Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is anyone getting speeds above 2MB?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

In the latest Broadband Platform Traffic Management - UPDATE they said
We are now investigating prioritising interactive web-browsing traffic above web-based file downloads so that browsing never slows down, but downloading large files over http may gradually slow at peak times.

Well to me it looks like they've done more than investigate and it appears http file downloads are now limited to 2MB.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
29 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Dunno if you mean just during peak or not Jelv.
I just tried a game patch from a http site which came down between 4 & 5 mbps.
N/A

Hi, off peak is fine as this demonstrates:

But it is peak times where +net are failing dismaly:

ChrisC
N/A

Off peak downloads are certainly not limited to 2mb.. yet anyway lol.

linky

[Moderator's note by James - (sallyandjames): Change image to URL as it was stretching the page.]
Community Veteran

I looks to be just peak - I've seen another post with speeds just before and after midnight that supports that view.
Community Veteran

I think you are getting confused with exchange contention.

BT may have upgraded the last hop into your house to MaxDSL, but they did not upgrade the backhaul links from the exchanges to take the extra bandwidth. This has left a significant number of exchanges with contention problems.

linky

This graph show my bandwidth measured every hour over the last 24+ hours, as you can see from about 18:00 the speed degrades as more people get home from work and use the internet. But it does not degrade below BT's magic 400Kbps, which they deem as the minimum acceptable speed for a 2M+ connection.

My connection 3.8M run with an average speed of 3.2M due to this contention.

Chilly

PS centy if you use "Alt"+"Print Sceen" it will only copy the active window Wink

[Moderator's note by James - (sallyandjames): Changed image to URL as it was stretching the page.]
N/A

Hi, my contract is still with +net, not yet with BT, thus it is +net's resposibilty not to pass the buck and sort out the issues that many of us are having.
Thing is it might be tolerable if it was just peak time connection speeds, but it isn't is it. It's e-mail, p2p etc etc etc....
ChrisC
Neil_A
Grafter

I think you are getting confused with exchange contention.

I know everyone hates it when we try and point at our suppliers but seriously BT have VERY clearly set expectations not to expect above 2Mb on their network at peak times. Quote from Zen's website "It is likely that speeds no greater than 2Mb will be achieved at peak usage times." http://www.zenbroadband.com/

(Edited for bad link)
Community Veteran

Neil,

When BTw introduce the Guaranteed and Best Effort services next year .. what is the maximum Guaranteed speed they will offer? Is it more than 2Mb or have they decided IPTV/BTVision can live at 1 to 1.5Mb?

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Community Veteran

Neil,

Could you explain why I have seen postings in this forum from users who have complained of poor speeds, been told it was exchange contention, migrated to a new ISP and found speeds have improved please.
GersFans
Grafter

Quote from Zen's website "It is likely that speeds no greater than 2Mb will be achieved at peak usage times." http://www.zenbroadband.com/

Why are we now getting quotes from another ISP's website about limitations, we are plusnet customers and care not a jot what zen are doing/saying.

Get your own house in order and less of this "look even zen are having problems and say so on their website" nonsense. :roll:
Community Veteran

Especially as has been posted elsewhere, Zen under-promise and over-deliver - most Zen users who have 8MB connections are reporting speeds rarely drop below 4000 - and some of these are on red exchanges.

I'm afraid this is just a diversionary tactic to try and point the blame elsewhere.
Community Veteran

I'm afraid this is just a diversionary tactic to try and point the blame elsewhere.

In the current climate nobody want to:

blame it on BT
realise how poor the current service is compared to other ISPs

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
kreynolds
Grafter

Can't say that I'm seeing any probs

Before 16:00

After 16:00

Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Could you explain why I have seen postings in this forum from users who have complained of poor speeds, been told it was exchange contention, migrated to a new ISP and found speeds have improved please.

The way I understand the migration process to work is that on the day of the changeover BT perform a kind of mini "cease and reprovide" on the line, as such your connection can get moved across to a different VP at the exchange which perhaps isn't as congested.

Also the ISP can change the speed of the service so move from say Home 1 or 2Mbps to Max, or even move to Max Premium which has a higher priority on BT's network or to LLU (such as movers to Sky or Talk Talk).

There's a vast number of reasons that could cause people to see different speeds on different ISPs apart from the ISP themselves.