cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to change username?

PhillipH
Grafter

is it possible to change your plusnet adsl (login) username?
11 REPLIES
N/A

this has been asked a few times (no7oliver Wink ) and it's not possible, well not without alot of messing around.

the only possible way i can think of is to downgrade your current username account to a free dial up one, then start a new broadband account, this might have other implications that i am not aware of but i'm not sure.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I'd believe (though this may have changed), that you can do this by opening a free dial-up account under the new desired name. Being a non-subscription account this initally would only have posting privilages in the dial-up forum.

Though it has been said that if you let PlusNet or a mod know, providing you have a subscription-based account they will transfer the posting privilages across to the free acount.
Community Veteran

Whopps misread that. My reply was in response in just changing your name on the forums only, which is fine if that's all you want to do. If you want to do it for your entire ADSL account I don't think that is possible.
joncooper
Grafter

I would also like to change my adsl (login) username, if I'd known all extra email accounts (wife, kids, etc) would be stuck with my username in them I'd have chosen better / differently.

I have asked before, as have many others, apparently it's not possible. Sad
Alecto
Grafter

@joncooper
You can always set up gmail accounts with better names and use those instead of your Plusnet email (or even as well). That's what I've done.
You can access them thru outlook express just the same, and gmail goes down less often than Plusnet mail.
This would also mean keeping the same email address for ever instead of changing when you move ISP.
I can send you a gmail invite if you like.
Community Veteran

If you wish to change username just because you not do like your current one in e-mail address, then you have two options;

1) Register a domain and use that.
But have a quick search on these forums before you do. This option will cost you money, but with a little research you can save yourself lots.

2) Create a new Pay-As-You Dial up account, using your preferred username. And use this for your mail. Providing you collect your mail to keep the account active PlusNet will (should) not close it even if you do not use it to dial-in.

Chilly
Community Veteran

As chilly says, I'd definitely recommend registering a domain from a registrar (this costs about £10 a year). Then you can either use the free web/e-mail forwarding they normally provide to forward to your e-mail to PlusNet or you can even get PlusNet to host your web/e-mail directly by changing the nameservers to theirs and raising a ticket (Note this is not the same as tranferring the registration).

Then if you wanted to move away from Plus, you can just change the nameservers back for the free forwarding, or pay a bit extra for hosting elsewhere. This is what I did when I required more webspace.
Community Veteran

HI Jon,

if you choose to set up your own domian. Register it via a 3rd party such as fashtosts, 123.reg etc. Then point the name server settings at PN servers. After doing this ask PN to alter your bb account to allow your new domain to be pointed at and recoginsed by the pn servers. effectively www.jonHuher.plus.net and jon@jonHuher.plus.net , will become www.jonsnewdomain.co.uk and job@jonsnewdomain.co.uk

This way mccHuh??.co.uk and all my mail boxes point at my amccHuh??.plus.net email accounts.

Anyone sending mail to a@MccHuh?.co.uk has their mail sent to my a@mccHuh??.plus.net account. You can have as many as you want.

Doing it this way is cheapest as you pay the registration company directly and PN will change you account settings when you ask. If you reg via pn they will charge you £12 per year.

If it's easier for you let pn register it for you. If you don't mind getting stuck in register it yourself.

A
joncooper
Grafter

hi guys, thanks for all the suggestions, our own domain is exactly what we did in the end, much simpler and more transportable should I need a new ISP anytime

just that I'd rather have been able to change my user name

in fact I'd argue that +net not letting me has made a future move easier, I don't have the uasual worry of updating email addresses all over the place
shermans
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

On my old subscription account, I got a free .co.uk with Plusnet but when I upgraded to BB, I had to transfer it out, because I don't think Plusnet pays for them anymore - but perhaps worth asking.

I use 123-reg.co.uk and it cost me about £2 per year for two years last time I did it - incredibly cheap and a very good management system to let you do all sorts of things. But the best is the ability to point your emails wherever you want without changing email address - i.e if the Plusnet servers are down, you can temporarily re-direct your emails to another POP3 account. It is always worth having a back-up service; they are also free on PAYG and can be accessed without having to use the PAYG dial-up, just the Plusnet broadband connection. You would have to set the SMPTP server to the Plusnet outgoing mail server (relay.plus.net) but the pop3 would be for instance pop3.tiscali.net or pop3.uk2.net etc. I have hundreds of them, including several Plusnet ones (but don't tell the Comms team) !
N/A

its very strange how companys find it so hard to change simple things here in uk....or cant be bothered..

in the usa my friends can change username and have new one working by a few clicks on computer... and is working next time logging in ..... in fact they can change it quicker than pn can answer a question...
people should complain more.. its not always it cant be done its policy is we wont do that.. or dont have the knowledge of how to do it..