cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just not great speeds

rossco

Just not great speeds

Hi my connection just doesnt seem to be as fast as it could be imo. These are my results

--------------------------------------------------------
Bt speedtester....
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 5000 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 6240 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 4520 kbps
-----------------------------------------------------
My routers details....

Model Name DSL-G624M Firmware Version DSL-G624M.UK.B02T09.20051212

ADSL Line Status
ADSL State Show Time
Data Path Interleave

DSP Version E.38.2.23 Operation Mode ADSL

Upstream DownStream
ADSL Link Speed 448 kbps
ADSL Link Speed 6240 kbps

SNR 21 db
SNR 16.5 db

CRC 0
CRC 2

FEC 0
FEC 0

HEC(ATM Layer) 0
HEC(ATM Layer) 0
------------------------------------------------------
You are currently connected to the "Telehouse North, Juniper 6" gateway. This gateway is sometimes known as thn-ag1.

-----------------------------------------------------
After reading up on this alot on here and eleswere on the web ive tryied all the tip's tricks, master bt skt, differant hardware etc etc and still no luck.
I'm confused as why i can get 4520 kbps to the bt exchange bt not only half that to the outside world??

Thanks Ross
46 REPLIES
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

Just not great speeds

This may be due to the RWIN or MTU settings on your computer.

Have a look at for some tweaks here which should increase the speed for you.

Most people find the RWIN setting of around 116800 gives some of the best performance.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
rossco

Just not great speeds

Wow thanks for such a speedy reply!
Wow number 2.....

Thanks for the top tip!
Ive never seen 5mb on this line!!!!
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Just not great speeds

Yeah, we've seen quite a few similar results over the past few weeks, the faster speeds of Max generally mean that a higher RWIN is needed to get the best speeds. We added a new help page a few days ago about this as well:

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/troubleshooting/rwin_guide.shtml
rossco

Just not great speeds

nice one,
So are there any help pages for speeding up my p2p. It's only running at 20ish k most of the time but during peak times it really stuggles!

Thanks Ross
Community Veteran

Just not great speeds

my download speed has died on it's feet I connect at 5500 but can't get my downloads any faster that 100, they used to 550 plus until some point this week.

line sped 5000 4 downloads from different websites all below 100 it's taken 5mins to get 13mbs.

Sadly I cna;t change the rwin in vista. all was well until a few days ago

A
N/A

Just not great speeds

This is what currently saying on my speed test!

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 500 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 928 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 447 kbps

I use to have 600+kBps download before. And I haven't changed anything on my setting (router, filter, socket, etc). Can anyone suggest the solution for this problem?
Community Veteran

Just not great speeds

Im getting a drasticaly reduced speed on PAYG too. I went over my 4GB prepaid allowance, but so what - Im just charged for another 2GB at £1.80.

Since that point it appears my http speeds have dropped to around half what I used to get, it seems others are suffering speed issues again too.
N/A

Just not great speeds

FWIW I have the same speeds as usual (never tweaked my MTU etc). I have not been throttled but am like you Chesterfield, on the main Chesterfield exchange.

Using the PN speedtester:-

Date Speed Achieved (kbps)
29-04-2007 09:59:44 4083.7
28-04-2007 17:49:21 4104.9
24-02-2007 22:33:26 4505.2

According to
http://homepage.tinet.ie/~leslie/testpage/testlrge.htm
this corresponds to about a "4Meg" connection.

Douglas
Community Veteran

Just not great speeds

Ive rebooted my router a few times now over the last few days - which has resulted in my IP Rate being dropped down to 3500 now from BT instead of the previous 4000.

A bt speedtest showed 56kb which then asked me to do a second test using the bt_test_user connection.

Start the second test, it gets to 96% and sits there - forever. Try it again, same reuslt - sits there forever.

So ive given up.
Community Veteran

Just not great speeds

Has anyone EVER got this new BT speed test to work all the way through, or is it just some new way of fobbing the customer off?

Iv managed to get a 56kbps speedtest result from speedtest.bbmax.co.uk

Then I run a bt speedtest whilst connected to PN, and it returns 34kbps. I then get the option to do a second test and I have to connect with the bt_test_user@plus.net - which it does fine.

Then running the second test, it gets to about 64%, and an error appears saying "exception:connection timed out" in the box with the blue line it at the top - yet the blue line then goes on to continue to 96%, then it just sits there.

Im getting completely and utterly fed up with this line, never any problem found by BT, never any problem found by PN, and I just sit here every so often with a sub 50kb connection for days on end.

Im convinced that during all this meddling with ellacoyas etc, PN have managed to screw something up - my connection was fine for years, then all of a sudden I start getting this rubbish every so often.

Short of paying BT to put me a brand new line in all the way back to the exchange, I havent got a clue what to do.

Reboot the router and it works for a while, then speeds back to unusable again - changing router has no effect either, same behavior. Smacks of some configuration error somewhere, and I havent changed my setup anywhere.

Any chance of Someone taking a look at my profile, and also asking why my BRAS has been lowered to 3500, Oh and I bet I have interleaving switched on with all the reboots I have to do to use my connection, which would explain crappy gaming too.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Just not great speeds

nice one,
So are there any help pages for speeding up my p2p. It's only running at 20ish k most of the time but during peak times it really stuggles!

Thanks Ross

I wrote this about 6 months ago:

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?p=367754&highlight=utorrent#367754

Don't think I've made any changes to my setup since then and still get very good speeds particular overnight where on good torrents I'll normally get 800+KB/s.

Only other thing I would add to that I think is to ensure that the port you are using is forwarded on your router and firewall.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Just not great speeds

my download speed has died on it's feet I connect at 5500 but can't get my downloads any faster that 100, they used to 550 plus until some point this week.

Nothing obvious showing on your account or the BT speed history. What does the BT Speedtest show?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Just not great speeds

I use to have 600+kBps download before. And I haven't changed anything on my setting (router, filter, socket, etc). Can anyone suggest the solution for this problem?

Hi,

Looks like your line resync'd below 1Mbps around 15/04/2007 17:28:26 (give or take an hour) and the sync speed hasn't increased since.

Does that time help at all? Anything that may have change around that time that could have caused the line to resync? For example, new phone, Sky box, central heating, etc.

Have you rebooted the router since the problem started?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Just not great speeds

Im getting a drasticaly reduced speed on PAYG too. I went over my 4GB prepaid allowance, but so what - Im just charged for another 2GB at £1.80.

Have you tried connecting on the RIN network? If that gives the same speeds then it would rule out anything on your account profile or on the Ellacoyas. There's nothing obvious on your account, the BT speed history shows a speed of 4000kbps which hasn't changed in 2 months and interleaving is switched off.

My personal thinking is that it has to be something exchange side that's causing the problems, connecting on RIN would add more evidence either way.