Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this the end?

dancecrave
Grafter

Is this the end?

No really, is this the end of anything that's not straight web browsing :?:

Not too long ago everything was fine on my 1M connection, but since being put on an 8M circuit and reduced to 2M to stop dropouts, I'm finding myself logging in every day to PN to see service status and find out what's wrong with X.Y.or Z.

In the old days I used to surf, read emails, read news groups, FTP, P2P quite happily, now a lot of my time is spent looking at PN, the forums, logging tickets and cursing at my poor TFT.

Right now my P2P has slowed to 1KB uploads (downloads usually don't work) and one in 6 attempts I can receive email. Slowly. The other 5 times I get authentication errors.

I can browse the web, however, nice and quickly. As usual.

Logging this with PN, I am in the usual wait for investigation loop.

I want it to be like the old days again.
When there were problems you could be sure they'd be fixed fairly quickly, but now it just feels like everything is going wrong everywhere at PN and there are just not enough people to deal with it all.

This leaves me to wonder, just what is the future here? Simple web browsing? Isn't that all a bit 90's?!?

I doubt I'll be bothered to move my DSL, hosted sites, databases, DNS and all that stuff from PN until things grind to a complete halt. I'll just sit here and moan instead.

Cry
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Is this the end?

"Is this the end"

Or is this just fantasy
Court in landslide
No escape from reality

Chilly
N/A

Is this the end?

If G4 walk in now i am SO MAC'ing out of here!!

(Note: please god do not think i am so young as to beleive THEY WROTE that song!!)
Firejack
Grafter

Is this the end?

I want it to be like the old days too, Plus.net 512Kbps ADSL rocked.

From the moment DSL MAX was announced I knew it wouldn't work. The logical step is ADSL to ADSL2+. Not ADSL to MAX DSL to ADSL2+.

MAX DSL has been the biggest disaster in UK Internet history. Not only is it totally unreliable at the consumer end with shaky sync process. MAX DSL was also introduced before any significant upgrade to the UK Internet infrastructure was complete.
So what we have now is millions of users who have upgraded to 8Mbit lines taking there 0.5Mbit share of Internet bandwidth and 15 other peoples too :shock: So we are in a situation where we are all fighting over the same finite resource with some muscling in a taking more then their share.
The solution is more bandwidth but thats at least a year away because of Ofcom stopping BT reducing the cost of the bandwidth they supply to ISPs.

If you want a faster connection you either go an ISP using Cable or LLU. BT is full to bursting point right now.
N/A

Is this the end?

"Is this the end"

Or is this just fantasy
Court in landslide
No escape from reality

Chilly

Caught

hth
:lol:
N/A

Is this the end?

Maybe Chilly was referring to an avalanche of lawyers letters Wink
N/A

Is this the end?

I want it to be like the old days too, Plus.net 512Kbps ADSL rocked.

From the moment DSL MAX was announced I knew it wouldn't work. The logical step is ADSL to ADSL2+. Not ADSL to MAX DSL to ADSL2+.

My router shows that my connection is ADSL2+, and switching to the ADSL2+ router also solved all my connection problems I was getting with my trusty old Speedtouch 330 USB.

Is it possible that some exchange's MAX upgrades were to ADSL2+ ATM hardware configured to run at 8192/448 ...

Maybe I'm just looking for a conspiracy Wink

DSL Version: E.21.1.16
Annex Type: ADSL2
Standard: ADSL2+
Connected Standard: G.dmt
Firejack
Grafter

Is this the end?

I remember reading BT has apparently upgraded a lot of exchanges to ADSL2+ hardware in preparation for future upgrades already. If this is the case at your exchange. You may well be right.