cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is email down?

Trebor
Grafter

Is email down?

Haven't been able to connect all day keep getting "Unable to connect to server 127.0.0.1; the connection was refused"

Whats that all about?
12 REPLIES
N/A

Is email down?

I think your email settings have somehow changed the incoming server should be
mail.force9.net
N/A

Is email down?

Which AV product do you use? Have you recently changed your AV?

Several AV apps change the email server address to the local loopback addess (127.0.0.1) and didn't change it back when they were uninstalled.
Trebor
Grafter

Is email down?

Thanks, I'll change it back to the correct address Cheesy

I just unstalled AVG as I heard Avast which I was using wasn't very good.
N/A

Email down

:x :x :x This is unbelievable from such a company. My network was cut of for 10 dayas and F9 has failed to acknowledge this as far as there concerned its fix now the impression I get from telephone support is "i know nothing". Now me email system is down. I am exhaused from the failure in effective support! :x :x :x
Trebor
Grafter

Is email down?

changing everything back didn't do anything, now I'm getting password rejected, even though I've got no security ticked.

Email was woejking fine for 3 days after I installed AVG
N/A

Is email down?

try "system restore" to before you installed AVG.
N/A

Is email down?

Which AV product do you use? Have you recently changed your AV?
I also meant to ask, "Which email client do you use?"

Can you access web mail OK?

Assuming you can, you will need to check your email client settings as my guess is the password for your email account has been altered or deleted.

From my own Outlook settings:
Incoming email server (POP3): mail.force9.net
Outgoing email server (SMTP): relay.force9.net

Make sure that your mail account user name and password are set and you should be OK with that.
Trebor
Grafter

Is email down?

Thanks all for your replies Smiley

I'm using Thunderbird for my email.

I deleted my email account from it and added a new one in its place, every hting is working fine now Smiley
N/A

Is email down?

Good to hear that you are up and running.
Trebor
Grafter

Is email down?

One thing I did notice though, after adding a new account with mail.force9.net and relay.force9.net as the servers, after a few minutes it reverted to 127.0.0.1 again, this doesn't seem to have affected sending and recieving mail this time though.
N/A

Is email down?

I've just checked my old PC's mbx account settings. It uses AVG Free Edition and Outlook Express and the incoming server is set to mail.force9.net as I'd expect. Norton used to use local loopback. Have you ever used Norton and if so, was it completely uninstalled?

If you can be bothered, have a look at your hosts and networks files. You'll find them in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc. My hosts file has one entry - 127.0.0.1 localhost.
Trebor
Grafter

Is email down?

No, never had Norton installed.