cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Isn't broadband susposed to be fast?

Azagoth
Grafter

If that's the case then why is it sometimes taking me 30secs+ to open a standard webpage on a 2MB line?

Not only that, but I can be reading a page then click on a link within the same site and the connection times out! Then a minute later it works again!
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran

I had some real slow down problems earlier for about 15 mins, it was completely unusable on both my computers. Funny thing was only certain sites where affected eg the portal and a yahoo and ebay. Google was totally fine. It's back to normal now though but it was almost completely unusable before for me.
N/A

I had the same problem a few minutes ago myself. After disconnecting my router for 5 mins it seems fine again now :?
Community Veteran

I had some real slow down problems earlier for about 15 mins, it was completely unusable on both my computers. Funny thing was only certain sites where affected eg the portal and a yahoo and ebay. Google was totally fine. It's back to normal now though but it was almost completely unusable before for me.

When I came back on after dinner my connection was like treacle, I rebooted my router and all was fine :?
rammie1976
Grafter

and about 20 minutes before your problems I had a disconnection and slow-downs too!!!
N/A

had an ftp disconnect a bit ago, must have been a general problem, is fine now tho
N/A

I've been getting the exact same symptoms that azagoth describes sporadically (more so in the evenings) for about a week now. Confusingly when I run all the speed tests, the result come back as normal and as far as I can make out, file downloads are good too. It's only when trying to open random web pages or the links therein that things come to a halt.
ie6 sp2
channel
Grafter

Yep, I thought I was back on dialup earlier.

Obviously I checked on service status, and there was nothing showing there. Maybe we all had a joint hallucination?
N/A

Re: Isn't broadband susposed to be fast?

If that's the case then why is it sometimes taking me 30secs+ to open a standard webpage on a 2MB line?

Not only that, but I can be reading a page then click on a link within the same site and the connection times out! Then a minute later it works again!

I have also been experiencing this problem. The traffic shaping isnt supposed to be effecting HTTP but i disagree. My webpage loading times have been very poor recently and my 1mb connection at work is faster.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

There were some problems last night apparently but these have now been resolved.
rammie1976
Grafter

Thanks for eventually telling everyone - better late than never I suppose.

Out of interest what was the problem?Huh
Ben_Brown
Grafter

I'm not sure of the details however I have been told that it was a problem with one of our routers, which has now been resolved.