cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ive had enough!! BT reduced spped from 8mb to .5mb!!

N/A

Ive been having big spped issues for last 2 weeks, and after chising this up, PN told me BT had out a 500k speed restriciton on my account...

Dear Daznet
BT's systems at the exchange reduced your linespeed to 500kbps on 09/07/06. BT's equipment does this automatically when line conditions mean your modem has to synchronise at a similar speed.
To get the best possible speeds, please ensure that everythig connected to the phone line is correctly filtered and that the modem is connected directly to the main BT socket.

Regards,
Michael Dixon

To administer your account and for all your help and support requirements visit http://portal.plus.net/index_nlp.html

For starters, Im annoyed Ive had to chase PN to find this out, and Ive done what is stated above and still same problem....

Things were working fine for 6 weeks without any probs, and now this has mysteriously manifested itself from nowhere... I can only thing something else has changed, and Ive not bee told.

PN dont seem to be very helpful, tickets take days to answer, and Ive now been on hold for over 45 mins... Ive had enough...!!!

Ill be asking for my MAC....

BT's equipment does this automatically when line conditions mean your modem has to synchronise at a similar speed

What line conditions.. everything has been as it was for months, yet in the past week my speed has dropped to half a meg....

and Im still expected to pay PREMIER OPTION 1 prices!!!
12 REPLIES
N/A

that sounds exactly the same thing has happened to mine aswell.

allthough plusnet are not retunring any tickets to me
Community Veteran

daznet, you already have a thread for your topic here. Some people have tried to help you and I for one do not plan to read more than one of your threads.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
N/A

no offence godsell4 but daznet like myself are getting more annoyed that plusnet arent doing a thing to rectify problems like this while taking £40 out of our accounts.

for them just to say BT have automatically reduced speeds is outstanding. as for me how can a stable 2mb connection for over 2 years suddenly overnight go to 1 megHuh no email(not as thou they can send any) no customer warnings.

no just liek it or lump it attitude which in any other sector of industry would have some ombudsman knoocking on thier door
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

With DSLMax, lots of things can cause this to happen. All it needs is a short connection at a lower sync rate and the throughput is immediately reduced.

Even if it resyncs to a faster speed straight away the throughput may take over 3 days to go up as well.

So long as the line remains sync'd at the higher rate then the throughput will automatically catch up within a few days. If at any time the sync rate decreases back down, even for a few minutes then the clock resets.

The following page may help explain some of the things that are happening

http://portal.plus.net/support/broadband/network/dslmax_guide.shtml

One other thing of note is that the last week or so has seen a lot of thunderstorms around the country. Max and thunderstorms generally don't mix and the storm can cause the SNR on a line to drop, which can cause the line to disconnect and when it resyncs, it connects at a lower rate.
N/A

once again dave you and mand are the only people in PN who actually communicate things like this to your users.

At least i now know why its happening even if CS are still waiting to respond to any tickets i have raised

thank you
N/A

and I for one do not plan to read more than one of your threads.

LOL.. you already have!!!!

no offence godsell4 but daznet like myself are getting more annoyed that plusnet arent doing a thing to rectify problems like this while taking £40 out of our accounts.

Thanks camsoft...

This is my whole point, the fact that things were fine for so long, then almost overnight, all this trouble, without any reason.. not much help from PN... unplug your router, connect it to the BT line, disconnect everything else.. blah blah blah... do they not think I have tried all of this!!!

Thanks too Dave.. that certainly answered a few of my questions, more so than the email response I got telling me that BT had just reduced my speed!!! Ive just ordered a set of new filters, and will check all the cabling again over the next few days...... cheers for that link, very useful!!!

Sorry to air my frustration so much... but as Ive expressed many times before, its annoying when things go great for a period, then overnight, just go belly up with no explanation!!!

Thanks to you all!!!
Community Veteran

With DSLMax, lots of things can cause this to happen. All it needs is a short connection at a lower sync rate and the throughput is immediately reduced.

What about the 'blip logic'? Surely this is implemenyed and working now. Yes?

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
N/A

Hi,

Even if it resyncs to a faster speed straight away the throughput may take over 3 days to go up as well.

So long as the line remains sync'd at the higher rate then the throughput will automatically catch up within a few days. If at any time the sync rate decreases back down, even for a few minutes then the clock resets.

The following page may help explain some of the things that are happening

http://portal.plus.net/support/broadband/network/dslmax_guide.shtml

One other thing of note is that the last week or so has seen a lot of thunderstorms around the country. Max and thunderstorms generally don't mix and the storm can cause the SNR on a line to drop, which can cause the line to disconnect and when it resyncs, it connects at a lower rate.

Why is this not one of the generic responses on CS, instead of the one I received that started telling me about what to expect in the first 14 days - I've had the service for nearly 4 months!!!!!!

I'm still confused after my line speed on the portal is now stated as being 5000kbps, I'm syncing above this rate, yet all speed tests (from various sources - adslguide.org.uk / BT / regularly used and reliable download sites) come in around 1mb.....
Community Veteran

I'm still confused after my line speed on the portal is now stated as being 5000kbps, I'm syncing above this rate, yet all speed tests (from various sources - adslguide.org.uk / BT / regularly used and reliable download sites) come in around 1mb.....

If after a 3 day period at higher speeds, and your router logs do not show you resync events you may not have noticed, you find that your speeds are not starting to increase. Raise a ticket because it means the mechanism for changing speeds between BT and PN for your line is broken. Not sure there is a known fix for this known problem ... nobody will confirm from PN.

Also, a smaller number of people have found disconnecting for 20-30mins seems to kick the system in upping your speed to that shown on the stable rate.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

What about the 'blip logic'? Surely this is implemenyed and working now. Yes?

It should yes, but only applies to one lower sync event in a 14 day period. If it decreases sync speed twice in 14 days this doesn't apply and the usual 3 day thing does.
N/A

The thunderstorm was one week ago and I'm still synching at 500kbps and haven't synched anything higher. I used to have a perfect connection; no disconnections, excellent speeds and then all of a sudden I get these ridiculous speeds....

....and theres nothing anyone can do about it?

This is totaly unfair.
N/A

IMO there is someone sat at either PN or BT and constantly fiddling around with stuff just to annoy people.

Been on Max for a while now everything solid stable cant fault it. Every so often the Pn current speed rate goes from 7000 to 8000 (this should of stopped ages ago)

Moving on, everything can be fine for weeks rock solid then all of a sudden a load of line noise will appear from nowhere (like tonight for instance)

SNR on downstream dropped to 1 or less then the sync speed dropped same with upstream that dropped to 6. Im damn well sure some evil git is sat there at PN or BT switching switches and giggle their knackers off.