cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just in time - I cancelled Plusnet

N/A

............ well, so I thought.

After talking to people recently who warned me about plusnet (wish I did it before signing up), I spoke to my current ISP - Pipex - last night and they offered me a better deal to stay with them.

They also told me about the major problems generally with upgrading to 8 meg - mostly down to BT Wholesale, it seems - and why they were being cautious about promising it to their customers.

All well and good, I thought. Pipex were able to cancel the MAC transfer or whatever they do, so I thought fine Plusnet will see the cancellation and just dump my account request - without ever having provided me with broadband access.

Then I received 3 emails from plusnet this morning - 1 saying my account had been activated. Odd, as I still have broadband access and didn't need to change my user ID or password from my Pipex settings in my router.

And another saying there were problems with the transfer request. Great, I thought, I spoke to Pipex just in time and all is well.

Then a third email saying Plusnet had charged me my transfer fee (14.99) plus my first month's access.

But they haven't completed my access with them - as they told me in their second email, and as I know this minute, connecting to the internet using my Pipex info.

SO WHY HAVE I BEEN CHARGED ONE MONTH'S ACCESS? I managed to find the place on this web site to cancel my account and I guess I am hoping that they cancel my account and that's that.

Not holding out much hope of a refund of the first month's fee for a service I didn't ever get - a lesson learned and one more unsatisfied "customer" (for a service I was charged for without / prior to receiving) to add to the list.
18 REPLIES
N/A

Hi there,

To make sure that you would have cancelled your transfer and to make sure plusnet knew about this ( as you should have a cooling off period ) you need to raise a ticket. You are normally charged for your first month in advance following initial tests to make sure you can get broadband.

You need to raise a ticket on this issue and explain everything in full details. It may also be worth just placing the ticket ID in a post on this thread as a form of symbolic reference ( to see if comms feel it within their hearts to accelerate the ticket Wink ).

Regards,
N/A

So am I or am I not with Plusnet

thanks Tom for your helpful info.

it gets curiouser and curiouser...........

I haven't had ANY interrupted service in my broadband connection (my router is always on) yet I received a reply to my query to Plusnet saying that BT had confirmed to them that I was definitely connected with Plusnet.

They said I could test it by turning off my router and trying to log in again. Yeah right!
Given I have to pay for the first month of Plusnet in advance, I might as well leave things as they are and see whether Pipex bill me next month or not.

But the fact that I wasn't disconnected from my broadband at all, not a sausage of non connectivity - does anyone know if this is usual and if there is any technical way of confirming who my ISP is?Huh
N/A

One way to do it is to open a command prompt. (Start>run>cmd[return]) then type tracert www.google.co.uk
You'll have a couple of lines as the traffic 'hops' to your router, then the next line will contain something like lo0-plusnet.pte-ag2.plus.net if you are connected via PN.
JonathanW
Grafter

There is generally very little downtime when it comes to a migration from one ISP to another, though you will normally reach a point where your connection to the previous ISP drops and then you have to change the username over to the new ISP.

Out of interest, you're not using a wireless connection at all are you? As if you are its possible that you've picked up a different wireless network and haven't noticed the fact that your router has actually disconnected from the internet.

With regards to the tickets that you've raised, I would advise that you take a look at the responses provided on them, as they have already been picked up by a senior agent in the CSC.
N/A

As I migrated from BT to PN 3 weeks ago. I know what happens. Because BT and PN did not inform exactly when the migration will happen you are happily working away and then notice that you have lost internet connection. When you examine the modem you will see the it can't reconnect because of invalid username and passsword. Change these to your plus net account username/password everything works okay.

As for BT their records they are no good. Received my BT bill last Friday and BT was still charging me for their broadband. Phoned up support (20 seconds and I was talking to an operator) and they said I was still on BT BB and it was impossible to have 2 BB suppliers at the same time. Eventually they took my word that I was no longer on BT BB and cancelled my account. They had no record that I had migrated 2 weeks earlier. They only had on record that I had requested a MAC
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

That's because BT wholesale have to inform BT retail (the ISP) and BTw are notoriously bad at informing the ISPs - which is why people migrating out are advised to raise a ticket to Plusnet when their migration completes.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

Confirmed its still Pipex

thanks Sally and James.

