cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Webmail really that bad?

Saturn
Grafter

On occasions I need to forward an email to my work account using Webmail because I cannot access my account in the conventional pop3 manner. So I log on to my account using Webmail, select the required message and hit the forward button, type in the destination address and send.

Then, when I receive the email at my desk it has been disassembled so that all the html is mixed up with the body of the text (i.e. <html><BR><BR>....etc). This makes it very difficult to read the actual message and most certainly makes it useless for passing on to anyone else. If I forward the email direct it similarly gets disassembled and is useless for the recipient.

Now, I'm fairly sure it didn't used to do this and I have an incling that it's intermittent now. Does anyone else experience this problem?

The CS guy who answered my ticket seems to think this is the way Web mail works!! Either that's a quality answer or someone at PN got ripped off! Either way it's useless.
6 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

Does this happen when forwarding a text email or just on HTML emails? Is it only when forwarding messages?

I just tried forwarding a couple of messages from my own account (both text and html) and that worked fine.

If you foward it to yourself and read the forwarded message in webmail does it do the same?
Saturn
Grafter

Hi Dave

Not sure about your first question and maybe that's why I have felt the problem is intermittent. Maybe it does only happen with HTML emails. I need to look more closely at this.

If I forward to myself I get the same results.
N/A

Maybe you could post the headers of an affected email? I'm thinking the Content-type header could have been messed up or altered incorrectly.
Saturn
Grafter

I just tried sending a plain and a HTML email from my work account to my PN account and then forwarded them to both accounts using Webmail. The HTML forward never got to my work account but did arrive at my PN account. I tried the HTML again, since it never got to my work account and the same thing happened again (i.e. it didn't get to my work email account. I suppose this could be due to the work firewall, but there was nothing of consequence in it and the plain mail reached there quickly. None of the emails showed any corruption so I guess this test hasn't helped.

I can't post a corrupt email because I ditched them in disgust.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Next time you get one let us know, also are you using the simple or advanced mode?

It could just one server that's doing it (there's several servers in the webmail platform) or it could that you have to do some combination (e.g. forward a HTML mail in adavnced mode from a specific server).
Saturn
Grafter

Hi Dave

It's the advanced mode.

I probably need to do a bit more homework on this one. I haven't been able to give you many clues. At least the answer is that it's supposed to work properly, so I'm better off than after my ticket answer.