cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this better?

N/A

Is this better?

My line attenuation has changed from 54db on the downstream to this i gather this now better?

ADSL Link
Connection Speed 5152 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation Downstream 15.5 db Noise Margin 6.8 db
Line Attenuation Upstream 31.5 db Noise Margin 20.0 db
7 REPLIES
shellsong
Grafter

Is this better?

:?: HOW :?: :?-- has your connection entered the Twilight Zone?
N/A

Is this better?

have no idea its been all over the place all of last week and ive just noticed its changed still waiting for my speed to go back up as im only getting 2mb, stable rate is set to 5mb but have to wait for bt to reset there side of things so ive been told.
Just wondered why my line db have changed so much.
ady
Grafter

Is this better?

mine did that, i remember posting on forums my line attenuation being 45, i psted that on a few forums, then it went up to 60db and then varied from 57-63db from then on

i asked the BT engineer who came to my house, and he said it has always been 57db. no. just no.
Community Veteran

Is this better?

a few dB variation is not unlikely as weather in particular might affect the line; a drop of 40dB or so however implies some really substantial physical change either in your home wiring or by BT in the copper to the exchange
Community Veteran

Is this better?

xdevildog,

Have your upstream figures change at all? It is extremely rare for such an improvement to occur on it own - To put it into perspective, your signal strength has actually increased by 10,000x

Either you had a fault on the line which BT have recently fixed or your connection to the exchange has been changed and your distance (in terms of telephone line length, not geographically) has been shortened with the corresponding improvement in quality. BT do sometimes re-route connections or install new cables to the exchange and move people on to them.

Line attenuation is usually proportionate to your line length with each 10dB drop equivalent to 1KM in distance. So using that basic calculation, your line length has reduced from 5.5KM to about 1.5KM.
N/A

Is this better?

Good things always seem short lived I rebooted my router and now it reads 53db hmm I have rebooted everyday over the past 3 days as im trying to gain my speed back as im set on 2mb even tho stable rate and my sync is 5+ and it was still reading 15db until reboot today strange.
N/A

Is this better?

It wouldn't be a Netgear, would it :roll: They do that. They go to 15.5db and sadly it's a bug. Normally you have to disconnect the physical connection to the telephone line to get a correct reading, as well as turning the router off and on.