cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a disconnection threat?

N/A

Has anyone else recieved an e-mail similar to the one I recieved today which was as follows:-

"We are emailing you to advise you of a recent billing problem that has caused a delay to your Direct Debit payment being taken for your PlusNet subscription.

Unfortunately, the submission of our payment files to our bank on the 4th June has not been processed by them and therefore no payment has been taken from you for the service.
As such, we will be resubmitting the payment requests shortly. This should be debited from your account on or after Monday 25th June 2007. As long as this payment is successful, there will be no interruption to your connection.

We would like to apologise for any inconvenience that this delay may cause you
."

I phoned my bank and they have confirmed that no application for the payment was made. When I read the first bold paragraph to them they said that it sounded as if Plusnet had submitted their folder of Direct Debits to their own merchant bank for collection and that bank had failed to process them. Reading the second bold paragraph sounds to me that if PlusNets bank cocks up again on Monday 25th then there could be an interruption to my service i.e. i will be cut off through no fault of mine. Can you comment on this please Plusnet?
8 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

There was a problem with our Direct Debit run on the 4th and no payment requests made it to customers' banks, I'm not personally sure exactly where in the banking chain it broke down. The payments are all being resubmitted on the 25th now should there be a further problem which means that the request doesn't make it to your bank and other customers' banks then there wouldn't be any interuption in service we'd have to investigate why and re-arrange the payment again.

Essentially if the payments fail again because of our fault or our bank's fault then there'd be no interuption in service if it failed because of something of your doing, for example you cancel the Direct Debit at the bank tomorrow then the payment would fail and your browsing would be directed to a page to process the payment via card.
N/A

Thanks Dave for the reassurance. I think the e-mail could have been a little clearer.
Regards
Dave
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

This will have been an automated scripted e-mail, and in no way specific to your circumstances.
lockettpots
Grafter

Yes. I had one as well. The interesting thing is that on my account summary it said (and still says)
Last payment 4.06.2007 (fully paid)

John
Community Veteran

Have you confirmed with your bank that the payment has been taken. If it has, watch out for anther one and raise a ticket if payment is taken again.
James
Grafter

That's common with the account that were not charged. As Peter says, it's an idea to double check with your bank just incase, but there shouldn't have been any payment taken on the 4th.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I've had one, my billing date is on the 4th as well.

While I appreciate this mail has come from a script, problem it is only by coming here we find out the failure occured between PlusNet and their bank rather than ours.

One of the things I hate about DD (and I am talking generally not having a dig at PlusNet) is they can and do sometimes fail through no fault of our own.

I remember when my first Student Loan DD failed, and they sent me a threating letter saying they were going to charge me a penalty should it happen again. Thing was I had set the DD up as I should have done and the money was there. The Student Loans Company told me they had no problems their end, the bank refused the payment and I should speak to them. So I did and they told me they tried to take payment from a different reference number to the one which was originally set up therefore they refused it.

Sorted it out in the end by setting up a new DD, but that was hardly my fault. I don't like being treated like I am in the wrong, when at times that might not be the case.

Anyway thanks for your response Smiley
Liam
Grafter

I actually drafted that email, so I take onboard your feedback. It wasn't supposed to sound like the problem was at your end, and the second bit the OP highlighted in bold was, as Dave said, if the payment was unsuccessful in that your bank reject the payment for some reason.

Sorry if it caused any confusion.