cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Italian '.it' Domain names

N/A

Dear Scott.
Thank you for your prompt reply, I have already bought two Italian domain names on the strength of this

"Time Ticket ID: 12726429 Raised by: You Via: Portal On: 2004-08-01 17:36:01 Status
2004-08-01
17:36:01 Comment By: You
[Support Wizard Journey]
[Wizard NOT followed]
[Other Query]
--
[Additional Information]
Can I transfer in (DNS only) a .it Domain name?
Thanks Open
2004-08-01
18:37:51 Comment By: link:CSA Removed
Customer Support Centre Dear customer,

Yes we are able to host this domain.

Regards,
link:CSA Removed Actioned
2004-08-03
12:54:42"

To: <postmaster@spookycat.plus.com>
Sent: Friday, August 20, 2004 1:51 AM
Subject: PlusNet - Contact Us ticket has been returned to you

>
>
> Username spookycat
>
> We are pleased to be able to inform you that a member of our Customer Support
> Centre has now returned ticket number [ 12952834 ] to yourself.
>
> The following comment was added to the ticket
> Dear Charlotte,
>
> we do not support the transfer of .it domains, unfortunately unless you're able to have your registrar point the domains towards our DNS without a transfer request then we'll be unable to place hosting entries on your account.
>
> For further advisement we can only recommend you contact the company you have registered the domains with.
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> link:CSA Removed

You may view your Contact Us ticket at http://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=tickets
in order to view our response to your ticket, please add a new comment or close the
ticket if the issue has now been resolved to your satisfaction.

Regards,
PlusNet Customer Support

--
http://portal.plus.net
The Smarter Way to Internet

I have posted a copy of this 'Ticket submission' to 'Our' Forum.
Kind regards.

Charlotte Walster. Comment By: You
Ticket closed by customer via Portal Closed.

"My biggest fear is that I have just 'migrated' from Freeserve (following the advice from a friend whom is a "Good" friend of one of the founder members of Freeserve) and I have successfully convinced another friend, (A BT software engineer) to sign up to to Plusnet for a Year, and already I (Let alone my recommendations) am wondering if I have made the right decision...

[Moderator's note (by csogilvie): Please do not post the names of CS Agents in this forum as it is against the rules.]
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Basically, what you are being told is yes they can host them but you need to get your old host to do something first, this is normal.

Chris
csogilvie
Grafter

Yeah, I agree with fa55 - both these responses look correct to me - they can host the domain, but only by having the NS Servers pointed at the PlusNet Nameservers.
N/A

The reply

Dear Customer

Do you want us to host the domains on this account? I have passed your good comments onto Scott for you.

Regards,
link:CSA Removed

[Moderator's note (by csogilvie): Plesae do not post Customer Support Agents names in this forum.]
Community Veteran

huh?

I assume that was a reply in a ticket you had but not sure why you posted it here?

Are you trying to tell us something, if so please state what this is as it is unclear from that post what it is.

Has this issue been resolved?

Also do you understand the difference between transfering a domain to plusnet and hosting a domain with plusnet, because they are different.
N/A

NIC.it

Yes I do know the difference. If you read the ticket my request is clearly for DNS hosting only "I would like to transfer in (manual transfer DNS Only Hosting) my two Italian domain names".
.From what I can gather the Italian NIC authority does not allow one to change the DNS record first. ('I know' how else can one do the transfer) my guess is that there is a test to see if the name server is ready to host the changes.
Now I know nothing about the processes involved in changing the DNS records with the Italian authority, which is why I sent in this ticket detailing the issues in the first place, and before that, asking if Plusnet could host '.it's'.

Therefore I feel that the response to my 'customer support' ticket has been, at best, vague. Though I know that the 'customer support' is not a free consultancy, one must bear in mind that not all Plusnet's customers are IT experts.

I do like the concept of Plusnet and its excellent features but, they do need to realise that like myself, there will be some 'Freeservers' migrating in.
Charlotte...
Community Veteran

If you are unable to change the nameservers associated with your doamin to point to PlusNets, I can't see how that is a problem with PlusNet.

We and they have explained what needs to be done but it is only you who can do this step being the owner of the domain.

Where/who did you register this domain with?. Was it via website/company that registers domains for you? If so, I assume that company is currently hosting your domain. If so, does that company offer a means to change the DNS records associated with the domain - either via the web or via support contacts. If not then that is your problem and there is nothing PlusNet can do about it.

If your current host cannot change the DNS servers for your domain, you need to find another company you can transfer the domain to that does offer this facility.

Maybe the way Italian domains are managed is different to .co.uk or .com but in therory they should not be.
N/A

Why post here

The reason that I am posting here Is because I find ticket system is a trifle slow and with somewhat brief.
I also wonder why, If one uses the telephone, one gets a good concise answer straight away. (don't say it, I will be doing soon).
Community Veteran

PlusNet support are only there for basic support, as agreed above they aren't experts on everything IT or even domain related, for idepth stuff like hosting .IT domains you should goto a proper hosting company.

At the end of the day, Italian domains are supposed to be hosted by Italian companies.

Chris
N/A

'goto a proper hosting company'

1) I've got a proper hosting company.
2) I had to apply in writing, giving my UK national insurance number to the Italian NIC to be granted the use of my .it's.
3) Should .com's only be be hosted by American hosting companys?
4) What say you to the possibility that I am of Italian origin?
Ianwild
Grafter

Hi,

The DNS servers need to be changed to ours for us to create the local records, although in exceptional circumstances we may be able to create the records first (This will require proof of your ownership and control of the domain before it can be done). Is it really the case that the registrar won't transfer the NS addresses until an authoritive server is setup and answering queries for the domain?

This is the first time I have heard of this, although it isn't the first .it domain we will host.

Regards,

Ian
jberry
Grafter

Hi Charlotte,

I have come aross this before where the Italian domain registrar will not issue changes until zonefiles exist on the target DNS server - I have no idea why they insist on this, IMO rediculous, policy but there you go.

This is not normal procedure but I have transfed the two domains onto your account for you and the zonefile should update and propogate within 48 hours - you should then contact the people you registered the domain with and they will be able to action the change of DNS server to ours.

Since the address and surname matches your details on a whois there shouldn't be a problem. I'll assume Paul is you better half and check the domain in a could of weeks to make sure eveything is in order.

Note that the domains will start working for you quicker as you use our DNS servers but any non-plusnet customers will require the changes to be made at the other companies side.

Regards,
N/A

This system exists in Italy, Switzerland and Lichtenstein. According to Switch, the Swiss domain registration body, the pre-existence of zonefiles on the target DNS servers ".... ensures that name servers configurations for domain names with the extensions .ch, .it and .li comply with the technical Internet Standards (RFCs). "

They also have an online nameserver test which provides the ability to check a nameserver configuration independently of the registration/activation process and to receive detailed error information, if any.