I did what you said and amongst all the stuff that came back, it mentions PIPEX.NET 4 times and not a mention at all of plusnet.

I can't seem to paste in the screen shot here but have put the image on a bit of web space so those that wish to see it, can do.

http://www.funnelweb.net/200506trace.jpg

And to the chap who asked about whether I am using someone else's wireless connection, not sure how to determine this? I know my own router has its wireless switched off and I have two computers connected to the internet and both are working ok (both are physically plugged into the router.)

Any tips on how I could confirm this?

regards Sue
shellsong
Grafter

Did you cancel your order with PlusNet? If so, when? The PlusNet weasel words say
4.2 Acceptance is made when you receive notification of acceptance, or when the Service is activated, or when we accept receipt of the Charges (whichever is soonest) at which point, subject to clause 5 below, the Agreement shall commence. When we have processed your online sign-up registration, and received any Charges that are due from you, we will then provide you with the relevant Service.

As far as I can see they have yet to successfully activate your account properly since, unless I am mistaken, Pipex still have ownership of the ADSL tag on your line (I suggest you check this with Pipex first before accepting what PlusNet tell you)

Under these circumstances it would seem likely that formal acceptance has not even been completed and the 7 day Distance Sales cooloff period is still open to you even if you failed to cancel within 7 days of the initial intimations of agreement given by PlusNet in their emails.

This would mean that you should be able to insist on cancellation with full remuneration of any money so far taken by PlusNet
7. Cancellation
7.1 If you are a Consumer:

7.1.1 Agreements for the purchase of Services and/or Equipment made over the telephone or through our website, or by mail order, are, with the exception of certain excepted Agreements subject to The Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000 ("the Regulations").

7.1.2 If you have purchased Services then you may cancel this Agreement in relation to the Services in accordance with the Regulations within 7 Working Days beginning on the day after the day on which the Agreement is concluded. If the Services include line installation then, in relation to the line installation Service and related Services, this 7 day period is deemed to commence on the day after the day on which the Customer line is installed. In any 7 day period under this paragraph, you lose the right to cancel if the Service is used or otherwise performed within the 7 day period.
N/A

Ticket number 19415895

Yep, I cancelled on the 18th May at 7pm. Ticket number above. Two hours later I received an automated email telling me I had been connected to Plusnet.

And charging me. I had tried to cancel my credit card within the plus net web site but it only seemed to want to let me add other cards, not cancel ones. And I got this reply to my ticket above.

But my account hasn't completed, has it, if I am still with Pipex?? It seems to me that Pipex fortunately cancelled the request just in time. (Hopefully).

See my next post,

regards Sue

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Your original question 7:00pm, Thursday 18th May 2006

[Support Wizard Journey] [Additional Information] hi there, I wish to cancel my Plusnet account which is in the process of being activated. It hasn't been activated yet so please stop processing my order immediately and cancel my credit card details on your system. thanks, Sue (funnelweb)

CSC Agent 8:37pm, Thursday 18th May 2006

Dear ,
You account has completed and it would not be possible to cancel your account at this time. You will need to give 30 days notice if you still wish to cancel. Please advise how you wish to proceed.

