cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is someone is stealing my connection?!!!

N/A

My computer died a couple of Fridays ago and I have only managed to build a new PC and get back online as of yesterday. Mine is the only computer in the house and so I was unable to connect to the net for that time and so switched my router off until yesterday when I reconnected.

I've just checked my usage for this month and during the whole offline period I have usage recorded!!!! How the hell can this happen and is this a mistake or is someone hacking my Plusnet account? I would suspect someone in jmy immediate area tapping into my wireless connection but how can they if the router has been off?

How do I go about getting Plusnet to investigate this as there is around 1444mb usage I know nothing about!!!!
20 REPLIES
N/A

I'm not sure if someone can use your logonid/password from another DSL activated line but I'm sure someone will clarify that here.

Be aware that there have also been issues with the VMBU tool under or over reporting usage and yours is not the first post I've seen in recent weeks indicating usage recorded when routers etc have been turned off.

Can you view the information from the old VMBU https://portal.plus.net/view_my_broadband_usage/viewmy_broadband_monthly.html, how does it compare with the new VMBU? What type of account do you have (PAYG, Plus, Premier, Business)?

However, I would definetely raise a ticket and get PN to investigate, it may be advisable to change your password as well.
N/A

Do you use wireless?
N/A

External servers could still be pinging your router even though your PC is turned off - this will still count as part of your usage. Some of the more techie ppl can confirm that this can happen as im just passing on what i have heard in the past.
N/A

I'm on Broaband Plus.

Thanks for the tip sherbrooke. I've just checked the old usage meter and that seems correct with no bandwith recorded for the offline period. The question is which one does Plusnet use to monitor my account?

If it is the new one then this is some serious bug. Misreporting by a few megabytes I can just about understand but this shows that I have used about 1.5 gigs when I haven't!!!!! Therefore if they monitor using the new gauge then I could well recieve a warning when it isn't deserved.

Plusnet will certainly be receiving a ticket about this!!!! :x
N/A

can someone tell me , as a BB+ user can I access usenet? I thought I was unable to , yet my VMBU is showing that I have usenet traffic usage of 430k. I know its not a lot, but I thought usenet wasnt an option on BB+ so why the traffic?
N/A

I don't know which set of data PN use for throttling your account but yes, definitely raise a ticket fully explaining the situation.

PN believe the Incorrect data recording issue has been resolved VMBU and New Management Platform - Update but I know from comparing my router, old and new VMBU that that's simply not true and to be honest I've given up raising tickets since the CSC reps simply ignore it.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
N/A

Any idea where I go to raise a ticket from the website (I've tried searching aorund but the Help & Support pages are a joke and there are no obvious links to email/submit an isse like this) or should I just call them? :?

Although from what I can tell by the Service Status page their customer service limne is having problems too... :roll:

Have been with PN for the last few months and have been happy with the service but it's all turning into a bit of a joke in my eyes now...
Community Veteran

Help & support
Customer services and billing
Account management
Broadband Bandwidth Usage
Click either of the 2 next options to get a pop-up help page
Close the pop-up window
click 'Alternatively, ask your question to the Support Team' and enter your question.

Simple when you know how... NOT!!!!
N/A

Yep, the option to raise a ticket without going through the sodding various options would be useful

Anyway.....

From the Help Assistant, select "Customer Services and Billing", then "Account Management" then "Broadband Bandwidth Usage", select either of the two options, close the popup and select "Alternatively, ask your question to the Support Team"
N/A

Thanks for the help guys.... ticket has been raised.
N/A

can someone tell me , as a BB+ user can I access usenet? I thought I was unable to , yet my VMBU is showing that I have usenet traffic usage of 430k. I know its not a lot, but I thought usenet wasnt an option on BB+ so why the traffic?

I know this may sound silly but have you been on any usenet providers web sites, Easynews in particular?

Because Easynews allow downloads from their web site, I believe PN class ALL connections to their IP block as usenet traffic (http, https or nntp)!!
N/A

Nope I don't use any of that stuff....
N/A

nope, maybe google news groups, would that count as usenet or http? I am still trying to find out how to use 1.5 GB of http traffic in 3 hours, I have never been able to surf that much previously or since.
N/A

Ahhh, the wonderous secrets of the new VMBU, the usenet usage sounds like a mis-categorisation of some sort, our VMBU says we've used VOIP traffic but I know we haven't.

I'm more concerned that VMBU says we've used 2GB in the past 8 days but I know it should be 12GB (as shown in the old vmbu and by our router) but what the hell, tickets have been ignored too many times for me to waste my time reporting it again and again and again and PN say its fixed so it must be!