cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Plusnet Bad for VOIP?

pcorker
Grafter

Is Plusnet Bad for VOIP?

Using Skype or MSN for voice, sometimes it is perfect, sometimes it is unusable for several hours due to stuttering (not me!) or delay (very confusing!)

On these occasions my "send packet loss" (by Skype stats)is high.
I have not yet discerned a time pattern for this. I am using a modem on PAYG

Is this likely to be due to Plusnet's "shaping"
Will I be likely to solve this by changing ISP? Are any recommended for VOIP? I would like a reliable connection - speed is not important. Would power-cycling the modem help? (It's very time-consuming to try out stuff!)

My exchange is on red. I am not aware of any other difficulties besides the voice problem (not a gamer)

Has anyone had/solved similar problems?
12 REPLIES
James
Grafter

Is Plusnet Bad for VOIP?

I seem to recall something about Skype being tagged as P2P because of some of the ways that it can be used.

I will check this though.
James
Grafter

Is Plusnet Bad for VOIP?

Nope, Skype has it's own signature and should be treated as Titanium traffic along with other VoIP.
Community Veteran

Is Plusnet Bad for VOIP?

A friend of mine whos also on a plusnet (free-online) connection uses Skype a lot to talk to relatives in South Africa.
He tells me that its always a fantastic clear signal "Just like They are Next door"
I suspect that your exchange being red may have some bearing on the problem you are seeing.

Note by Comms Agent (James). Text edited to edit unacceptable spelling of ISP Tongue
pcorker
Grafter

Is Plusnet Bad for VOIP?

Thanks guys!
(Seeing as it's you, johnessex I'll presume that you are not being snide with "pusnet" and that it was a typo!)
Community Veteran

Is Plusnet Bad for VOIP?

Erm yep a typo Shockedops: (though I can think of some that would think it wasn't :? )
N/A

Re: Is Plusnet Bad for VOIP?

I have had exact same problems and have done for months. I even bought a new router hoping that would help but no. My exchange is also on red at present but I have had the same problem when it is on green.

So no answer, just a fellow sufferer...
N/A

Is Plusnet Bad for VOIP?

I make a lot of use of VOIP - and apart from early problems (I found reducing the call quality to 60k/sec sorted those) I have had no issues. it "just works" Wink
pcorker
Grafter

Is Plusnet Bad for VOIP?

johnessex

I realise this may be a bit cheeky to ask (and perhaps difficult or imposible to do..) but could you tell me which Skype version your friend is using?
Community Veteran

Is Plusnet Bad for VOIP?

Version 2.0.0.107 (or he was) but I beleive there is now an updated version available.
pcorker
Grafter

Is Plusnet Bad for VOIP?

Thanks,
(I'm probably grasping at straws - I've seen comments that the latest versions are problematical but that is probably a reaction to most new versions of anything!)
N/A

Is Plusnet Bad for VOIP?

I had Vonage for a couple of months but gave up in the end... Whether it was PlusNet or Vonage at fault god knows.
N/A

Re: Is Plusnet Bad for VOIP?

I have had exact same problems and have done for months

Just to say I saw this anouncement:

http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1168454329.htm

and I had an 1.5 skype conversion to the Netherlands last night with no problems for a change. Maybe a fluke but I hope not Wink