cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is everyone Blind to how Rubbish PlusNet is??

N/A

This is terrible. At home I am with Pipex, theyre bloody wonderful, never have any problems, get full download speeds 24/7, 100kbs on 1meg connex. At my flat with plusnet 2meg connex, I get 3kbs!! I pay like about £4 more on the pipex. This is rediculous and its not right, I am not recieveing anywhere near the service I was expecting. PlusNet are seriously in the wrong here and they are a poor service provider. I am very angry and will be looking into _____ing the contract as soon as I can.
23 REPLIES
Ben_Brown
Grafter

What are you doing when you get those speeds?

What time of day is it?

Have you tried any BT Speed Tests?
N/A

I get these speeds less than 1kbs during peak times and upto 5kbs late night. The fact is I am recieving an incredibly below par service with PlusNet which I have never had with other service providers. I am by no means a heavy user and have recieved bad connection from the start of my subscription to PlusNet. I'm fed up of some of the other users sticking up for PlusNet and saying how much of a hard job they're getting, but this is an unsatisfactory service which we are paying for, more of an issue to be raised with trading standards than to merit praise I think.

I would very much like to know now, the procedure to cancel my subscription to PlusNet, contract length, additional break charges no doubt must be applied. If somebody could give me information about this that would be great.
N/A

Why did you change to PlusNet if you were so happy?
N/A

yet anouther
N/A

Why did you change to PlusNet if you were so happy?

This is irrelevant, whatever reason he chose to get a plusnet connection doesn't change the fact that he and many others are getting a poor service from Plusnet.

In my case I too am seeing poor performance across all protocols and before anyone tries to blame BT or contention I regularly check the BT speedtest and get results from 1,700 to 1900kbps so this tends to imply that it isn't BT at fault.

Last test was 17:10 and result was 1897 kilo bits per second (Kbps), your service bandwidth will have been quoted to you in kilo bits per second.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

hawkmoon - what sort of speeds do you get from http://ftp.heanet.ie?
N/A

run a BT Speed Test

That's all we ever see on here now isn’t it? Even google seems to have picked up on it (type in "run a BT Speed Test" into google and hit "I'm feeling lucky" ;-))

It doesn't matter what the problem is, or the fact there seems to be so many customers complaining about speed, the answer from CS always remains rigidly "run a BT Speed Test". That's twice I've seen the "run a BT Speed Test" patter today, both in this thread, and on abonwick's other thread. Shall we get some T-shirts made up for PlusNet customer service staff that say "Run a BT Speed Test" ? Would make a great xmas present.

I wouldn't say PN are rubbish however, sub standard yes, rubbish no. But the company has an image problem at the moment and generally speaking, they are really one of the poorer providers currently in the broadband market. They won't admit to having bandwidth/pipe capacity issues just now because the CS staff can't admit it (big daddy management would probably fire them and bring someone else in who is good at bull shitting people). I also get distinct vibes that the entire management of PN is based on mushroom management.

But above all else, it's really very simple. If you don't like it here, find another provider, as said by Neil Armstrong (Head of Marketing) several months ago. But as another customer has pointed out, part of the problem with this company is by the time you've purchased your account and signed your life away to their terms and conditions, trying to leave is almost impossible without incuring even more costs. Great way to run a business (not).

I don't feel this post is constructive but it's hard to be constructive at the present time. So my only advice is to look at moving on to another provider if you aren't happy here (as I have already done).
Ben_Brown
Grafter

As I've tried to explain, the vast majority of speed issues we see at the moment are due to contention at the exchange. The BT Speedtest won't fix the problem, but it will let us know if it is contention or if something else is causing the problem and is a very important diagnostic tool.
N/A

hawkmoon - what sort of speeds do you get from http://ftp.heanet.ie?

Averaging around 205-210kbps
Ben_Brown
Grafter

hawkmoon - so that's not poor performance across all protocols, wouldn't you agree?
N/A

It also suggests it's not a BT exchange contention problem Ben, wouldn't you agree? Cool
Ben_Brown
Grafter

A BT Speedtest would confirm that, however it is unlikely in this case.
Highlighted
N/A

hawkmoon - so that's not poor performance across all protocols, wouldn't you agree?

That is one site - hardly the basis to pin proof on.

Over the last month or so, plusnet has become very eratic and on many occassions very slow to the point that I might as well be back on dial-up. I have spoken to several friends who are also on Plusnet and they too are seeing a poor service - I've tried to get them to report it or post on the forum but they won't because they don't believe anything will be done, except excuses made and passing the blame to someone else.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

It shows that you can use http fine. What exactly are you having problems with? p2p? usenet? if so there are several threads already discussing this.