cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joost/IPTV etc..

David_W
Rising Star

Joost/IPTV etc..

BT in their infinite wisdom have pointed out "people don't want faster speeds, they want more bandwith". And its true.

The IPTV revolution is upon us (almost). No longer do we have to suffer with the rubbish thats currently on Sky (ok, Heroes is good, but thats about it).

So now that we know we have the technology coming in Joost (and other IPTV products) is F9/Plusnet ready for this?

I mean, lets face it, TV is something everyone will want to watch Prime Time, who wants to watch a programme at 2am because of the download limits? So does F9 have the infrastructure ready to cope with the demands of HDTV over IP?
2 REPLIES
blahblah
Grafter

Joost/IPTV etc..

Going by recent media reports no ISP is ready for the explosion that is about to occur. Joost is just the latest, there are already the services accessed via WinAmp, Media Player, plus your usual activity due to YouTube and other video sites. The Democracy player is also gaining mind share and also offers tools to run your own IPTV service (as do others). As POO-TV (Plain Old Ordinary TV, you heard it here first Tongue ) gets progressively worse more and more people are hitting the web for their evening entertainment... the network providers are cr*pping themselves... that's why they are falling over themselves introducing FUP's even though users such as myself bought into the service based largely on "unrestricted" bandwidth.

TV is dead, long live IPTV!
David_W
Rising Star

Joost/IPTV etc..

Joost doesnt seem to use all that much I think, unless you watch it 24/7 then it will mount up. I watched episodes 1-8 of Ikki Tousen, if we say (being nice) each 1/2 hour show (non-hd btw) is 100mb? Thats 800mb for 4 hours telly.

If we say an "average" person will watch 500mb telly a day, in a 31 day month they will watch 15gb, which really isnt all that much but will put you on teir 1 restrictions (not including normal internet use).

On the other hand, if they do it in HD, that'll go upto 150gb/month which is too much.

The IPTV explosion is going to happen and its going to happen sooner rather than later, Anime Network are now showing on Sky 195 (Propeller, Sundays 8pm-10pm with class Anime) and in the US they also work with ISP's to show their TV show over cable IPTV mainly VOD.

The UK is already going way down the list in terms of DSL speeds, 30% of Japan for instance is 100MBit with no download limits and BT won't upgrade us to fibre unless government pays for it (because as soon as they do they will have to let competition on the fibre) so all we'll get is 21CN and 24MB (if we're lucky).

Hopefully within 2-3 years I'll be on 24MB, which means I'll be wanting to watch IPTV in HD, I'll be downloading twice as much as I do now?

The UK ISP market is fierce, and small companies are being bought by the big companies so in a couple of years we'll see only BT, Virgin, SKY, Orange and CPW with each of them having bought the smaller fry, so the company that puts in place now the technology to give the customer what they want in 2-3 years time will be the winner, probably.