cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just been upgraded and can "only" get 1M...

N/A

... which is not a huge surprise to me, though slightly disappointing.

However, my question is - if the line quality restrictions are further reduced in the future, or if my line is improved, will I automatically start syncing at a higher speed, or does it get fixed at "the best your line will support at the point of the regrade?"

Next question - has anyone had any success with querying BT as to why their line can only support 1M, and got anything done about it (eg, replacement wiring)?
1 REPLY
N/A

First question, not sure currently, but in the future equipment is going to be introduced which will always negotiate the fastest available, in a similar way to a dial up modem.
The reply to second question is, I would think, that it depends on why your line can only take 1Mbs.
I had my line replaced because there was a fault, but if the reason for your limited speed is distance from the exchage, then there is not much you can do for the time being, although once upgrades happen at your exchange, the technology 'pushes' the signal down the line, so you should get higher speeds then.