cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Plusnet Throttling P2P on premiere

N/A

These last 3 weeks my P2P has virtualy come to a halt. All other activity is great but Limewire and Bittorent is like using dial up. I thought the Premier service was good for p2p. If they are throttling it, what is the point paying the more expensive rate, Our money would be better spent on the basic 14.99 account. i have done speed tests but these are ok all ican think is that P2P is being throttled for everyone. Whats every one else think?
13 REPLIES
Zathras
Grafter

Yes they are.
N/A

Limewire is usless most of the time. Try about 5am-7am. Thats the only time it worked ok for me.
N/A

when i take my laptop to girlfriends , shes on talktalk and its all virtually free with her phone bill,Here i get better p2p. At my house my p2p doesnt move but at hers it motors. i pay 21.99 for my connection at plusnet, and the blurb says for serious internet addicts, thats me. Plusnet you have the throttling set all wrong your choking the system give us back some bandwidth for peer to peer. Is this just a temporary thing or is your service permanently going to be this badly throttled. Thinking of getting my phone and everything from one supplier but seriously thinking of jumping ship to Talktalk. Dont want to get tied in to something thats going to be this bad.
N/A

The graphs here shows how much p2p is throttled. From 10am to about 1 am p2p is not worth using. Thats why i am moving. I should be gone by Thursday Smiley
N/A

I've noticed some serious throtling of P2P lately. Generally since joining it has been superb in the day during off-peak times (seeders/peers permitting) but lately it is very, very slow.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

P2P and binary usenet traffic gets a lower priority on the network on Premier than interactive traffic like web browsing. That means that as the network gets busier as more people are using their connections P2P and Usenet speeds will decrease. At the moment some customers are seeing lower speeds on P2P and Usenet on Premier than we would expect during the day and at peal times.

The best advice I can give at the moment is to schedule downloads overnight when there's very little interactive traffic on the network so all that bandwidth can be used by P2P and Usenet or to switch over to PAYG as that gives a higher priority to P2P.
N/A

They must have forgotten to flick the switch yesterday as I was downloading a Torrent at @300kb/s!! I could not believe my eyes, back to normal today though @14kb/s Sad

I would like to move too as quite honestly p2p and Usenet are almost impossible to use now but I have my doubts that it will be much better elsewhere.
sinewave
Grafter

Plusnet know that p2p is essentially unusable for the majority on Premier.

Plusnet know their network is currently over-stretched.

Plusnet are getting more capacity in March (I think).

What I want to know is...

Can Plusnet ~absolutely guarantee~ that p2p on Premier will be "usable" after the extra capacity has been activated?

By "usable" I mean usable. It is not usable is you have to download between 5 and 7am. It is not usable if the speeds are being throttled by over 95%. I am sure that Plusnet know what most of their customers mean by "usable".
serenityvalley
Grafter

This is really strange, but ever since the problem with the line card on Friday, I've seen reliable binary news speeds (as far as my 2MB connection can go) on both the PTN gateways, at all times of the day.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Can Plusnet ~absolutely guarantee~ that p2p on Premier will be "usable" after the extra capacity has been activated?

By "usable" I mean usable. It is not usable is you have to download between 5 and 7am. It is not usable if the speeds are being throttled by over 95%. I am sure that Plusnet know what most of their customers mean by "usable".

I'm not Vince McMahon so I'm not going to be making any gurantees, but what I will say is that speeds on P2P at peak times are lower on Premier than we would expect them to be so as each of the three things we are doing to resolve this (working on the management, adding extra capacity and starting the RIN trial) will all make a difference and will improve the performance.

Performance of P2P Premier though is very much determined by the amount of higher priority traffic on the network. Which means that off peak and overnight in particular will provide better speeds than peak. The PAYG product is the best product if you want the fastest speed on anything regardless of the time.

Ultimately the intention is to get to a situation where a customer can set their own priorities on their traffic so if you want top priority P2P at peak then there will be an option that lets you do that. To get there we need to firstly get off of IPStream and on to Wholesale Broadband Connect and continue the development of our traffic management to build this kind of control.

Until then we live in the IPStream world with fixed costs behind them but with increasing usage as we enter the world of web 2.0, video on demand and VoIP. Something has to give in this world because it isn't possible to continue to provide an increasing level of service without it costing more when the costs are fixed as they are. So when things go wrong and you can no longer run on Plan A (everything normal) you have to switch to Plan B and make tough choices about what and who gets affected whilst the work to fix the problem is done.

As I say in this case there are three things happening, we're working on the traffic management, we're preparing to trial RIN and the new capacity is on the way, but none of these are an overnight fix unfortunately, hence the Plan B.
sinewave
Grafter

I think the thing that grinds is that Premier used to be the "do everything" account. But now that is PAYG.

I suspect that if I transfer to PAYG I will end up spending less as I am not an extreme downloader. I will be getting a better service at a reduced price. I will get access to more bandwidth for less money. It is not about bandwidth. It is not about IPStream problems etc etc. Its about what plusnet have decided regarding traffic management, and who gets what and when.

I know its all about internet usage stats, balancing that against this etc. I admit to guessing here but I bet if everyone on Premier moved over to PAYG PN would see their total revenue reduce and at the same time the network would be over used at peak times. The result is that we're back to square one and ~every one~ would have p2p throttle issues.

PN are living in hope that that doesn't happen I guess.

Considering the train analogy. more carriages are supplied to cope with rush hour but then its too expensive and over provisioned for the rest of the day so a compromise is reached. If folk are suffocating due to over-crowding at rush hour the compromise is not a good one - not enough carriages! I believe this is what is happening with PN when Premier has to be crippled so much. My question is simply, will the extra "carriages" coming in March(?) prevent me from suffocating on Premier?

Will all this work you are doing, once completed, be actually noticed by Premier users as a significant improvement? Once the work is done, will I be able to download a common 3min chart topping MP3 track at 9pm within an hour?

My usage of p2p has always been minimal - even when it worked - but its a useful thing to dip into sometimes. I would like to have the facility.

Do I go over to PAYG now or wait a few weeks or the magic fix?
z0mb13e
Grafter

Was going to post a long reply about being with plusnet and f9 since the kflex days and how disapointed I am blah blah blah, but its taken me all evening to trawl thru all the posts on my randomly slow/glitchy premier account (which I though was the premier account for internet usage - with pay as you go the poor cousin) but now I'm fed up and tired - going to bed...

Before I go, I was just wondering what plusnet can make a meal of next? Fixed rate dial up anyone remember that, FRIACO? Slow and painful adsl provision, Some silly tit deleting 700GB of email? Anyone fancy running a sweepstake? zzzzz zzzzzz
bobbygeorge
Grafter

Plusnet know that p2p is essentially unusable for the majority on Premier.

Plusnet know their network is currently over-stretched.

agreed,

plusnet's reputation is now suffering terribly,

When you look at external sources the 'plusnet' brand is now an example of what other isp's use as a point of reference when quoting what P2P/Usenet speeds their service will provide against what plusnet provide.

hmm, example ..

I am currently downloading a torrent (on BB Premier) with 240 seeds/ 120 peers and am achieving a speed of 1.5 KB/s. This is 12.30 am for gods sake, others are recieving the same torrent at over 850 KB/s.

need I say more :roll:

disgraceful ..