cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just Gimme the MAX FAQs

shellsong
Grafter

Just Gimme the MAX FAQs

There are so many people with the same questions about the MaxDSL upgrades and related issues that I can't help feeling that there ought to be a sticky set of FAQs on the subject that they can be directed to.

Eventually just about the entire customer base will receive the same experiences as those being expressed over and over again on this forum-- experiences that presumably mirror those of the MaxDSL trial group. So why hasn't benefit been gained from the past and been collated into an email and/or sticky to tell customers what they can expect and what they should do or not do to overcome any problems that can occur and smooth the transition.
9 REPLIES
willhome
Grafter

Just Gimme the MAX FAQs

Community Veteran

Just Gimme the MAX FAQs

And people should read http://aaisp.net.uk/maxmagic.html for some simple understanding why they connection maybe unstable for a few days. Wink

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
shellsong
Grafter

Just Gimme the MAX FAQs

The PUG FAQs say nothing about the practical events that can occur in the process of upgrading and even the aaisp.net.uk item is fairly theoretical and doesn't give much practical advice for when the transition doesn't appear to be going smoothly-- a lay persons guide to the wrinkles and how to smooth them out is what is needed for most of the customer base!
N/A

Just Gimme the MAX FAQs

It would have been a real help to have had access to something that gives real examples of what might happen.

I'd read all about the sync'ing etc but didn't expect what's happened to me in reality. Now maybe mins a fault but I don't think so, probably just a slightly dodgy conversion that seems to be stabilising a bit today.

I doubt many PN customers will understand it fully either and then raise merry hell when their conversion happens.
Dizzley
Grafter

Just Gimme the MAX FAQs

shellsong
Grafter

Just Gimme the MAX FAQs

Hmm! Helpful-- but doesn't really cut the mustard! You need to look at the concerns expressed on this forum and ask yourself how many it really answers-- as a certain TV magician of diminutive stature used to say, "Not a lot!" Wink
N/A

Just Gimme the MAX FAQs

I agree. There appears to be a lot of hearsay about disconnecting once a day for the first three days and then waiting a further 10 (or 7?) days for your profile to be captured so that the equipment can allocate a max speed.

E.g: I've a router, should it be left permanently connected or should I force a few reconnects?

It would be nice to have some guidelines.
Laser
Grafter

Just Gimme the MAX FAQs

@harpgill

Agreed. There's too much misinformation and layman's guesses going on. Somebody must know how it really works.

All I can say is, although my synch rate had increased to Max levels, my BRAS setting had stuck at 2Mb for a day or so until I chose to leave the router off overnight, after which time the rate started to creep up.

Chance? Providence? Good technique? Who knows? :roll:
Community Veteran

Just Gimme the MAX FAQs

Over on the PN page for MaxDSL. It says:

In the 10 days following your upgrade, you may see your speeds vary. This is perfectly normal, as tests are carried out during this period to see what speed your line can support. It's important that you stay connected during this 10 day period so that these tests can take place. After 10 days you should see your speeds stabilise at the fastest speed your line can support.

So does this mean after the 10 day period, I can expect my router to sync directly to a stable speed. Meaning, at the moment I am within the 10 day window and so each time I restart the router in the morning it sync at 3.5Mb and stays there all day till nightime and the stable speed really is something like 3Mb.

So I am hoping after the 10 days period the modem will just boot and connect at 3Mb, there is no point in connecting at 3.5Mb, otherwise I just end up enduring the unreliable few days of synchronising steadily down to 3Mb. Why not just start at the point known to be stable?

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed