cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a problem with the newsgroups?

N/A

2 Days and almost everything i try and download is article not found on server,so many incomplete posts. I thought demon had got bad but this is ridiculously bad. Add to that the time it takes to initialy get a web page to open and the service does start to get so damn irritating. Is this problem being looked into at all?Huh
14 REPLIES
csogilvie
Grafter

lhorwath
Grafter

hi there,

Our Network team have investigated this thoroughly since the it was initially raised and we did have a slight problem that has been resolved. I have tested this myself, as have the network team and we cannot see a further problem.

As to the speed issue you are having. Is that purely on the newsgroups or in general?

The network team have said they will review this next week, however if many customers are seeing this problem I will escalate the problem.
Community Veteran

Luke, if you follow the link Colin has posted you will see there is still a problem with missing bodies for headers which is still under investigation.
lhorwath
Grafter

I did follow the link and it was to Sergio I spoke to. He cannot see a problem anymore with it, hence my post.

As I said if many customers are seeing this, then please do get back to us and we will continue to investigate.

I know Sergio is in discussion with one company to see if there is a better way of connecting the spools to the readers, but it would not be a reason for incompletes.
N/A

Ah thx for reply, speed problem is just an annoyance not a real issue,any url i type in just takes 5-10 secs or so to actually display the page. It isnt a local router configuration issue, Ive taken this router/pc into work and connected to their ISP and its like lightning. Ive discussed the configuration with Zyxel and all is good. Just wondered why the pause happens. Ive tried forward and reverse lookup of name/ip and it returns instantly so dns looks fine. Any ideas to speed it up would be much appreciated.
N/A

I did follow the link and it was to Sergio I spoke to. He cannot see a problem anymore with it, hence my post.

I dont want to sound silly as I dont understand the technical aspects of whats happening but if whoever is in charge of running the usenet side cannot see the problem then there's something wrong.

I did a incremental update of alt.binaries.multimedia this morning, the files I wnated were listed as complete. I have just gone to download them and they have gone, the articles are missing.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

Do you have any proxy settings set in your web browser? This might cause a delay.

What about email or ftp? Any delays noticed with these?
N/A

Luke, I've posted numerous log files in the thread:
http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21198

Have you read my log files? And having read them, do you REALLY think there isn't a problem?
N/A

No proxy settings, just the dhcp dishing out def. gateway as router
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

The way the expiring of posts works is that the oldest ones are dropped off in hourly intervals (for bodies) because if they were done at a lower interval (e.g. once a day) we'd have to set retention at a day less.

This is because there are constantly new posts coming in and we're trying to keep the retention as high as possible, whilst at the same time accepting all the new posts and maximising the space on the harddrives.

The headers are different, because they don't take up as much space they can be dropped once a day. This is done overnight when it is relatively quiet as it takes more system resources to drop the headers, if we switched this to once an hour two it would have an impact on the performance of Usenet.

So what you will see is the oldest headers don't have a matching body, after 24 hours (at most) these headers will be gone too. Which means that immediately after headers have been dropped, headers and article numbers will match (give or take) and then over the course of the day as new articles come in the number of headers without a body will increase up until when the headers are dropped the following day when they will sync up again.

This is normal behaviour for a Usenet platform. If you are seeing a decrease in completion for new articles (less than 4-5 days old) then that is a different matter.
N/A

Dave,

If the headers and bodies are not synched, why not expire the headers more aggresively so that headers ALWAYS reflect the bodies that are available.

Ok, this might mean bodies are present when the headers are not, but surely this is a reasonable pay-off to ensure that headers make an accurate reflection of what's on the server?
N/A

It IS the latest articles im on about for the last 2 days the number of posts that get say 50% then decide theres articles missing is HUGE i cant get any of the posts ive been trying Sad
N/A

This is normal behaviour for a Usenet platform. If you are seeing a decrease in completion for new articles (less than 4-5 days old) then that is a different matter.

I'm talking about the bodies of articles disapering a few hours after they were initially posted!

Example:

'Smallville Season 4 Episode 2' was posted to alt.binaries.multimedia at around 6:00am today. I did a incremental update of the group with my news reader and the above set of files was complete on the plusnet server, this was around 8:00am. I tried to download these files at 4:00pm and they are all missing!
N/A

Sad Damn, thought this was fixed everything was looking fine then bang its all gone crap again, new posts all buggered up. This gonna be a new trend every few days?