cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just been upgrade to MAX...

N/A

...but I found that I my DG834G is syncing at 4128 kbps, which previous I was on 1152 kbps. But has everyone else has found I am stuck to 2 meg a present.

I take it is three days before the cap is lifted? Are these any three days or only working days?

How does the device work at the exchange to determine max line speed? Like should I reboot myself to try and get a better connection, or should I just leave as normal and don't break the connection?

And does it mean that even though I am only at 2 meg at present, that the line is supporting the near 4 meg connection, but I am just not seeing it?

BTW my SNR is 7db, come down from around 23db.

Cheers
18 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

This is a known problem. I'm guessing you leave your router on all the time - the BT equipment gets confused because your router reconnects before it is properly ready and it doesn't see the changed sync speed. What has happened is that your BRAS profile is still set at 2MB.

It should sort itself out in three days. If you disconnect/reconnect and the sync speed changes significantly it can kick start the BRAS profile change and an hour or so later you should see the 2MB limit removed. Some people have had success by connecting in to the master socket with no filter (and no phones connected) or using a known dodgy filter or long extension lead - anything the changes the line conditions enough to make a significant difference to the sync speed.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

I am a bit confused now, as this morning it was syncing at 4128 kbps, but now when I have got in it had gone down to something like 3627 kbps, but now after re-login to router page is now at 4096 kbps. All this has happened without losing connection, is this how the BRAS works, by fluctuating?

Also could do with a definitive answer, as weather or not I should try rebooting my router, to hopefully achieve a higher sync?

Also still capped at 2 meg as expected.
Community Veteran

ADSL Max is rate adaptive - that meens it will adjust the line speed based on line conditins. Line conditions can change for example due to weather conditions or electrical noise sources. This can cause the connected speed to vary.
N/A

What I am trying to get at is, this what I am syncing at now an indication of my final speed? If not what can I do to better and would it be worthwhile rebooting my router?
Community Veteran

If you could only get 1mb/s before, then getting 3 to 4 on max is probably pretty good. It is probably as good as you can expect.
vic_newey
Grafter

An interesting point is that if your your line finally settles to the lowest one of several different sync speeds even tho it was stable at higher , e.g mine has only synced at 2.6, 2.4 2.2 , all of which were stable but now it seems to sync at 2.2 everytime , does this mean that I am stuck with 2.2 once the 10 days is up & theres no way to make it retrain even if I can improve my snr ?
N/A

Ok so regarding the cap, am I best to try and keep re-connecting my router until the cap is removed?

I also take it if I have stayed connected sincel the upgrade I will be ok for the earlier 4192 kbps figure then? Or does the BRAS try to up the speed until it becomes unstable,?
N/A

Leave the connection alone and just try to use it as normal. This allows the system to find the best speed on it's own.

If after the 10 days are up and you are still having slow speeds, you can report it to PlusNet.

Trying to "fool" the system prematurely by disconnecting your router does not help, and in most cases can delay the connection from settling down or you may end up with slower speeds and have to start the 10 day period again.
Community Veteran

I had my connection upped to 8meg on tuesday. The router shows as 8meg and has been stable since the upgrade, however downloads and speed tests are still at around 2meg speeds. This has been more than 3 days now. I've disconnected and reconnected a few times with no luck.
N/A

umm, yah have an open ticket on this.
N/A

. Some people have had success by connecting in to the master socket with no filter (and no phones connected) or using a known dodgy filter or long extension lead - anything the changes the line conditions enough to make a significant difference to the sync speed.

Does a long line really make a difference at the customer end e.g. does 20m RJ-11 make much difference seeing as the telephone wire has already gone a few KM. I am interested to know as I have a 20m line from my old house, but now the router is only 5m away from the socket.
N/A

Does a long line really make a difference at the customer end

RJ 11 extensions are notoriously flaky with respect to ADSL. If you can remove it from your setup it can only be an improvement.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Some people have had success by connecting in to the master socket with no filter (and no phones connected) or using a known dodgy filter or long extension lead - anything the changes the line conditions enough to make a significant difference to the sync speed.

Mand and I were both upgraded to test whether it was best to leave the router on or off before the regrade. I left mine on and the profile stayed at 2Mbps (Mand's router was off overnight and her connection worked straight away). I unplugged the filter from my fax machine which dropped the sync speed from 8128 to 7000 and caused the BRAS profile to update within about 35 minutes though.
N/A

Any more tests you require guinea pigs for?? Wink