cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just changed to plusnet and wish i hadnt

N/A

I have just switched to Plusnet from Wanadoo. I received an email telling me the switch had been completed at 18.30 on the 27th june. (it took 3 weeks)
.When I logged on to my computer at 08.00 on the 28th my Wanadoo conection was still live, is this normal. I tried to conect to plusnet using the settings they gave me and cant. Now I have no connection at all.

My computer tells me I have a connection through my belkin modem and wireless router and the signal strength is excellent. I just cant get on to any sites. I have double checked all the router settings etc and they are correct .

Does anyone know what could be wrong. I have neen waiting over 15 hours for a reply to my querie from plusnet. Not the service I hoped for!

Regards Rob
15 REPLIES
csogilvie
Grafter

I assume you can't re-connect to wanadoo.

A couple of things to try:

Can you connect if you use:

Username = bt_test@startup_domain
Password = (ignored)

If yes, can you connect if you use the following details:

Username = bt_test_user@plusdsl.net or @plus.net
Password = (ignored)
N/A

Still problems - only been a member for 36 hours

Came home from work at 00.30 tried to connect again "bingo" 2 computers connected. 1 hour later the connection dropped. What worries me is the number of people with similar problems on this forum. They are not going to sort this over night. I signed a 12 month contract, but because I need a reliable service for my work I may have to cut my losses and pay a penalty to get out. I am not even sure what that would cost me - does any one know?

Does anyone else feel like this?

Regards Robert
N/A

Use the 7 day cooling off period to get out.

If it's a MaxDSL related problem you're having, then you will have these issues regardless of any ISP you goto. As far as I know now, most (if not all) are provisioning new customers on MaxDSL.
N/A

Even if you will get similar problems elsewhere, there's plenty of other
reasons to get out while you can!

RUN!
N/A

Does anyone know how this user can terminate under the "cooling off" terms?
Can he just raise a ticket and request a MAC key to migrate to another ISP?
N/A

I guess they'll have to phone, a ticket may take weeks to be answered
in which case the cooling off period may have expired.

But I bet they want it in writing as well, so probably postal - recorded delivery or
at least get proof of posting..
tumnus
Grafter

My last ticket about my instability on MaxDSL was replied to within 48 hours on each exchange of messages, often within 12 hours. I now have a pretty solid 3mb MaxDSL connection as that is all my line can manage and am quite happy with it, being on 1mb before.

All ISPs are having problems with MaxDSL and I'm sure all ISP CSCs are getting swamped with MaxDSL problems. This nightmare has been created by BT.

PlusNet may be getting affected by this more than most, but only because it started off moving more users than any other ISP to MaxDSL because us users (myself included) were crying out for it.
N/A

Look if you need a reliable service, GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE!!!.
N/A

Hi thanks for the replies, CS have told me I will have to pay for whole 12 months to get a mac key and leave. I still cant connect have tried 2 different modums and 4 different computers. My lodger is an IT teacher and very clued up but even he cant get me connected. My previous service from wanadoo worked perfectly but was only 1meg, which is why I switched.

I rely heavily on my connection for work so will probably have to pay up then go to the small claims court.

Regards Robert

PS How do they expect customers who cant connect to use an online CS system? Its a mad world!
N/A

How can they hold you to an agrrement when they haven't provided the
service at all for almost a whole month or in fact ever since the contract
was originally formed?

Talk to your local CAB, I doubt you could be held to this legally - an alternative to sueing PN would be to simply stop paying and let them try to sue you.

If you're on a residential package using the connection for work breaks
the T&C by the way, so don't tell the b*stards that or they'll want to bill you
more Wink
N/A

Here we go, from www.adviceguide.org.uk:-

Your legal rights when you buy services

When you buy services, the law gives you certain rights as a consumer. You are entitled to expect that a service will be:

* carried out with reasonable care and skill
* finished by the date you have agreed with the person providing the service, or within a reasonable time if you haven't agreed a specific date
* provided at the cost you have agreed beforehand, or at a reasonable cost if you haven't agreed one.

I think we all have a claim about reasonable care & skill, but it seems clear that the service hasn't been provided within a reasonable time in your case.

Also, assuming you didn't pop round to their offices to buy:-

Services bought by distance sale

If you buy services from a trader without having face-to-face contact with them, this is known as distance selling. Examples of distance sales include services that are bought:

* by telephone or fax, including text messaging and mobile phones
* by mail order
* electronically through the internet, e-mail or digital television
* through a shopping channel, or teletext
* from a catalogue
* through a newspaper or magazine advert order form.

If you buy services in any of these ways, you have rights on top of those you have when you buy services in a shop. The most important of these is the right to a 'cooling off' period. This gives you the right to cancel your order within seven working days, without having to pay anything. The trader must tell you about this right when you place your order. You may not have this right to cancel if you agreed to the service starting within seven days of placing your order.

Other additional rights you have when you make a distance sale include the right:

* to be given the name and address of the person supplying the service
* to be given the price of the service, including taxes and delivery charges
* to have the service started within 30 days of placing your order, unless you and the trader come to a different arrangement.

Note the last one there.

I also suspect that Plus Net's deferred repayment scheme comprises an interest free credit sale which should fall under the consumer credit act and I don't recall getting an actual written copy of the agreement.

Consumer Credit Act 1974

If you enter into a credit agreement which is regulated under the Consumer Credit Act you must be given a written copy of the agreement when you take out the loan. This must set out:-

* what type of credit agreement it is, for example, credit sale, hire purchase or conditional sale
* the true cost of the credit, worked out according to a special formula (APR)
* the amount of each payment, when it is due to be paid, and how it is made up (loan, interest, administration charge)
* your cancellation rights and whether you can pay off the debt early (see under heading Paying the loan off early).
N/A

I agree they probably are in breach of contract, and I could just stop paying. If the sued I would probably win. The problem is, you cant switch to another provider without a MAC key PN wont give you one until you pay them what they say you owe.

Regards Robert
N/A

Yeah, that is an issue, anyone know if you can force BT to hand it over?

After all, unless you've been LLU'd the line is a BT line not a PN one...
N/A

It's quite a sad turn of events... but take the mac key and once migrated, begin proceedings to claim a refund. In all fairness, I would expect that you to have to pay the BT activation charge (wether it already has been paid or is a "deferred" charge).