cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LOL ! - Naughty Naughty Plusnet...

JonathanW
Grafter

Actually, the cable between the exchange and your home is still maintained by BT, even if you use LLU. The companies that offer LLU pay a bit of money to BT for the ability to LLU the line.

There's very few companies out there that actually put down their own cable between the exchange and your property. The only others that I can think off straight away are the cable companies, though they don't have it everywhere yet.
7 REPLIES
slytuk
Grafter

Ok, so I am on Premier 1. Always have been.

According to this link, http://portal.plus.net/support/broadband/network/sustainable_usage_guide.shtml , I am allowed 30 GB of peak time bandwidth.

I have exceeded 10 and 12.5 GB, therfore am under line restriction. Despite me disagreing with this, I can see from here, http://portal.plus.net/support/broadband/network/traffic_management.shtml?link=suptop5_bb3 , that this is documented.

So my line should only be shaped during peak hours ?

Wrong I checked my line connection several times and found I am only connecting at 448kbps, regardless of time of day.

Bit cheeky Plusnet, I have NOT exceeded my limit, and in "off peak" I am still restricted.

Also, what is particulally nice, is now my speed on the "stable rate" page, has dropped to 500 kbps. This could result in issues if the stable rate is used in BT or Plusnets line restriction software for general traffic.

Im interested into a "reasonable" explanation. It seems that if you use over 12.5gb peak time, your line is gonna be screwed both peak and offpeak. This is regardless of the fact you are supposedly allowed 30GB per month peak time (and no warning will be sent until you hit 80%).

Oh, and the final interesting quirk...

...Ive now gone through my billing cycle and still have off peak restricted to 512.

Nice
Mand
Grafter

Hi

Your speed has been adjusted after receipt of a Delta report from BT, BT are stating that your stable speed at present is 500k.

Your account is not currently being managed under the traffic management policy.
slytuk
Grafter

How can my stable rate have dropped from 4Mbps (3648 absolute minimum over last 2 weeks) to 500kbps ?

Surely my line can support more than 500 kbps !??!
JonathanW
Grafter

Its possible that the qualities of your line have caused this to drop, for example if you've had a few days of bad weather that've reduced the quality of your line, then BT will drop the stable rate to try and improve the uptime of your connection. Given time, this will increase back to where it was before. The best thing to dois ensure that you're syncing at the higher speed and then reboot your equipment at least once a day.
slytuk
Grafter

Livid.

Ill try putting a timer on the router so it schedules a disconnect in the middle of the night.

This is a bit cack though. I have a wifi router with no PCs wired to it.

When we were on 2mb connections, it never dropped below 2mb - now on "up to 8mb" it can drop to 500kbps due to weather.

I wish BT built a better infrastructure. Cheap bar stewards Tongue
N/A

I wish BT built a better infrastructure. Cheap bar stewards Tongue

The problems nowadays that it's now longer BT infrastructure as any Tom, Dick and Harry can come along and take it from BT (LLU). So who will invest in the street infrastructure in the future, Plusnet?
N/A

The cabling will be maintain by Openreach which at the moment is a division of BT. But in years to come this probably be sold off and BT will be just another LLU. What's the financial incentive for BT to invest millions into the infrastructure and not be able to make full returns on their investment. The reason that LLU providers pay 'a bit of money' is down to the fact the OFCOM reckon that BT has been paid many times over for their investment in the street copper over the years. But this copper is coming to the end of it's life because it was only meant to carry voice and the cabling is historical.

In my case I am on an exchange 3km's away but the nearest is only 400m away. For my to fully benefit from higher broadband speed means a large investment to re-route cabling to use the nearest exchange. Will this happen? no.