cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the CCGI server broken?

N/A

I have a friend on a connect lite account who also has his ccgi space activated. It was working yesterday when I ftp'd to it, but today it does not exist. I have checked all of his account details, he is up to date, he is still a subscriber and his account still qualifies for the extra.

When visiting his domain name which is hosted on the ccgi, page not found. When using the ccgi.force9.co.uk address, page not found. When FTP'ing, I am getting an incorrect password, login failure.

I can't get him to raise a ticket as he is not too tech savvy and only just knows how to turn the pc on and conect to the net. Username is pubsinger.

I realise that under data protection you can't discuss with me, but an email to the customer would be appreciated.

Mark
15 REPLIES
JonathanW
Grafter

Hi,

There is a minor problem with the server at the moment, though this isn't affecting many people and its expected to be fixed soon.
N/A

Hi

Even thou the service status page states its been 24 days since any problems with the CCGI service my returned ticket states it knackered.....

I have 2 websites hosted on it and 1 is busy an needs to be up.....i was gonna do a backup of the forum this weekend and didnt!!!!!!

Regards

John

P.S I guess I will be moving them to http://ukwebsolutionsdirect.co.uk/hosting.php
and moving down to the 14.99 service with F9 and spend the saved monies on the above said hosting!
drtodd
Dabbler

Yep it's down for me too ...
I'm wondering the same thing - why isn't the Service Status updated to reflect the problem? I'm signed up to the (excellent) F9 usertools - and have received no email/alert reagrding the fact the CGI is down...
JonathanW
Grafter

Hi,

The ccgi server isn't down, and the majority of sites on there are up and running fine. However, there are a small number of customers who currently don't have a working account on the ccgi server, so their sites aren't working either.
N/A

So again, surely something posted in service status to that effect would be useful to the customers that are affected?

If it is only affecting 10 customers, the status can't be green and should be yellow at least.

Mark
drtodd
Dabbler

Jon - I understand it is a problem for a limted number of users - howverer, when I tried my site this morning nd it wasn't wokring; I immediately checked the server statue + F9 Usertools RSS feeds for any details - no information was available.

I had to raise a "Contact Us" issue with you - which wasted your time in answering it and my time in raising it - in order to understand it was something F9 knew about and were dealing with.

In the past, I have been directed to use the Service Status and F9 Usertools (quite correctly) to get more information on a situation; so in this case when I saw nothing posted at these locations my reaction was to thnk it was a problem solely with my account / my CGI space - this is not a comfortable feeling for customers.

Best Regards,
Darren
N/A

Hi

So are you gonna inform us of what % of people something has to effect,before the service status is changed!

I cant believe your answers F9....its been 9 hours since I noticed it down....minor? erm i think not!

.I guess my very popular www.seroxatmad.co.uk forum will have to go onto proper hosting.

Regards

John

P.S Another none exsisting customer service again.
JonathanW
Grafter

Hi,

The problem only affects a very small number of our customers. However, as we now have information about the cause of the problem a service status posting has been made, and this should now be available in the usual places.

Initially, due to the small number of people affected, it was felt that a service status wasn't required untill further information as to the full nature of the problem was available.
N/A

But that is pants!!! SS is still green and there is no access to the ccgi server, so how is the backup restored?
N/A

I must also add that last time F9 broke the cgi server and lost all the content, the problem of losing sites was addressed then too. Obviously not very well!!!
:twisted:
JonathanW
Grafter

Hi,

Access is currently being restored, however this is a slow process so might not be completed straight away. The best thing do to is continue to check, and once you gain access again you'll be able to reupload the site.
martinu
Dabbler

OK. You've got a problem with some accounts on your CGI server. Fair enough – these things happen. Good luck with sorting it out.

However, can you please make proper use of your Service Status page. It doesn't matter if only a few people are affected: as soon as you know that there is a problem which affects some of your customers, even before you know what the problem is and how long it will be before you can fix it, you should set the status of the affected service to amber with a note to explain its impact (eg some but not all customers affected). Then you can post further updates as you discover more about the problem. But don't wait until you know the solution before even telling people that there is a problem.

I wonder how many tickets customers have raised (wasting your time and theirs) because they didn't realise that it was a widespread problem that wasn't confined just to themselves?

I see that you've finally posted a summary of the problem and the impact at 18:17. I first reported the problem at 13:00, so why does it take so long to record the fact that there is a problem? And why is the status traffic light still green, even now?

I've seen this on several previous occasions when you've had temporary faults with servers: even several hours after I've raised a ticket to report the problem, there's no mention of it on the Service Status page.

What a shame that F9 doesn't take backups of its customers' data and expects customers to use up their bandwidth uploading the pages and databases all over again – it's like the fiasco a few months ago when Front Page sites were lost and needed to be uploaded all over again. It is irrelevant what your terms and conditions say about customers being responsible: not taking backups from the server looks very unprofessional. Shame on you, F9!
N/A

I've been with you a long time, with multiple different accounts.
This must be the third time where you've had hardware failures, software config problems and then crap code in 'a backend script'.
What is force9 going to do to mitigate the impact of this happening again?

Seriously, you can blarb on about how we should back up our data. Mine is backed up. However, it still takes time and effot to get back up with all the config files etc.
Perhaps YOU, as force9, should write a script which automatically copies the entire directory on the cgi server and dumps the database every day onto the force9 homepage space in a secure directory. I hope (for your sake) that you have a business contingency process actually in place for those servers.

How long would it take you to write the script? I would hope, about half an hour. We'll have problems doing it since we've got issues making connections to other hosts. If you do go down this route, all I can say is this: get your entire team to go over the code and test the script.

And as the above posts said, you need to correct the duration to how long between problems. It would have been nice to be told that you'd trashed all my files via email too.

This really damages your integrity as an IT organisation, let alone a computer-using organisation in the 21st century.
N/A

Hi

Well i have asked for a MAC key and am going to change to a 14.99 month basic ISP, spending the savings from paying 22.99 to 14.99 on having my 2 websites hosted else were.

Regards

John