cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is This Forum Moving?

iashton
Grafter

Is This Forum Moving?

Liam Martin wrote ( in another post on this forum )
There are some small niggles currently in the forum software which will disappear shortly when we migrate over to the Community Site.

The Community Site is here if you want a look http://community.plus.net/

Is this forum moving then? Are PlusNet, Force9, Free-Online and Metronet forums all to be lumped together?

Has it been decided? Do we get a vote on this? Are they all the same thing anyway under the hood?

This setup - the forums, the moderators, the posters and PlusNet staff participating is one of the best things about PlusNet IMHO. There actually is a sense of belonging and a personal touch to it all that I quite like. I think you're going to lose it in this Community Site thing.
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Is This Forum Moving?

The community site will be replacing the separate vISP forums but no 'switch over' date has been decided yet - although I suspect it will happen in the next month or so. It is another forum with the same people contributing and moderating so I can't see how the community will be lost, if anything all vISP users can now gain access which is not currently possible.

This is something that PN are doing to improve the overall forum capability by putting everyone under one roof, it is not something we as users have any say in except for the fact that many users have been asking for this to happen for many years.

When the switch over happens the current vISP forums will remain in read-only state so the information is accessible, although not via the sarch on the new forum. There is some talk about importing the forum posts into the community site but there are a lot of technical issues to resolve before that is possible - most notably dealing with usernames which are totally different on the new community site.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Is This Forum Moving?

On this point of new usernames, has any thought been given to the impact of 100's (perhaps 1,000's) of existing users trying to create new usernames in a very short time frame.
Community Veteran

Is This Forum Moving?

Apart from a few usernames, every thing will be much the same. (OK the forum software is also changing to Simple Machines)

All of the current Comms teams and Moderators will move over to the new Community forums. And we will be joined by Bill the current Metronet moderator.

Hopfully a few new faces will be thrown into the mix with customer from all of PlusNet's brands involved.

Chilly
Community Veteran

Is This Forum Moving?

Chilly,
Would you like to expand on that statement.
As I understood it the usernames couldn't be transferred because they were Visp specific and duplication was decidedly possible.
So, am I wrong, and if so will all the users who have already registered finish up with 2 usernames.
Community Veteran

Is This Forum Moving?

You will keep your existing username for your plusnet account but you will be free to use a new one if you wish for the new forum.
You could also still use your existing one if you wanted to.

For example in my case I will have johnessex as my username with Plusnet but I have selected John_Essex for the new forum.
Community Veteran

Is This Forum Moving?

John,
But if, for example, the were two users fred@plus.com and fred@f9.com what will happen. Will the software differentiate between the two users or will one of them need to change their username.
I ask this because in all the earlier discussions about consolidating the fora this was the main objection.
Community Veteran

Is This Forum Moving?

Your forum alias will not be your username as it is currently.
When you register on the forums you will get the opportunity to chose a new alias for use on the forum.
This is something that many users have asked for, as they did not realise that there username would be attached to their forum posts.

You will of course be able to chose to use the same name if you wish. But in the case of your two fred's then one will have to use a different alias.

Chilly
Community Veteran

Is This Forum Moving?

Hence my original question
On this point of new usernames, has any thought been given to the impact of 100's (perhaps 1,000's) of existing users trying to create new usernames in a very short time frame.
iashton
Grafter

Consolidation

Just tell me again. Who's benefit is this for?

I may have to change my username.

I'll need one username/password to log into PlusNet - account details, usage, help, raise tickets etc.
I'll need another username/password for the new Community Forums.
I'll need another username/password for the PlusNet user group

All very joined up. I quite like having all my PlusNet dealings in one place with one point of access.

Ho hum,
Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Is This Forum Moving?

I wonder what will happen to these forums, it would be good say to keep a read only archive so our older posts can be searched. I am sure we'll get questions asked in Community Support and it would be useful if people could search their earlier posts.
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

Is This Forum Moving?

There will be more information available early next week, I'll post it up when I have it.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

Is This Forum Moving?

We still intend to launch the community site very very soon, we'll be emailing everyone to let you know. There will also be a FEQ available on the community site to explain why and how we are doing this.

*FEQ not FAQ due to the questions not actually being asked yet
Frequently Expected Questions
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team