cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just so I'm clear...

N/A

Just so I'm clear...

I'm on Broadband Premier 512k at £21.99/month, and I'm due to be upgraded according to the BT pdf file this month.
When the FUP was announced, I was under the impression that everyone was going to get speed upgrades as high as their line could handle, but it appears now that whether the line can handle it or not, 2mb will be the limit at £21.99. Is that correct?
So even if my line turns out to be capable and the service is available in my area I would then have to pay more (much more it seems) to get the 4 and 8mb services?
This is a little odd as I was also under the impression that it wasn't so much, if at all, the speed that cost the ISPs money, but the bandwidth usage... hence the need for the FUP, which I guess has morphed into a "we'll have words with you if we think you're dling too much". So if all the above is correct why charge more when the service costs PlusNet the same?
4 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Just so I'm clear...

Hi,

So long as your line supports it then for £21.99 you will get a speed increase to 2Mbps. Unfortunately it just isn't possible to offer 8Mbps speeds at the same low price without fair usage. Something just had to give.
N/A

Just so I'm clear...

I don't mean to be difficult but could you explain the reason why 4/8mb are now unavailable because of the FUP withdrawl? I assume in the end there are limits to how much you can download now. The only difference I can tell at the moment is that instead of it being clearly layed out and regulated with FUP, it's a matter of PN will decide when they believe someone is "overusing" the service. Which isn't clear whether that is more or less then what was stated in the FUP plans.
In other words what does it matter to PN what speeds people are going at if there are still download limits as such that can be enforced to keep bandwidth costs down?
N/A

Just so I'm clear...

Its because plusNet couldn't implement the FUP so I would guess they sat down and worked out much on average a 2mb, 4mb and 8mb user would take in bandwidth worked out the wholesale cost to BT for that amount of traffic and then came up with what they are now offering on Premier.

Fair enough you are paying for that extra speed and bandwidth. What I think is disgusting and I have said this in another thread is the way plusNet are dishonestly marketing the 4mb and 8mb services ie you can have 2mb now and higher speed later and you pay £29.99 or £39.99 for the privilege now. What if your line can only handle 2mb or the BT trial for MaxDSL goes into next year? Are plusNet going to refund the difference between the package you were supposed to be on and the £21.99 it costs for the 2mb package? No, they will give you a free downgrade and pocket the difference.
Community Veteran

Just so I'm clear...

brealeyfam IMO is spot on with these observations and I share these thoughts!