cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is anyone having problems with plusnet CGI speed?

N/A

My site is crawling again. It did improve when the work was done on them several weeks back. It has been like this for a week or two. Is it a MySQL problem or a CGI problem as my site uses the two.

I'm on the Humbug MySQL.

To test try this:

http://cgi.steveuk.plus.com/postnuke/
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

I have to agree with you, it is really slow to open :?
Community Veteran

Hmm... mine seems fine. It seems PlusNet are experienceing lots of intermitemt problems with the CGI server(s)... let's just hope they role out the new ones soon!

Thomas
Mike_Grice
Grafter

Hmm... mine seems fine. It seems PlusNet are experienceing lots of intermitemt problems with the CGI server(s)... let's just hope they role out the new ones soon!

Thomas

Hi there,

Just to add, my space on Criticalmass seems fine as well ... if you can raise a ticket at the time of it happening then our networks department can collate data on when things like this happen and begin to investigate.
N/A

Hi Mike,

Thanks, I will raise a ticket, just wondered if it was a widespread problem.

Cheers
Ianwild
Grafter

We really need to look at this some more, so I would appreciate everyones feedback.

If it runs slow, how long does it do so for and what times of the day?

Is it running slow on every page, or just ones which need access to the MySQL servers? If MySQL is involved, what server are you rinning.

If I can get a few confirmed reports of the same problem I can raise a generic internal problem about this...
N/A

Hi Ian,

I raised a ticket for this and this was the reply:

Dear Customer
there are no current service issues with the cgi server, your space will perform in the same way as all other users space.
On occasion depending on the number of processes running on the server things can slow down, if you believe this is not the issue then please post evidence of the fault to this query, we can then forward this to our network support team for investigation

What evidence is needed apart from the fact that I have stated that it seems slow? I will try and record some times as you mention, as already stated I am on the Humbug server (See 1st post).

There is a setting in Postnuke which allows gip compression. Sometimes if I turn copression on it goes slow. I turned it off earlier and it seemed to give a speed boost.

Surely the best way to get evidence (correct me if I;m wrong) would be from your direction as surely you have ways to test speeds to websites and other technical data you have available.

regards
Steve Watkins
Ianwild
Grafter

Surely the best way to get evidence (correct me if I;m wrong) would be from your direction as surely you have ways to test speeds to websites and other technical data you have available.

Errr, nothing that is showing anything wrong... CPU loads look generally fine, there is spare memory and no problems with too much bandwidth.

This is the sort of problem we are going to need our users to help us fix. Once we have identified a pattern then we shoudl be able to sort it easily. Until then we are struggling to do much apart from keep monitoring things.
N/A

I must advise any1 using MySQL connections to disable persistant links where possible.

Petrsistant links are handy on system that only connect to a single DB, using a single username and password.

This would be on a system where, EG, phpNuke is in use, as the only site on the server, and being high load.

Having to deal with dropping existing links, just to feed a new persistant link, is where resource issues sit.

The peristant connection FAQ states that in situations, like the +net multi-host system, sesources are hogged.