cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It could be you

N/A

It could be you

Having read most of the information on the proposed change to MAXDSL it has occured to me that quite a number of people will actually get no speed change at all due to line restrictions.
Now this may or may not be an issue for them, but they will be changed to the new FUP which means they will be paying the same money for a reduced bandwidth allowance, others will get a speed increase which will make up for the FUP.

But for those that get nothing except a soft cap it hardly seems to be worth staying with Plus, even less if to gain anything at all they will be charged £14.99 to move to a lower monthly payment.
Pesonally i think Plus have shot themselves in the foot on sticking adamantly to a charge for a downward regrade especially if the conditions outlined above fall into place.

It would in fact be cheaper to migrate to another ISP (that at the moment has no caps) than be stuck with a charge for regrading to something that just might take the bite out of paying the same for no speed increase and the FUP at the same time.
15 REPLIES
Ianwild
Grafter

It could be you

What makes you think most customers won;t see an upgrade though?

From April, BT have confirmed that 95% of our 512K customers will receive at least an upgrade to 1Mb, and 80% of 512k and 1Mb customers will be able receive a 2Mb product.

To put that in context, our customer base is made up of the following mix:

½Mb 65.97%
1Mb 24.33%
2Mb 9.69%

That is going ot see a significant amount of customers upgraded as part of the upto 2Mb/s regrades and then the higher speed trial will see a fair proportion of 2Mb customers getting a major upgrade.

As a total percentage of our customers, BT have said that that about 70% of all customers will be able receive at least an upgrade to ~4Mb and 30% of customers will be able to receive ~8Mb/s. About one third of 8Mb/s connections will require a BT engineer to attend and install a new faceplate at the customers premises.

Do you understand the reasons for our introduction of fair usage?

Can you find any ISPs who won;t be faced with the same situation within the next few months?

Regards,

Ian
N/A

It could be you

Hey, reset, have you seen the special offer from, well I will tell you later, who offer 512 for £10 first two months going to £16.99 after that and no limits GUARANTEED in the future......who are they?... well V21 Evil

But I am being told elsewhere that Home Surf has no limits anyway, can we confirm if Home Surf does have limits and if so what?

edit for typo
itchyfeet
Grafter

It could be you

Ian,

Thanks for the breakdown on customer base by connection speeds. I put a suggestion in the Ideas forum that it would be useful if Plus.net charted this data regularly during the next few months to show how the upgrades are going. I worry that otherwise these forums are going to be drowned with complaints form the minority of people who can't get an upgrade. At least some sort of chart can let the rest of us know how its going?

Can you have a look at my suggestion and let us know what you think?

Thanks.
Community Veteran

It could be you

V21 use datastream (a la Tiscali) so it's not as wonderful as some may think it is. And you can't migrate from Datastream to IPstream yet and I'm pretty sure you can't do IPstream to Datastream either.

If you mean PlusNet's homesurf account, it blocks p2p and binary newsgroup access. It will also have it's own 22GB fair usage allowance in April.
Ianwild
Grafter

It could be you

Home surf will have a 22GB per month fair usage allowance.

I'll leave what ISP you want to use up to you - I've spent a long time explaining the financial background that all ISPs face when delivering Broadband. People can make their own mind up if they think they will be able to find a reliable service for less than it costs to provide it at the wholesale level...

In specific to V21, I would just point out that because they use the Datastream network of a third party, a normal IPStream migration is not possible.

Regards,

Ian
N/A

It could be you

V21, Hmmm less said about them the better, never again. :mrgreen:

As for home surf I feel sure that there is a 22 gig FUP, cap ,allowance or whatever on it, which for me is not a problem. Sure someone will enlighten me if i'm wrong.

Ian,
I know that BT have bandied a number of figures around, but they are prone to be a little over optomistic with their claims at times so forgive me for not entirely swallowing their output.
Most customers may get significant speed increases but there are still going to be a significant number that can't, I was just wondering what those unlucky peeps are going to think when they realise they are paying the same for less AKA the FUP.

That is why i think that charging for a downgrade is morally wrong (especially for those that will NOT get any speed increase).
N/A

It could be you

We had fun at V21 reset..this feels like deja vu Sad . My poison is likely to be Metronet http://www.metronet.co.uk/.
N/A

It could be you

All this whining about the FUP is really rather pathetic. Bandwidth caps are coming in industry wide, like it or not so deal with it. Any ISP that says they are not ever going to implement it are lying or at best seriously naive. You might be able to postpone getting capped for a year or so by jumping isp, but eventually it will catch up with everyone. At the end of the day its economics. Plus's FUP combined with configuring everyone to the max speed possible seems a fairly cool way of doing things. Being able to select to pay more or reduce speed gives option to tweak things so they suit you.

In an ideal world im sure Plus would love to give us all uncapped connection, but at the end of the day we are not in an ideal world, so compromises have to be made. The FUP seems a lot better way of doing things than just lumping all the heavy users onto the same pipe, which happens at a few other ISPS.

I don't see the FUP being a major problem in the future either, as when line speed increase with technologies like adsl2+ so will the capacity on bts network, which will lead to cheaper bandwidth, and ultimately bigger caps.
N/A

It could be you

So who do you see complaining about the FUP my brown tongued friend?
Try READING the posts, you will note it is mentioned, not complaind about,so get off your high horse and calm down.
N/A

It could be you

We had fun at V21 reset..this feels like deja vu Sad . My poison is likely to be Metronet http://www.metronet.co.uk/.

Be carefull with them mate, they have just had their butts kicked for discrepancies in their T&Cs.

I shall stay put and see how things pan out, at least Plus do answer e-mails and are usually quite helpfull on most issues, a damn sight more than V21 ever were/are.
N/A

It could be you

Better not continue off topic, might have another post removed, but in this case, unlike the last one that I had removed for no justifiable reason, might be a right removal...but don't worry I would never go back to V21 if they paid me :lol:
N/A

It could be you

From April, BT have confirmed that 95% of our 512K customers will receive at least an upgrade to 1Mb, and 80% of 512k and 1Mb customers will be able receive a 2Mb product.

Would it be possible to not keep using the magical but meaningless 'From April' phrase ? We could all be flying around in jetpacks in the year 2087 but since PlusNet only said 'from April' we might still not have seen any upgrade. I appreciate you can't give precise dates but the use of this open-ended phrase in conjunction with precise figures like '95% of our 512K customers...' doesn't make a lot of sense and has apparently led to confusion before.
Alecto
Grafter

It could be you

Ian comes close to giving a schedule in this:

The schedule for this project will actually see over 1000 customers upgraded before April. The roll-out of further upgrades will then occur on an exchange by exchange basis, with customers at the biggest exchanges being upgraded first. Over 90% of our customers currently have a 512K and 1MB product and the vast majority of these speed upgrades will occur towards the beginning of the rollout period rather than towards the end. Barring no serious complications in the roll-out period, we firmly expect upgrades to be completed for all customers by the end of June.

There has been a request for a graph or some such to show the ongoing progress of the work - i.e. what percentage has been upgraded at any given time, but Pn first turned that down on the basis of "confidentiality", then when confidentiality proved not to be an issue, just ignored the request.

That would be a very useful thing to see, though.
N/A

It could be you

Thanks for the clarification. I was only nitpicking really. It just sounded too much like legal-speak for my liking - I'd prefer to see things like 'By June we expect...' rather than 'From April...'.

I agree that regular progress reports on upgrading would be useful and shouldn't be too much effort - they only have to give an indication of the numbers...