cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Larger images and higher priority given to webspace

N/A

As anyone who uses their webspace will know, there's a lot of problems with the webspace, namely the inability to upload images larger than 64kb and the excessive loading times after editing a page. I would like to see these things sorted out because we're paying for a service we're not really getting, and that's causing all kinds of problems for anyone like me who depends on the webspace. I need the space to store images for my forum, but right now my forum is covered in little red X's where images are unavailable.

More priority please.This situation really needs sorting out. If anyone feels the same way, please post and voice your opinion.

Thanks.
8 REPLIES
N/A

PlusNet have already posted ETAs on when the normal homepages server, and a seperate ETA for the CGI server.

What you are asking of PlusNet is imposible and I for one would not stand for having a system implimented that has not gone through the correct build and testing proceedures, to satisfy a select few that can't wait this fact out.

The question on my mind here is what do you expect PlusNet to do other than there best?

Have you ever had to plan, design, build, test, impliment and maintain such a platform? Whilst you likely answer here is no, you should understand that you are not the only customer that is unpleased that this has to be done.

I for one am not the happiest person about slowdowns in design and implimentation, however, I do understand that to build such a cluster of systems that host a shared volume of over 7000 customer websites, is not easy.

You should remember you are not the only person PlusNet are hosting this platform for. They have the 6999+ other users to think about.

There is no 64Kb storage restriction. This only applies if using the web-interface to upload files. If using FTP, upto your space limit can be uploaded in a single file.
N/A

This is not a webspace problem. What you are talking about is the Website Builder tool provided for free on the portal, I guess as a means for non-technical users to create a few simple pages.

There are hundred's of "proper" site-building tools around costing from nothing up to thousands. When you get fed up with the limitations of the portal tool it's probably time to start using something better ...
N/A

There is no size limit to images or files on the WWW server (well, yes, 250MB). It is the website builder tool that is at fault.

A simple way to make a web page is to use Microsoft Word or Publisher to generate a page and then "save as HTML".
FTP this up to your site and there you are. May not be the prettiest way of doing it but overcomes the limitation of the website builder.
N/A

Why offer a service you can't provide? It's like running a bus service when there's no wheels on the bus!!

All I need right now is a quick fix because our last image host for the forum is unavailable now. I had to use my web space to do the job fast. I do not have time to learn a new program and do the job proffessionally, but basically it seems a little crazy that I'm having to look around the net for days on end when I have a quarter of a GB available.

Is it really too much to ask for the website building wizard to be fixed? When will it be fixed? There's no info as to when it'll be usable, just the fact that it's on low priority. All I need is like 2 MB space right now and this is incredibly frustrating.
N/A

By the way, I've tried using FTP a few days ago, and I had no idea how to find the http URL of the images I uploaded, just an FTP URL, which I can't use for displaying images. If someone can tell me how I'd be happier. Sorry for my n00bness here, but I'm no tech wizard or website designer.
N/A

Just like a well mainted bus, things can break. You have no choice but to wait until replacment parts are available.

PlusNet can and do provide. I honestly can't see what your problem is here.

For no money and 20 mins learning time, you can get a FTP client running, or if you use windows, Internet Explorer has a FTP tool built in.

If you choose not to use the alternative and more weel supported method of uploading files, then that is your problem.

I think there are far more important things that need to be fixed that.

What you are asking for here is to priortise somthing for you as if you are the only customer PlusNet have. You have to remember that ISP forums are usualy places where most of the message about how disgusted people with the service sare. Saying that, the lack of support for wanting this fixed, does kind of show how little a priority it is.
N/A

I am NOT asking for this to be prioritized for me exclusively, I think it should be prioritized for all. I have total respect for PlusNet (see my posts on ADSL guide under the name "Deeswift" if you need proof).
N/A

i think what are missing here are the practicalities of the 64k limit on the website builder tool. i have a feeling this is in place so that those with "n00bness" dont' accidently upload a 12mb bmp. granted many will know not to do this - but it is definately worth learning to use ftp - it offers many better options than the website builder tool.