cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

KB/s versus kbps

ForeverArsenal
Grafter

KB/s versus kbps

I probably should know this but can't recall.

I'm on PAYG (on RIN at the mo and very happy with it).

When I P2P after midnight most times average approx 40 KB/s
down,so what would 40KB/s equate to in kbps down ? please.
14 REPLIES
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

KB/s versus kbps

Hi Barry,

Multiply by 8.

40kB/s (kilobytes per second) x 8 (bits in a byte) = 320kbps.

Kind Rgds,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Community Veteran

KB/s versus kbps

And 1KB, thats a BIG K and BIG B is 1024 bytes.

SW
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

KB/s versus kbps

And just to add a little confusion Smiley

1024 bytes is also known as 1KiB (kibibyte) and 1000 bytes = 1KB (kilobyte). See

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kibibyte
ForeverArsenal
Grafter

KB/s versus kbps

Hi Barry,

Multiply by 8.

40kB/s (kilobytes per second) x 8 (bits in a byte) = 320kbps.

Kind Rgds,

Hi Bob.
Thanks for quick reply.

So if I switched to option 3 from my PAYG in theory the worst I could expect on P2P at the worst restricted times is 256kbps = 32 KB/s down and thats with all other things being good,ie enough seeds to feed at that speed and Plusnet not being over busy at these peak times :?:

At the NR times it could be up in the hundreds KB/s down as I have had at times (best 357KB/s on RIN after midnight).

Have read that RIN is likely to close :roll: and understand that I won't be able to stay on the PAYG account I have now as that will close.

Don't do massive P2P,2-3 gb month and thats not every month
but can't stand 2KB/s down as I have on normal PAYG (been much better on RIN)not while my mate next door downloads P2P up in the hundreds most all the time with BT option 2.
Thinking :mrgreen:
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

KB/s versus kbps

So if I switched to option 3 from my PAYG in theory the worst I could expect on P2P at the worst restricted times is 256kbps = 32 KB/s down and thats with all other things being good,ie enough seeds to feed at that speed and Plusnet not being over busy at these peak times

Yep, assuming that source can give you that speed then yeah, that's the sort of speed you would see on P2P on Option 3 when the rate limits are at their lowest.

At the NR times it could be up in the hundreds KB/s down as I have had at times (best 357KB/s on RIN after midnight).

Indeed, downloaded a file at over 400KB/s the other night, have had 800+KB/s in the past overnight and certainly in the overnight hours that should continue the same.

Have read that RIN is likely to close

Not going to close, but at present it's currently only on PAYG accounts.

and understand that I won't be able to stay on the PAYG account I have now as that will close

If you don't want to change then you are more than welcome to stay on your current account type. There are NO plans to move people off their existing accounts if they don't want to. If you do choose to move then you might not be able to use the RIN trial.

Edit: typo
ForeverArsenal
Grafter

KB/s versus kbps

So if I switched to option 3 from my PAYG in theory the worst I could expect on P2P at the worst restricted times is 256kbps = 32 KB/s down and thats with all other things being good,ie enough seeds to feed at that speed and Plusnet not being over busy at these peak times

Hi
Many thanks for clearing up few points for me,appreciated.
Will now have a ponder Smiley
Fixes: 119

KB/s versus kbps

There are plans to move people off their existing accounts if they don't want to.

I'm hoping you forgot to say 'no plans' or you totally contradict what is being said on the Introducing Broadband Your Way thread.Wink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Mand
Grafter

KB/s versus kbps

Yep,

There are NO plans to make people move onto the new products, with the exception of BB Basic, which is the only product where everyone on that product type will benefit by moving.

We're not planning to withdraw Plus, Premier or PAYG, so if you're happy on one of those products you're welcome to stay on it.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

KB/s versus kbps

D'Oh, typo.
Fixes: 119

KB/s versus kbps

Dave, you wanna see some of the mistakes I make before editing my posts :lol:

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

KB/s versus kbps

I just tend to type too fast and miss words out on occassions. My brain works faster than my fingers Smiley
wheelnut
Grafter

KB/s versus kbps

<pedant mode on>

As a point of reference little 'k' is used to denote the unit prefix kilo, as in kB for kilobyte and kbps, kilo bit per second. In common usage is used to denote both 10^3 and 2^10.

The prefix big 'K' or kibi is used to denote the binary prefix 2^10 (or 1024) only.

Personally I always stick with the little 'k' prefix as the binary prefix system falls apart with the text higher prefixes of M,G,T and P.

<pedant mode off/>
itchyfeet
Grafter

KB/s versus kbps

Yep, assuming that source can give you that speed then yeah, that's the sort of speed you would see on P2P on Option 3 when the rate limits are at their lowest.

Is this true? It was my understanding reading the info about BBYW that 256kbps was the best you could expect from Plus.net at the worst affected times. i.e. it could in fact be much worse.

Can someone clarify?
Ianwild
Grafter

KB/s versus kbps

It could be worse yes, but it's what you can realistically expect, and if you don't get that you are very entitled to shout at us and we should at least be able to tell you why. That is unless we have already reported in service status that there is a problem with something somewhere.

Speeds will naturally vary, and may be affected by things outside of our control too, so we can't make any guarantees at all. Realistic expectation is as far as we can go!

Ian