cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it fair to say that...

manero
Grafter

...anything other than web surfing is now basically unusable during peak times? (and that's slow as well)
23 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Err no

At this moment my daughter is watching a clip from a BBC interview on one PC. My son is playing World of Worcraft on another, and I am posting here on the forums from my Laptop.
Which is a little bit more than just surfing.
manero
Grafter

well done. I've got a 668k connection, usenet unusable, myspace streaming unusable, P2P unusable. brilliant
N/A

I'm gonna have to go with manero, for tonight anyway.

I can't game (and that includes World of Warcraft).
I can't download from Usenet at anything above 30kbps.
Web browsing is either chronically slow, or I get 404s.
Streaming is almost impossible.

Sad
Community Veteran

Could very well be exchange congestion. Have you both checked the state of your BT exchanges??
Mine is green at the moment that indicates no problems but a lot are on red acccording to posts on here.
N/A

I've no problems streaming video here (YouTube etc is fine). Usenet is slow, but thats to be expected, as it's in the "low priority" queue. Email was quite slow earlier this evening though (picking up from an external pop3 server, not PN's).
manero
Grafter

thanks for your advice, but basically everytime peak hours kick in my service all but collapses. It's as if I'm being throttled, but I'm nowhere near my limit. cheers anyway.
N/A

My Exchange Status is showing as green I'm afraid.
N/A

lets take a wild guess, llu user by any chance :lol:
N/A

Got to join the bandwagon here, browsing, streaming video, streaming radio are a nightmare at peak times & off peak. Downloading files from a website, not p2p or usenet & I struggle to get over 900kbs @ 11:50pm thats rediculous.

Nothing else running apart from firefox, complete av & syware scans done, exchange at green I'm on MaxDSL.

MSN 8000 & sync at 8.1Mb - there's something wrong at plusnet towers & tickets are a waste of time, as they take days to get a response, you reply then days to get a response & phone support lol

N/A

i agree with the last poster. it IS plusnets problem. stop trying to say it's the user all the time. there's too many of us in the same boat for us all to have busy exchanges, LLU, bad configuration of routers/firewalls, over our quota or trying to use plusnet during "peak" hours!!!!

The ball is firmly in plusnet's court. come on plusnet! please.
Community Veteran

i agree with the last poster. it IS plusnets problem.

Well it could be! However, seeing as the poster in question hasn't run the BT test, then he hasn't narrowed it down enough to reliably point a finger at anything tbh!

If he were to run the BT test around the time that he had done the other testing, and it were to come back showing good throughput.........then the finger could be pointed with some conviction. But until he does that................. :idea:

*EDIT*
Hmmm Unless he is on LLU of course.
I still don't know what test (Like the BT one) a user can perform that cuts PN out of the loop.
N/A

seventhstar
I still don't know what test (Like the BT one) a user can perform that cuts PN out of the loop.

I think it's this one, never tried it so cant say for sure:-
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/llutest.htm
manero
Grafter

I'm pretty sure it 'aint BT. Off peak: connection, streaming, usent, P2P - excellent. But as the peak period kicks in everything collapses. As I said before, it's as if I'm being throttled (though I certainly shouldn't be). Thanks for the advice though, I will try the BT test.
N/A

i agree with the last poster. it IS plusnets problem.

Well it could be! However, seeing as the poster in question hasn't run the BT test, then he hasn't narrowed it down enough to reliably point a finger at anything tbh!

The poster in question (me) has run the BT Speedtest, and is unable to get it too work (see here)