cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a program that...

N/A

Well considering my connection won't last more than 15 minutes without going idle and not transferring any data at all, is there a program out there that can detect when the connection has gone dead, disconnect and redial for you?

Failing that, is there a program that will just disconnect and reconnect at certain intervals, ie: every 30 mins, cos this is roughly how long a connection lasts, if i'm lucky!
29 REPLIES
ChrisR
Grafter

You shouldn't need to get any program, apparently broadband is an always on connection. Raise a ticket with PlusNet.
N/A

I know I "shouldn't" need to, but the fact is I do, since saturday, my dsl won't maintain a connection for more than 5-30 minutes...but it doesn't disconnect or lose sync, it just goes idle and won't transfer any data...therefore I do need a program...so back on topic...is there such a program, as it'll be days/weeks/months(j/k) before I get a usable reply from PN!
N/A

http://www.plus.net/support/general/signup_faq.shtml

That says Plusnet think broadband is always-on too. Always-on except when the idle disconnect turns it off, that is.
N/A

ARGH...*pulls hair out*

Regardless of whatever the service is supposed to be, at the moment it isn't and I do need a program like that I requested, so would the pedants kindly p*** off and anyone who feels like being helpful, stick around...thanks!

This is the problem... http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=36270
ChrisR
Grafter

Suit yourself.

Find your own program.
N/A

Suit yourself.

Find your own program.

LOL...all i did was call you a pedant Tongue
N/A

Maybe you forgot the "p*** off" bit.
Community Veteran

I would defo get PN to investigate this.

Could you use task scheduler in windows or cron in *nix to achieve what you want?
Community Veteran

To bring this back on topic.

You could setup your e-mail client, to collect e-mail at regular intervals.

Also which product are you on? The idle disconnect only apply to BB+ and some obsolete account types. I also understand that you can opt out of the idle disconnects.

It does sound like you may have a problem with your connection.

Chilly
Saturn
Grafter

Does sound like a connection problem, rather than Idle Timeouts. Don't suppose there's a new Firewall installed that's a little too aggresive?
N/A

I would defo get PN to investigate this.

Could you use task scheduler in windows or cron in *nix to achieve what you want?

I don't think task scheduler is any good for this Sad
N/A

You could setup your e-mail client, to collect e-mail at regular intervals.

Thing is, would this disconnect and reconnect....because the line goes idle, but doesn't actually disconnect!

Also which product are you on? The idle disconnect only apply to BB+ and some obsolete account types. I also understand that you can opt out of the idle disconnects.

It does sound like you may have a problem with your connection.

BB Premier...it's not just me with this problem though, as noted in my other thread, I first thought it was just my system/line causing me grief, but this seems to be a lil wider spread!
N/A

Does sound like a connection problem, rather than Idle Timeouts. Don't suppose there's a new Firewall installed that's a little too aggresive?

No firewall to speak of at the moment, never had a single serious attack in the 5+ years i was on BB and had one installed, so uninstalled it and free'd up a lil system memory.

The thing that really confuses me is the fact the line doesn't disconnect, it just essentially goes dead, with no data being sent/received!
Saturn
Grafter

What happened about the DNS Servers (didn't I see something in the other thread)? Which ones are you using (I'm using 212.159.13.49/50)?