cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LLU Down Speed Slower Than Max

N/A

Hi,

I was moved onto LLU yesterday from Max. Just wondered if anyone has had the same experience as me...

MaxDsl:
5.5 - 6mb Down, 448k Up
LLU:
4mb Down, 630k Up

I understand that the target SNR is a bit higher for LLU but its the same phone line connected to a different black box in the exchange. My Max line was very stable even at 1-3db (thanks Netgear) but on LLU i start at 12db, which drops slowly through the day, even into negative numbers, eventually dropping connection. The router reconnects immediately and magically im on the same speed but back to 12db!?!?!?

Got a question open but just wondered if anyone else has the same issue?

Cheers

Nicky
10 REPLIES
N/A

Possibly increased atten

I noticed increased attenuation on both the up and down when moved to LLU , this will obviously effect the speed the line can handle.

Did you ever opt out of LLU ?
N/A

Hi,

No i didn't opt out as i was looking forward to having the increased upload due to me working from home. It just seems a bit odd that the same phone line gives you a slower speed. I was told by a mate who's an Openreach engineer that all they do is swap some jumpers over to the LLU equipment. I wouln't have minded a small drop in download to get the higher upload but 2mb for an extra 180k is a bit naff....

Nicky
N/A

Hmm

You could always try and see if you can improve your SNR by removing any unneeded extension wire from the master BT socket.

In my case I have my router plugged into the master socket along with my DECT base and phone, then 2 more dect phones elsewhere in house.

the old extension wiring got removed when i moved in as it was causing untold problems.

my snr went from 12db to 29db @ 2mb when i did that.

not sure of your situation.
James
Grafter

Hi there,

Yes, the sync speed will be a bit slower on Tiscali, as their default noise margin is 12dB, as opposed to 6dB on BT.

I'm currently requesting a few additional profiles, including target margins of 6 & 9dB.
N/A

The target snr for maxdsl is 6db, whilst for llu it's 12db, so the speeds will usually be lower.

However, if you hang tight, PN have said they are trying to do some more profiles so that llu's can have different target snr's
shellsong
Grafter

What on earth made Tiscali choose 12dB? Even BT in their fixed speed ADSL heyday used 10dB as their decision point and the Tiscali equipment must be capable of discriminating to tighter margins than that!
amjrobson
Grafter

Hi there,

Yes, the sync speed will be a bit slower on Tiscali, as their default noise margin is 12dB, as opposed to 6dB on BT.

I'm currently requesting a few additional profiles, including target margins of 6 & 9dB.

James,

Do you know when these will be availbale I requested my SNR to be lowered two weeks ago after reading the LLU FAQ but was told they are not available and to call again in another 4 weeks.
N/A

Hi,

Thanks for you're input, lsat time i tried the master socket it was worse, will have my BT friend come and help me out i think.

Anyway syncing at 2.6 this morning now and cant connect, as per a few others by the looks of it...

Nicky
N/A

James, will the new profiles include being able to turn off Interleaving also? I want to be able to play games properly again. How long before we get our lines at least as good as they were on BT?
carrot63
Grafter

I have exactly the same experience as nickyrhodes, with the additional problem that my "stable rate" has not been updated and is currently 1500 instead of the 8000 I understand is supposed to be set on LLU. As a result I get no more that 1500 Kbps download speed on a synch of 3000-3500 k. Its been like this since 24th July, before this I could get downloads up to 3000 k on Max.

I raised a second ticket (20044270) on 11th Aug, so I'm just enjoying watching paint dry like everyone else waiting for someone to look at it.

On a more positive note, I did get a positively bouncy email from Plus finally advising me they'd moved me to LLU, and utilising an interesting new definition of the word "successfully". It's encouraging, as this is the first communication I've had from Plus about LLU, and only 4 weeks after the order (which I was unaware of) was raised, 3 weeks since I raised an opt-out ticket (now mysteriously vanished from the list of tickets), 2 weeks since I raised a ticket about decreasing speed, which I was told was "acceptable", and 10 days since I figured out I'd been moved to LLU.