Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Support Phone Number Working?

craign
Grafter

Is 0845 1400200 the correct number?

and if so

is anyone else getting engaged (long tone - short tone)?

and if so is that Plusnet's Voice provider or Plusnet PBX fault?
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Is Support Phone Number Working?

is anyone else getting engaged

Yes
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

There's a service status posting gone out that says people on ADSL can't authenticate - that would explain the telephone being engaged.

I wouldn't bother trying until that fault is cleared!
Neil_A
Grafter

Hi, yes it is working but we have very high call volumes this morning asa result of some authentication errors which means very high call wait times and some customers getting engaged tones.

If you are having problems connecting it's best to wait 20-30 mins and then try again. Number of calls waiting as I type has dropped from 30-ish to 13 which is a good indication that problem is being resolved.

Sincere apologies.
craign
Grafter

Neil,

this may be obvious and you've discounted it... but to improve service to your increasing number of users, how about a call handling solution which allows for example, a status message and subsequent call drop, rather than an engaged tone?

IMHO
Neil_A
Grafter

Quite right. We've axctually bought a new phone system which will allow us to give a much better customer experience - i.e. automated call waiting time, your position in the queue etc and wll allow us to intergrate the phone system with workplace to allow better instant information on your line.

Deploying a new phone system into a call centre takes several months of planning and testing and I'd expect us to be doing this in the Summer.

Thanks, and apologies to anyone having a long wait time today.
JonathanW
Grafter

Unfortunately, this isn't currently possible as all of the available lines are being used up by people who are already coming through the phone system. You are hearing the engaged tone because there are no more available lines to accept your call and play you the message.

Though this is certianly something that we could look into moving forwards.,
Community Veteran

At times of problems a message is often put on the support line. The trouble is all the people on hold prevent others hearing the message.

Why can't you have a separate number for service status which just plays a message and then automatically disconnects you? If messages were kept to under 30 seconds (15 would probably be enough) it wouldn't need that many lines.
rammie1976
Grafter

What you mean put the service status announcements on a phone line (that is not overwhelmed by support calls!) rather than the internet to which you can't connectHuh funny idea that!
Alecto
Grafter

I'm with elvin there.
A separate number, which either says there are no problems today, or there's a big snarl up, and it saves everybody messing about with their kit trying to find the problem.

That would certainly enhance out customer telephone experience no end.

And even Tesco internet do that.

So come on Neil, get it put in.
N/A

If you want to save yourself a few bob try ringing 0114 220 0000 during the evening. From a BT line it will cost 5.5p per hour. It goes through to the same centre.
N/A

How about an SMS text alert for service status info?

Cheaper than employing loads more CS staff, and would reduce the amount of people calling just to find out what the service status is.
N/A

How about an SMS text alert for service status info?

Cheaper than employing loads more CS staff, and would reduce the amount of people calling just to find out what the service status is.

To cut costs, why not just have a local rate number giving service status information. Would need updating throughout the day but there is no reason to waste staff resources giving out service staus information that can be provided on an information line.

Also a text based system would cost a lot of money to run. Even buying in mass from a network provider or a company like clickatell would eat in to any profits.
craign
Grafter

At times of problems a message is often put on the support line. The trouble is all the people on hold prevent others hearing the message.

Technology exists to do this without a seperate phone number. For example, a status of 'too many calls to handle' on the Plusnet call handling system can trigger a message and call drop. Many call handling providers offer this 'no engaged tone' service. It does not necessarily handle problems futher up the line, eg in a BT exchange... remember the old free Concorde flight offer where the BT voice network was giving engaged tones far before the call got anywhere near the call handler.

So come on Neil, get it put in.

Bearing in mind all the other stuff they're working on, Metronet etc, and based on experience with PBX, IVRs and call handling procdures; I'd hope that quality is not sacrificed for speed in this particular project. Smiley
Alecto
Grafter

I'd hope that quality is not sacrificed for speed in this particular project. Smiley

It's always an easy get out to say that they're working on something more important. I can't believe that putting this facility in will take more than half an hour of anybody's time.

And it requires a different skill set from the other stuff they're doing, so shouldn't interfere at all.