cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just when you thought you where shut of them

N/A

You look at your online banking and see you have been lifted of £21.99!!!!! Evil What is so hard about cancelling someones account and taking the £14.99 migration and cancelling the accountHuh Why is my account still openHuh? Why are these people taking money for a product I am no longer subscribed to?? I have been with Zen internet (a decent ISP) for over a month now!!! Why am I still having to correspond. Plusnet had best sort this quick
14 REPLIES
JonathanW
Grafter

Hi,

When someone migrates out, we do get notified by BTW of this, however as this is a manual report, rather than an automated one, accounts are occasionally left open. Which is why we advise customer's to raise a ticket on their account, once they have migrated out, to ensure that the account is closed off.

Though this should now be sorted out for you, on the ticket that you raised.
N/A

Another shoddy process from the Plus.net team!!!!
Community Veteran

downess,

Do you know the full ins and outs of this process? Do you know it's definatly a shoddy process by PlusNet? It sounds to me like a process coming from BT, so therefore its a shoddy process for all ISPs isn't it?

Chris
Wheelie
Grafter

Another shoddy process from the Plus.net team!!!!

I fail to see how you come to this conclusion.

If I were migrating out as soon as the migration was complete I would inform my old ISP that it is complete and not rely on someone from BTW to inform my losing ISP that the move is complete.

I have seen a lot of post like this and at the end of the day its all down to the person who is migrating to make sure they inform the losing ISP that they have now moved, that is if they don't want to be charged more than they should be anyway. Its no good blaming any ISP if your to lazy to tell them yourself now is it.
ceridwen
Grafter

I have seen a lot of post like this and at the end of the day its all down to the person who is migrating to make sure they inform the losing ISP that they have now moved, that is if they don't want to be charged more than they should be anyway. Its no good blaming any ISP if your to lazy to tell them yourself now is it.

I've seen a lot of posts like this too, and in 90% of the cases the person was advised by a CS rep that they did not need to contact the ISP, as that would be done automatically bt BTW. So it is not laziness but foolishly believing the CS rep's advice.

Matthew
Wheelie
Grafter

Well since the first part of my post I said don't rely on someone else and I did add in the quoted part, that is if they don't want to be charged more than they should be anyway.

I would have thought common sense would tell you to make sure you inform the losing ISP regardless of who tells you what, if you do it yourself you know its done so I stand by what I said.
N/A

How on earth to you come to the assumption that BT are at faultHuh

Please explainHuh

It's down to the ISP to ensure that their customer's are disconnected and not charged further. The customer should not have to chase a company to ensure this.

Come on................
N/A

Well..................
JonathanW
Grafter

Hi,

We do all we can to ensure that a customer's account is closed off after they migrate. However, if we never actually receive notification from BTW that the circuit has beenmigrated to another ISP, we're unable to close the account itself.

This is why its always wise to ensure that you inform your old ISP as soon as the migration is complete.
N/A

Are you trying to say that you have no way of knowing when the migration is complete??

Can you not run report's?Huh
JonathanW
Grafter

We receive a report from BTW regarding this, however this is a manual process and not every migraiton is always listed on there, which is why its possible that someone is missed.

The only report we could run on our side would be to show which customers have been given MAC Keys, but not all of these are used, so that report wouldn't be very useful.
Wheelie
Grafter

@ downess

Ok lets see

A customer has asked to migrate out gets a MAC Key and passes it on to another ISP and tells the new ISP they want to migrate on day 29 a MAC is good for 30 days.

So say 10 days into the migration process the person decides to go away for a a week so shuts down the computer and router and off they go, now like you say any ISP would monitor the users connection and if it was dead for say 3 days they would then think they had migrated and would then close there account thinking they had moved. Not sure they could do it like that mind you.

Now bearing in mind the losing ISP has absolutely no idea when the migration is to take place or even if the migration is going to happen as some people get MAC Keys and don't use them, who the customer is moving to in most cases or even if it has happened that is of course unless BTW or the customer informs them, the only evidence they would have is the fact that the customer is no longer active on his connection for x number of days.

So yes I guess you are right and it should be all down to the losing ISP
ceridwen
Grafter

I would have thought common sense would tell you to make sure you inform the losing ISP regardless of who tells you what, if you do it yourself you know its done so I stand by what I said.

I don't disagree with you on this, and I'm glad that jwhilting is also giving similar advice.

That doesn't change the fact that there are plenty of reports on the forums of CS reps (including CS reps at PN) explicitly telling customers not to contact the ISP when the migration has succeeded as this happens automatically. So whilst the accounting prodecures might not be at fault (or "shoddy, to quote our friend downess"), the CS procedures are.

Matthew
Wheelie
Grafter

@ ceridwen

I do agree that customers shouldn't be told such things it would be far easier to ask them to log onto the portal once they have been successfully migrated and raise a ticket stating as much or even better having a migration complete path added to the portal. It would say a whole lot of heartache on both sides.