Regards,

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
shellsong
Grafter

Looking at what I just posted I realised that the weasel words are even more weaselly than I thought if you look at the phrase I've highlighted in red, although the legality seems dubious to me-- any distance selling I know of requires the notice period for cancellation to commence from the time of receipt of the goods or services, not from the time that the supplier sends a despatch note or extracts money from your account! To save wrangling I hope you cancelled within 7 days of receiving the first email!
4.2 Acceptance is made when you receive notification of acceptance, or when the Service is activated, or when we accept receipt of the Charges (whichever is soonest) at which point, subject to clause 5 below, the Agreement shall commence. When we have processed your online sign-up registration, and received any Charges that are due from you, we will then provide you with the relevant Service.
N/A

And my second cancellation request

I raised another ticket on 19th May after being astounded to find that my credit card had been charged but that I did not have any change in broadband provider.

to cut a long story short, Plusnet said I had been migrated and asked me for the phone number I was using. I gave it to them along with a screenshot of a trace showing that Pipex were definitely still my provider, and this is the answer I got.

See the bit at the bottom in bold. Does this really happen?? Or could BT's records be wrong?

regards Sue

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Dear ,
Please see the response to the previous ticket. In summary it your account has been migrated to us. If you can still connect with your old ISP please confirm the telephone number of the line you connect from so we can see where any abnormalities lie.

Regards,

Your comment 8:27am, Saturday 20th May 2006

hi

the telephone number I connect with is xxxxxxxx and my old ISP was Pipex.

I have switched my computer off and back on and I can still connect with my Pipex account details. (Haven't switched off router though but surely if I now need to log in with my Plus Net details, my router would simply no longer connect with my Pipex ones?)

Until I confirm which ISP I am definitely connected with, I won't proceed to cancel my account with you. If I am indeed connected with Plusnet, I'll keep the account but if it turns out I am still connected with Pipex, I'll cancel my Plusnet one.

If all that makes sense.

regards Sue

Your comment 8:59am, Saturday 20th May 2006

hi ,

this might prove which ISP I am connecting through? I ran this test this morning, after someone in the forums suggested it.

http://www.funnelweb.net/200506trace.jpg

regards Sue

CSC Agent 3:14pm, Saturday 20th May 2006

Dear Ms ,
I would agree that it certainly would appear that you are still connecting through pipex, I will not dispute this, as i can see no connections on your plusnet username yet either.

However BTs systems indicate that your line has migrated over to us & the order is complete.

You do sometimes get a crossover period of a few days during a migration when you can connect to both ISPs

Regards,
N/A

Its true what they said

In my last post, I mentioned that Plusnet had told me that it could be possible to connect to broadband using both my old and new ISP log in details for a few days.

So I just logged off via my router then tried to reconnect using my Plusnet info to test it and it worked. Then I logged off and back on using my Pipex details and it also worked. So I went back to Plusnet, which I will now use going forward.

And I ran a trace to confirm it. Here it is.

http://www.funnelweb.net/200506trace2.jpg

So I am now with Plusnet, and everyone deserves a chance so I will give them a try for a while.

I'm only using 2 meg ADSL (is that correct?) until I get upgraded to 8 meg. I used one of those ADSL Checker sites and is says both my exchange and line are currently enabled to receive it, so hopefully I will be ok.

I chose to move to Plusnet for 8 meg speed on the advice of a friend but against the advice of others, but fair dues - they have responded very quickly to each of my tickets and been both helpful and courteous.

Though their telephone helpline could be improved - a queue maybe instead of hanging up? At least with Pipex, even if I sat on hold for 50 minutes, I felt I had a chance of eventually speaking with someone.

Anyway, so I now have 2 meg. Does that mean I join the queue for 8 meg and will get it at some point over the summer? No rush, just wondering.

regards Sue

Smiley
JonathanW
Grafter

I've added another response onto your ticket for you, regarding the connection speed and future upgrades.

As for the support line, depending on how busy the support team are it will let you queue. But if this queue is too long then it will advise you of this and then terminate the call. This is a new feature, rather than where the old system used to present an engaged tone if the support team were extreamly busy.
shellsong
Grafter

Since BTw have suspended implementation of speed upgrades for the time being until they can sort out the bugs that the trials of MaxDSL missed, I would suspect that, depending on what sort of PlusNet account you are on, your upgrade is likely to be in the (late?) autumn unless you do a Queue Jump