cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this normal for 8mb broadband

N/A

Are these figures normal for 8mb broadband? If not what can be done?

Connection Speed 4096 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 44 db 12.5 db
Noise Margin 14 db 22 db

Comments?Huh
4 REPLIES
N/A

We are on the same exchange and my stats are as follows, not sure if that helps.

Connection Speed 8096 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 23.0 db 11.0 db
Noise Margin 10.3 db 22.0 db
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 36

@iredaler
Unfortunately *any* speeds are normal for an "up to 8M" service. Were the stats you quoted taken immediately after the modem synchronised or did synchronisation occur at a time when noise margin might have been much lower?

Assuming the modem is left on continuously, line speed depends on the line behaviour over a typical 24 hours; noise margin usually falls when it gets dark, street lights come on, TVs and other electrical equipment in the home is turned on, etc.

If you put the figures you quoted into the calculator here you will get an estimated line speed of 6304kbps. This will assume a target noise margin of 6db. On that basis there is more to come but to achieve it your target noise margin would need to be reduced. However that is normally set to suit line behaviour during monitoring over the first 10 days of service. If a period of instability causes it to increase it should automatically come down again if you maintain a stable connection for 14 days at a higher target noise margin.

So over 24 hours what is the minimum noise margin experienced on your line?

Regards

David
David
N/A

Thanks for the advice David. With this in mind, I have looked at my router stats at around 1.50pm.

Connection Speed 4000 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 44 db 12.5 db
Noise Margin 12 db 22 db

Although my router says 4000kbps, I have never achieved anywhere near such speeds.

I have just run a speed test on the force9 website and achieved 895.60kbps, although according to force9, my current broadband speed is 3500 Kbps.

I try to leave my router switched on as much as I can, and only turn it off for half an hour once every 2 days.

Surely the speed I am achieving cannot be correct?

Any advice or help welcome.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 36

The reduced actual download speed you mentioned seems likely to be RWIN/MTU related. Rather than repeating information covered elsewhere could I refer you to this topic on the Community site which is concerned with this issue and shows what can be achieved by tweaking these values.

If you post a tweak test url from DSLreports here I'll be pleased to comment further.

Regards, David
David