cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it just contention?

Community Veteran

Is it just contention?

Hi all!
I was MAX'ed on 25/04/06 and started syncing at 8128d/448u right away, after a few days my MSR was being reported as 8000 kbps (and still is).
However I've not been able to actually download anything faster than 2.5Mbps, either real-world or the F9/adslguide speed tests.

Is this exchange contention or is it more likely to be artifical throttling at f9's end?
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
6 REPLIES
JonathanW
Grafter

Is it just contention?

Looking at your account, there is nothing in place that would be limiting you to 2.5mbps of throughput, as the report we received from BT on your line has set your profile to the full 8mbps.

Is it anything in particular that you are seeing these slow speeds on, or is it all traffic that you pass through your connection? If the former is the case, then its most likely going to be down to the server that you're downloading from. Where as the latter could be a result of contention in your exchange. But the best thing to do is run a BT speed test, the details for which are available here: BT Speed Test
Community Veteran

Is it just contention?

BT Speedtest pulled in at 2.5Mb/s although I was unable to log in using the speedtest account, probably due to MAX not being an IPStream based product?

The F9 & the AG tests also show the same speed.

I guess I can live with 2560 down, 448 up, it means the websites i host are now at least twice as responsive Smiley

Regards,
Andrew D Wiles.
ukbrown
Grafter

Is it just contention?

I dont see fast speeds using speed tests either,

BUT

newsrover collects headers from newsgroups at very near the speed of my line 478KB/s (only at 7am when no one else is really about).

Newsrover is multi threaded and spawns 5 collectintion threads using a fast simple protocol, to what are traditionally fast servers that dish out files quickly.

I am no sure that "old" speed test tools that were possibly designed for dial up can cut it anymore.
ed
Grafter

Is it just contention?

Hey dsmirc I beat you as the oldest member Tongue

I wonder if F9 could set my line up to be 2mbps down and 448kbps up ?
Community Veteran

Is it just contention?

Is it anything in particular that you are seeing these slow speeds on, or is it all traffic that you pass through your connection? If the former is the case, then its most likely going to be down to the server that you're downloading from.

Hi Jon,
I can get a stable ~300 KByte/s from Microsoft, Apple & Mirror.ac.uk, but trying 3 simultanious downloads from those 3 sites, my total throughput is still only 300 KByte/s.

I've yet to try with different hardware, as a FreeBSD machine with a USB modem may not be the most sensible of routers to run at 8Mb
Community Veteran

Is it just contention?

Hey dsmirc I beat you as the oldest member Tongue

I wonder if F9 could set my line up to be 2mbps down and 448kbps up ?

Thanks for that thomassoft, I don't feel quite so old now Tongue

Have you tried queue jumping? thats what i did Smiley