cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this realy the case??? MAC keys query !!

N/A

I asked PN for my Mac key. They said this:

We can usually only issue a MAC key if your broadband service is provided via BT Wholesale; in this instance we are using an alternative network provider, so unfortunately we may not be able to provide a MAC key.
Please check whether your new ISP is participatiing in the Reverse LLU Migration Pilot, and let us know if they are. We can then supply a MAC key, although because this is a trial, it is a manual process and may take several days. Please also note that very few ISP's are able to process a reverse MAC key, at this time.
Alternatively, we can schedule cancellation of the service, 30 days after your next invoice date or sooner if required, on payment of the final month's subscription.
Please confirm in a reply to this Question, via the Help Assistant, how you would like us to proceed.

Can this really be true? Also notice the word "usually" and the line "Please also note that very few ISP's are able to process a reverse MAC key, at this time. " Does that mean were trapped?

Moderators note by John (johnessex) All Capitals title made lower case. Please dont use all capitals it's against the Link:rules
5 REPLIES
N/A

Can this really be true?

Unfortunately yes it's true.

Does that mean were trapped?

No, just cancel your subscription outright. It will take a few days and it will mean downtime.

Depending on your circumstances it may be possible to recover the setup fee charged by your new ISP but you'll have to negotiate that with PN.
Community Veteran

@writeon the edge as per my reply to your PM, it sounds about right. Only certain providers will accept the MAC key plusnet are able to issue if you are on LLU. Because of this and it being a fairly complex process they ask you to check with the ISP you are migrating to that they accept LLU MACs before the key is issued - they aren't saying they can't issue a MAC key but that not all providers will accept the key they can issue so you need to check with the provider you wish to migrate that they accept the key before it is issued.

Also please don't cross post, you've posted the same in the broadband help forum; which can only serve to cause confusion with people not knowing which thread to reply to etc.
bluewhale
Grafter

just so you know i've been waiting a month now for my LLU MAC key

so don't hold your breath if you go down that route

some might say there was a conflict of interests here ...
N/A

Lets hope for a new law where we can change as we please without waiting. Let's face it, its our money and we deserve the best service possible.
N/A

just email a few isps to see who takes llu macs, i know zen do and im sorting mine out as we speak. dont forget the deferred fee you need to pay before leaving too, ive been quted the full £47, but i think thats not right as ive been a customer over a year and the cost reduces to nil after 5 years so im expecting to pay most of that but not the full amount (yet another reason im leaving, even the employees dont seem to know the system , hell all ive done is read the toc and the forum so it aint that hard!!