cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this loss of synch?

DrSeeAll
Grafter

Is this loss of synch?

I've regularly been losing connection for months and being living with it but its been getting worse.

My wireless router/modem is remote from the PCs o it is a bit inconvenient to check whether the synch light is flashing or not everytime there is a disconnection. Most of the time it is flashing.

However, recently I've been getting frequent loses mainly during the night when I'm not on the PC.

This is a short extract from the log. Are these disconnects/reconnects caused by loss of synch or something else?

2005.08.30 10:15:30 If(ATM1) PPP connection ok !
2005.08.30 10:15:29 ATM1 get IP:81.174.18x.xxx
2005.08.30 10:15:26 ATM1 start PPP
2005.08.30 10:15:26 Dial On Demand(ATM1)
2005.08.30 10:15:10 ATM1 stop PPP
2005.08.30 09:55:10 If(ATM1) PPP connection ok !
2005.08.30 09:55:09 ATM1 get IP:81.174.18x.xxx
2005.08.30 09:55:04 ATM1 start PPP
2005.08.30 09:55:04 Dial On Demand(ATM1)
2005.08.30 09:53:06 ATM1 stop PPP
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Is this loss of synch?

If it is any help, mine was doing the exact same thing for a few days, gradually getting worse - only staying conected for 30 seconds or so - eventually my power supply for the router gave up the ghost - It would appear that the iffy power supply was contributing to the loss of synch, possibly by voltage spikes/sags.
N/A

Is this loss of synch?

Those logs suggest that the line remains in sync, but is simply loosing the PPP portion of the connection.

I can only suggest trying to see if the led starts flashing or not to confirm this.

I used to see a similar prolem in the first 12 months of having broadband, where my connection would be solid for days and weeks, then after a disconnection, it would jump up and down a few times.

I can only suggest this may have been work being performed by BT at the exchange (who often perform regular work).

How often does this occur?
DrSeeAll
Grafter

Is this loss of synch?

@Chesterfield
I've read your other posts and I also have a 3com adsl wireless router/modem. Its only about 6 months old but I'll check the power supply output.
I bought it because I was getting disconnections with my previous router. It didn't solve it.

@acarr
Virtually, every night. I often definately lose synch at 9.00 or 10.00 pm (flashing LED) and then reboot modem/router and usually it is OK. Occasionally it will not synch at all and I have to power down for a long period.
Just recently I've been getting the disconnects shown from the log above. Very intermittant.
I've got a new face-plate splitter and am connected directly to the master socket.
Community Veteran

Is this loss of synch?

Mines only about that age too - though I did not have the transformer plugged into a surge protector and I have had the electricity off and on quite a bit recently while doing DIY - I suppose it could have gone duff during one of those off/on/off/on cycles.

Comparing the power supply to the one I have borrowed from work, the 3com one just looks and feels cheap and nasty compared to the weighty Netgear one (same voltage and current rating).
DrSeeAll
Grafter

Is this loss of synch?

Well I've just had the multimeter on the supply from the 3com PSU and it is a steady 12V.
Anyway, I've swopped it for another variable PSU with higher power (300mA as compared to 125mA of 3com one) AND my noise margin has increased from a variable 12dB to a much healthier 19dB Smiley

Hopefully, this may have done the trick.
I'll see what happens overnight. Thanks for the tip Smiley
Community Veteran

Is this loss of synch?

WOOOAAAA - hang on.....

my 3com adapter is 1.25A or 1250mA.

Are you sure your 3com adapter is only 250mA? That seems pretty low.

you may be about to cook that 300mA adapter.

My router is a wireless one which may explain the need for extra current, but 250mA does seem very low indeed.

My theory with the adapters is that the adapter that ships with the product, while being of sufficient quality to make the device work - its an "only just" box.

Its probably running near full tilt to give the device what it needs, like a small car engine towing a caravan - it can do it, but just, and the engine will be making all sorts of noises to do it. A more powerfull engine/adapter can handle the load, and wont need to run at full tilt to do it. Therefore will supply a much more steady and quality power.

Im no electrical engineer, but as long as the voltage is correct and the current being drawn isnt too great for the transformer, then it should be fine
DrSeeAll
Grafter

Is this loss of synch?

Yes, your right.
The 3com PSU is 1250mA. The 300mA one I replaced it with was still OK after a few hours, but a bit warm. Smiley
I've now put another one on rated at 1200mA.

The 19dB noise figure didn't last for long. It gradually dropped to 3dB at about 9.30pm and now has crept back upto 13dB (10.30pm).
No disconnections though! Fingers crossed.
Community Veteran

Is this loss of synch?

Could have saved you a house fire there!

Mine seems more stable, but it is just back to where it was before the transformer started to go.

Hope it helps you.
N/A

Is this loss of synch?

One thing I will add here is that you have spotted a pattern.

If this happens pretty much like clockwork within that 1 hour period each night, it signals that something is happening at this time every night to cause it.

Do you or your neighbours have any outdoor lighting that comes on or off at this time?

Does your own or your neighbours central heating system come on or off at this time?
DrSeeAll
Grafter

Is this loss of synch?

One thing I will add here is that you have spotted a pattern.

Not really. Noise margin gets worse at night but often the disconnects are during the middle of the night.

If this happens pretty much like clockwork within that 1 hour period each night, it signals that something is happening at this time every night to cause it.

Some days it is OK. Certainly not like " clock work"

Do you or your neighbours have any outdoor lighting that comes on or off at this time?

No. Nothing like that.

Does your own or your neighbours central heating system come on or off at this time?

No. Nothing like that, either.

Thanks for your input. Smiley
rammie1976
Grafter

Is this loss of synch?

Could have saved you a house fire there!

Mine seems more stable, but it is just back to where it was before the transformer started to go.

Hope it helps you.

I also have a 3Com wireless router and was getting similar disconnections - I blamed Pipex! Wink

However they continued even after I migrated to +net, then a couple of weeks in the power supply failed! Cost £15 to get a new 3Com one. Evil

Seems ok now, but I still get the XP "you are connected" info box appear over the Network Connection icon in the tray, at random times. And odd occurances of "obtaining a network address" (or some such phrase)....but I'm out in the sticks with a max. line speed of 1mb.
N/A

Is this loss of synch?

archaeolith

The two most common causes of those symptoms are the network card or the network cable.
rammie1976
Grafter

Is this loss of synch?

archaeolith

The two most common causes of those symptoms are the network card or the network cable.

well I'm on a wireless 3Com router and a laptop with a "pc card" (can't remember name) in the slot, so does that mean its card?