cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LLU trials

N/A

LLU trials

Hi,

I'm pleased to read that Plusnet will be entering some 'trials' for LLU connections, although I have a couple of questions.

1) LLU products are available to buy now off EasyNet (and others?) - so why does this require a trial? Or is it just the higher than 8Mbps speeds that need a trial? This is not like the 8Mbps BT connections which are indeed on trial...

2) Its seems to be implied that the LLU connections will not be provided with a price saving over BT connections (ie Planning on 4MB BT and LLU connections at say £30). I may (hope) have got the wrong end of the stick here, but it would seems odd to do this when the cost difference to the ISP is huge.

3) Will the trials be +net controlled, and will they be random?

I've been on an Easynet 8meg ready exchange enabled for sometime, and been tempted to sign up with the likes of f2s/ukonline which currently provide 8meg connections on my exchange. What I'd ideally like is to go LLU through +net, which I'd hoped was round the corner after they stated they were hooking up with EasyNet. I'm now confused as it seems to be said that Tiscali trials will start in december - why not go non-trial with Easynet now?
12 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

LLU trials

Hi,

There are various aspects to the trial. You are right that up to 8Mbps is available from Easynet right now, but part of the trial process is to "trial out" things like the ordering systems, fault reporting mechanisms and the customer experience of these services. There will be obvious differences between ordering an ADSL line with BT Wholesale and ordering with Easynet and then different with Tiscali. The registration system needs alterations to see what service a customer can get and place the appropriate order and then be able to track that order through the system.

The pricing is already set for the up to 4 and 8Mbps accounts and has been for a while.

Depends what you mean by PlusNet controlled. I mean the areas of the country are likely not going to be determined by ourselves initially, although we can submit expected customer numbers which may influence this.
Community Veteran

LLU trials

So the prices of £29.99 and £39.99 are to remain in place?

So those PN customers on an Easynet LLU'd exchange can have the 4mb product from Plusnet at £29.99 or 8mb from UKOnline for the same price?

We could also pay £39.99 for 8mb from plusnet, or have 8mb from UKOnline at a tenner less?

When BE get round to those exchanges we can see 24mb at less than both offerings.

Exactly who would sign up for a resold tiscali or Easynet product at these prices when the competition can offer more for less?
N/A

LLU trials

The pricing is already set for the up to 4 and 8Mbps accounts and has been for a while.

When BE get round to those exchanges we can see 24mb at less than both offerings.

A very good and valid point.
Out of pure interest, I contacted BE who have guaranteed my exchange to be LLU activated by March 2006 on a 1:1 contention (if I use them) at a massive price of just £20 per month guaranteed for life, with no alterations to the terms and conditions that are attached to that price.

I have no intentions on moving, but surely some competition can be put in place with regards to the pricing.
Whatever happened to the £21.99 for up to 8mb? Apply the same usage levels as that of a up to 2mb account.

Regards,
N/A

LLU trials

Thanks for the replies.

Yes I see what you mean by trials - trials for you to check out there service system. I would imagine this would be a +net controlled trial? I look forward to there implimentation.

I must confess to being rather dubious about you using the same price for 4mb and 8mb products irrelevant of whether they come from LLU or BT. That would give you a massive profit margin on the LLU products, due to there reduced cost compared to BT. Looking at UKOnlines price guide I see they have rather large reductions for LLU customers over those who are BT only. I can sign up to F2S 8meg uncapped service right now for £24.99/month, but would prefer to stay with Plusnet due 2 years problem free service. £40/month for the same speed might be streching it though....

Will wait on news of the trial and see what happens.
N/A

LLU trials

dont wanna go off topic but aside from the price is there gonna be a a change in the sup for llu customers because i dont think anyone is gonna pay more for 8 meg a sec and then hit the 15 gig limit for newsgroups in one day and the 100gig a month limit in a week because thats all it would take at 8meg and thats not leaving your pc downloading all day every day
JonathanW
Grafter

LLU trials

Hi,

With regards to the SUP on higher speed packages, the details are already available on the website, and the levels are higher than those for the 2mb package.

Though the usenet usage levels are seperate to the SUP, though as you can stil use the service, all be it at a reduced speed, after you've downloaded the first 15gb you would still be able to utilise usenet.
shellsong
Grafter

LLU trials

enterthematrix isn't really off topic because his query is still about LLU but methinks jwhiting is definitely off because his answer doesn't inform the LLU situation!-- Where's a moderator when you need one? :lol:
rammie1976
Grafter

LLU trials

Can someone post a link or two that gives a laypersons guide to LLUing, what it is and how it's happening...is it happening all over the UK? will it get out to sticksville where I reside?

Ta.
N/A

LLU trials

LLU'ing is simply when a company other than BT (such as EasyNet) install there own non-BT equipment in local exhanges. This allows ISP's to then pay EasyNet or whoever instead of BT (although it still uses your BT phone line from the exchange to your house).

The advantage has been that they have tended to install ADSL2+ ready equipment allowing up to 24Mbits in the near future, and are able to significantly undercut BT's prices. Look at Ukonline - they have 2 sets of prices - a cheaper set if your exchanged has been LLU'd.

www.samknows.com has extensive up to date info on exchanges (just enter your phone number).

LLU has initially concentrated on cities simply because as a commercial enterprise, it makes more money (more customers) but is expanding rapidly.
rammie1976
Grafter

LLU trials

Thanks - I thought it was more complicated... Shockedops:
N/A

LLU trials

Oooh, I'm LLU enabled on MRASH. God knows what half the stuff on there is but does that mean I could be LLU eligble for PlusNet?
N/A

LLU trials

Hi,

With regards to the SUP on higher speed packages, the details are already available on the website, and the levels are higher than those for the 2mb package.

Though the usenet usage levels are seperate to the SUP, though as you can stil use the service, all be it at a reduced speed, after you've downloaded the first 15gb you would still be able to utilise usenet.

Jon,

Sorry, but I do not believe that my original question was answered.

Will Plusnet be making any thoughts on trying to go into competition with other providers?
And why would it not be possible to apply the SUP levels of the up to 2mb onto the up to 8mb PROVIDING that the customer community agree and aware of it before hand.
Personally speaking, I wouldnt dream of paying £39.99 + per month for 8mb, be it LLU or BT based. not when I know I could get it everywhere else for £15 cheaper and with the same sort of restrictions in place.

Please could you answer this?

Regards,