cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it worth reporting speed issues?

N/A

Since I got the 8MB downgrade things have gone from bad to worse. I have suffered missing emails and speeds bordering on the ridiculous. I did try to report a ticket, they told me to try the BT login which I did but the speed test did not work and when I went back to them with that the message went into that limbo where all plusnet tickets go to die.

So I am wondering, is it worth reporting speed issues? It is not just the pathetic mostly sub 2mb (was nearly 6mb at one point) speed but the time it takes to access web pages and download mail.

Webpages seem to be really slow at first and then pick up subject to how the speed seems to be performing on that day.

This gives the effect of a very lethargic system, you load a page, there is a wait and then it seems to load quickly. I am told that it is a DNS problem at Plusnet? Is that true? Is there a workaround?

Now that Plusnet has been swallowed by BT it seems that they have just given up on the speed issue. The join up page even says you won't get 8mb when due to contention.

So is that it? These are the speeds I get:

The above were done after several reboots of the router 2 days ago. It made no difference.

Here are some others done since I upgraded:

The Potential nearly 6mb!

Later Speed - Dropping

Couple weeks later Speed still falling

3 weeks later falls below 3mb

One of my worst

Even on the good days the initial load of webpages is slow.

ALSO, I read that they are going to use ADSL2 later this year, is there any benefit of me using an ADSL2 router now (I have one lying around here)?
8 REPLIES
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,

I would recommend raising a ticket for us to investigate this further, but unfortunately we will need some BT speedtests before BT will accept any issues we find. I appreciate it can take a few tries to get the speedtest to work, but it is necessary I'm afraid.

There are some things you can do to try and improve things, like a new filter and plugging the kit into the master telephone socket.
N/A

Hi and thanks for the reply.

I did replace the filters and did the master socket thing but the fact that all of those tests above (including the 5.6mb one) were on the same basic connection.

If nothing has changed at my end it suggests that something is wrong with BT or you, I had hoped that if you merged things might improve and you would not blame each other.

It was the BT Speedtest that did not work before, it came up with some error which I saved to an image and sent up on a ticket.

It was ticket : 20370297

The BT Error was

"System Error Image not loaded

Only TAP1 tests are enabled.
Please login as tap1 user.

Please wait while you are redirected.."

I uploaded this image and commented:

"So how can I run three tests when I can't even get one to work?"

"When you say "You should also be performing regular disconnects" do you mean unplug the router or reboot it.

Why does this help if I do this for three days and what is to say that it will not drop back.

What happened to the "always on" service."

The reply to this was not to tell me how to sort that error but:

"Due to the nature and design of the product the speeds will fluctuate on a daily basis , the regular disonnects/reconnects over a short period of time will allow for a possible Bras update if the device then syncs at a higher rate for a 3 day period then the speed throughput should also update.
Regards,"

I responded

"I can disconnect and reconnect for three days but surely not repeatedly to keep the account at a decent speed?

What is a "Bras update"

What is "syncs at a higher rate"

What about the query I raised on this ticket about the error on the BT Speedtester, is that not an idication of a problem?"

The reply i got then was

Disconnecting two or three times a day, over a three day period, will cause the BT equipment to analise your line further and then if you consistently sync at the higher speed they will lift your speed profile, contained on the BRAS, and you'll therefore start to see faster throughput speeds.

As for your comments on the BT Speed Tester, we have had a few other reports, and this is due to the fact that BT are in the process of upgrading this service to better troubleshoot Max speed issues.

Well I try to disconnect as much as possible, four times on the same day 2 days ago as you can see about.

That is why I asked if there is any point, it seems to me that this is at best a 2mb service and the web page loading issues make it worse. I have the firefox add-in that counts how long a page takes to load, sometimes it was 15s for very common pages.

Oh and after rebooting a few times today I did another test just now and this is my speed:

So much for 8mb!
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,

I'm not in the office at the moment, but if you raise a ticket for me with the speedtests you have and let me know I'll see what I can do.

Fair enough? Smiley
Community Veteran

All the gateways seem to be a problem this evening, not getting >1.6Mb on any of them myself. Can not get onto the BT speedtester to check the exchange. Sad

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
N/A

Hi there,

I'm not in the office at the moment, but if you raise a ticket for me with the speedtests you have and let me know I'll see what I can do.

Fair enough? Smiley

Hi Mand

Yes that sounds fair enough except I did all this before, what I was trying to understand was whether there is anything you can do. The signup page seemed to say "it may be an 8mb line but don't expect anything like that".

Well I thought to take this forward I would start over.

So I went to the BT Speed tester and got this result:

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 5500 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 2720 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1817 kbps

If you wish to discuss these results please contact your ISP.

If you are experiencing problems with specific applications, servers or websites please contact your ISP for assistance.

I will raise a ticket today, hopefully I will not just get the default fob off I got before.
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,

Let me know when the ticket is raised and I'll handle it for you.

No fob off I promise. Smiley
N/A

This is the image from the speedtest

I went to the Plusnet speed test link at

http://www.plus.net/my.html?action=stable_rate

It says my connection is 3mb:

So BT Speedtest says my line is rated at 5.5mb and Plusnet says "Your current broadband speed is 3000 Kbps

This is the speed that the network supplier is telling us you should expect on your line."

The actual is about 1.7mb as shown by three different sites above (Speedtest.net, BT and ADSLGUIDE)

So who is right and should I expect any better?

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting
N/A

Hi Mand

I have raised a ticket, the number is 21184038

Thanks for your help