cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is my line upgraded ?

N/A

Is my line upgraded ?

I recently upgraded my ADSL line to 8Mb. But form the speed test results. My actual connection speed is just as the same as before.

The test results are:

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 4000 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 5408 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 988 kbps

Also I checked this link http://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=stable_rate

My current broadband speed is still at 1000 Kbps. So is my line upgraded yet ? :roll:

Thanks for helping in advance. Smiley
11 REPLIES
James
Grafter

Is my line upgraded ?

Hi,

I've made a change to your profile at our end. Try rebooting in about 15 minutes and hopefully you will be pleasantly surprised.
Liam
Grafter

Is my line upgraded ?

Okies... I've updated the profile this end for you.

Disconnect and then reconnect and then give it a whirl. :-)
tssk
Grafter

Is my line upgraded ?

I'm having similar problems, which is on a ongoing ticket.
This all started around six weeks ago after asking for a upgrade for up to 8meg Max - I'll never learn!

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 500 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 1024 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 447 kbps

http://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=stable_rate
Your High-speed Broadband Service
Your current broadband speed is 2000 Kbps

Now I have had a connection on several days in the past month where it has been rock solid at 3.2 to 3.4 meg for a day or more at a time, then a reboot or shutdown overnight does it all in, this last week has seen it max out at 1meg or less on the line - and that's after anything up to an hour of waiting for its on off antics trying to connect!

Well frustrating when you are trying to get things done, like banking online etc.

Anybody care to enlighten me please, I have about four strands of hair left!

Tel
James
Grafter

Is my line upgraded ?

Your IP Profile is set to 500kbps. That's the BT BRAS profile/restriction.

Do you know what sort of sync speed you're getting currently?
tssk
Grafter

Is my line upgraded ?

Hi James, If you mean what is it currently running at on the PCI WAN Adapter live info...

It says: receive rate 1024kbits and transmit rate 448kbit.
The modem itself says it has a 1meg connection?
James
Grafter

Is my line upgraded ?

Pretty much. That basically means that you are connected to the exchange at 1mbps.

How is your modem wired up? Does it connect directly into a filter and then into your master socket? If so, that would be you best wiring setup.

If you manage to maintain the level of sync that you currently have, then it should improve. However, it appears that the speed at which you are connecting to the exchange at has recently dropped, so it might be an idea to try using a different filter.
tssk
Grafter

Is my line upgraded ?

The modem is on an extension then into the master and filtered first, and before you say anything, its been that way since I got adsl - no problems!

Its not physically possible to do away with the extension, because of where everything is set up\master socket awkward place etc.

I changed the filters just in case, no difference... it all really comes down to one thing James, since I asked for the Max upgrade everything has gone to pot, it was rock solid on 2.2meg before, and in hindsight I should have left it at that, what I was asking on my ticket is the same as I ask now, if its not possible to set the profile\BRAS etc at around the 3meg-ish mark which works nicely, can I go back to my nice, steady, useful 2.2meg connection? What I have now is ridiculous the way it jumps around with the connection for the past six weeks... So much for it taking approximately ten days... Sad
James
Grafter

Is my line upgraded ?

Hi,

Because your line is syncing at 1mbps, it is impossible for you to attain a 3mbps speed. The sync speed is caused in it's entireity by the connection from your modem to the exchange.

You did briefly have a 3.5mbps profile, which suggests that your level of sync is fluctuating. If we were to involve BT, they will immediately blame your extension cable, as I would also be inclined to do, same as before or not Wink

It would be possible to move you back to a fixed rate product, but I'm currently unable to get any particularly useful information from BT's testing system to determine which speed we would be able to move you back to.
N/A

Is my line upgraded ?

Okies... I've updated the profile this end for you.

Disconnect and then reconnect and then give it a whirl. :-)

Thanks James and Liam, my Actual IP throughput is now 2662 kbps. Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Is my line upgraded ?

@funfiles

Could you put a wireless router beside the master socket? Or use a normal wired router with a long ethernet cable? Routers usually do better than modems in your PC.

It's probably worth dragging all your equipment to the master socket to see what the best you can get is.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
tssk
Grafter

Is my line upgraded ?

Elvin, only just got everything set back up, tried what you said, vis a vis dragging stuff downstairs and trying it directly plugged into the master socket - with and without the faceplate on - it made it worse would you believe! It either didn't want to make an attempt at a connection, or it was trying to connect on and off for over an hour, no proper connection at all... weird!

So its all dragged back upstairs re-connected - even did a complete backup and re-install of XP, fresh install of the modem software etc etc... and it took over threequarters of an hour to finally connect correctly... at 960kbs... I'm tempted to buy a router, but I'm also thinking will I just be throwing money away that I can't really afford, on something that won't rectify this.