cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Plusnet turning into NTL?

N/A

I left NTL over a year ago because of their appalling customer service.

Oh dear. The ghost of the worst telecoms company in history seems to have come back to haunt me in the guise of Plusnet and its "support".

My Plusnet broadband premier service went down on Thursday night. On Friday morning, I tried to speask to a real person about it but got no joy.

So I went through the tortuous process of leaving a summary of the problem by answering all of the Stalinist Diktat-style questions with no prompts at the end of a twenty minute automated phone call. Of course, I was not at all intimidated by the veiled recorded threats about what might happen if I provided the "wrong" information.

Having the strong suspicion that I was speaking into a broken answerphone in some remote and abandoned gulag, I then managed to cobble together a dial-up connection with my old modem. I went through all of the initial automated tests, entered my contact info and presed the button to start further tests.

But each time I went to the "My Questions" page to check on progress, I was asked (again) for contact information. 36 hours later there was still no response or sign of any progress.

I finally got to speak to a real human being who told me they were waiting for me to enter the contact information I'd put in five times!

I've been very happy with Plusnet up until now, but the changes to Tech support for what is a premium product (£24.99 a month) is, not to put too fine a point on it, completely awful.

Despite all the fine words plastered on banners about customer satisfaction surveys, I judge a service provider by what they do, not what they say. In this case, that is diddly squat and seems to demonstrate a complete absence of customer care (unloess that means they have the customer's money and now they don't care)

Even though this is as almost bad as anything I experienced with NTL, I could never go back there.

Howevert, despite their really irritating adverts with the "modern" stuck-together family, BT is starting to an look attractive bet.
11 REPLIES
N/A

The contact information page will not accept your contact details if you include space characters in the telephone numbers. I discovered this by trial and error. A simple message on the page to tell you that spaces are not allowed in telephone numbers would be very helpful.
Community Veteran

Re: Is Plusnet turning into NTL?

I've been very happy with Plusnet up until now, but the changes to Tech support for what is a premium product (£24.99 a month) is, not to put too fine a point on it, completely awful.

That says it all Sad

Plusnet you have started to listen to your customers again by introducing the 0800 free dial up for use when a customers ADSL conection is down but you still need to turn the volume up a bit more and catch the message that is being echoed all across these forums. People want, and need, to speak to a human
Automated systems may seem to be cost effective and no doubt your accountants are rubbing there hands with glee at thinking they are saving you money.
But it's really a false economy and I have seen so much dissatisfation on these forums with the new system that surely you can realise that it just isn't the right way ahead.

Please, Please, Please, Listen a bit harder and make it easier to talk to someone when a customer has a problem.
N/A

It is sad.

I've been a happy customer of plus net since broadband came along, i've been patient and content through the 2Mb upgrade process and now the MAX upgrade process... but having a non existent customer service is really poor.

If its about cost then I personally would MUCH prefer to have an outsourced Indian call centre or something - many companies go down that route and I think its a good thing, generally you get to speak to qualified, knowledgable and polite people. Better than the call centre monkeys that NTL employ, which in turn is better than plus nets call centre - if they have one? I dont know, i've never got through...!!!

Here's another MAC code seeker, soon to be broadbanding elsewhere...
N/A

Same here. Am gradually getting more and more fed up. Infact even NThelL didnt't manage to delete important emails, kill my webspace and take days to fix it (if at all).

Have started looking for another ISP. This is not good enough.
glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Well said, I agree 100%

That says it all Sad

Plusnet you have started to listen to your customers again by introducing the 0800 free dial up for use when a customers ADSL conection is down but you still need to turn the volume up a bit more and catch the message that is being echoed all across these forums. People want, and need, to speak to a human
Automated systems may seem to be cost effective and no doubt your accountants are rubbing there hands with glee at thinking they are saving you money.
But it's really a false economy and I have seen so much dissatisfation on these forums with the new system that surely you can realise that it just isn't the right way ahead.

Please, Please, Please, Listen a bit harder and make it easier to talk to someone when a customer has a problem.
N/A

NThelL is going to be re-branded under the Virgin name next year, after the recent deal with Virgin Mobile.

Shame really, for the Virgin brand that is. Most companies using the Virgin brand provide good customer service, but there are some that really really don't and this lets down their name.

I have to say, with the bad experience I had a few months ago with the customer service of Virgin Mobile, Virgin Mobile and NTL make good partners when it comes to this.

Virgin.net used to be a good ISP until NTL took them over.
N/A

oh no, dejavu and doubletake

I too left NTL to join plusnet after a row (the buggers took money off my credit card without authorisation about 20 months after I had cancelled an older service), and have now just left plusnet (after a CS housemove fiasco) to join Virgin.net. Please, please dont tell me Virgin.net is NTL under the hood. Cry
N/A

I thought Virgin and NTL was the same people to be honest.
N/A

Virgin.net is wholly owned by NTL, and has been for a long time. Virgin Mobile and NTL have recently come together as well. Next year sees a rebranding of NTL/Telewest cable service to Virgin and the first "fourway service" involving broadband, tv, phone, and mobile phone.

So yes, Virgin.net is most definitely NTL!
N/A

Says clearly on this page of the Virgin.net website that they're wholly owned by NTL.
N/A

I agree; it's false economy to replace the system that was working ok with one that irritates the majority of customers.