cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just how accutare is the usage chart

N/A

Plusnet is the first ISP I have used that has a usage chart available online. I was actually quite suprised to see just how much I use. It seemed awfully high. So I did a little test.

Last night, at about 11pm I cleared my emule stats
This morning at 7:45 I looked at them.

Download 2.0gb
Upload 0.3gb

So from that I can conclude a usage of 2.3 gb.

I looked at my stats and lo-and-behold, I have used 3.6gb. This is with the disclaimer at the bottom that these stats are 2 hours out of date.

anyone else notice this?

Cheers

-- Phil
4 REPLIES
prichardson
Grafter

Hi,

The does seem quite high, provided that your tests are accurate and in a clean environment.

I would say eMule was a very poor choice of client to be using for this test for sveral reasons.

eMule has data transfer overhead to allow it to search for sources. This isn't included in the data transfer stats.

Data that is downloaded but discarded as fake/invalid, is also not included. As is data that does not complete from a source.

In addition to this, the usage tool on the portal is bassed on 1GB = 1000MB, where-as eMule uses 1GB = 1024MB. Both eMule and the portal transfer stats are correct.

eMule is correct because it measures the filesize downloaded, where-as the VMBU measure data transit.

Add a sprinkle of random background noise and likely plenty of failed connections from eMule clients, and you can add a few extra MB onto that.

All in all, that would get pretty close to the magic 3.6GB.

Kind Regards,
JonathanW
Grafter

The VMBU tool is generally fairly accurate, though as it says it takes about two hours for any usage to show up.

Plus, depending on what type of equipment you are using, there might be other background traffic that is having an effect on your figures, though this is generally low and not a cause for concern.

If you are worried about the extra usage, then I would suggest running a full virus and spyware sweep on your machine.
N/A

Thanks for the quick reply Smiley

With hindsight you are right, the built in stats are probably a bad yard stick to use. I would never have guessed there would be a 50% overhead though.

Cheers for clearing that up

Would the usage meter built into my router be a better source of infomation?

-- Phil
prichardson
Grafter

Hi,

Likely yes. Although, it does depend what measurement unit they use and if or not it only includes data from estblished connections.

Kind Regards,