cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is PlusNet broadband defunct??

N/A

I have removed my ADSL modem, reinstalled (several times) but still I get this 721 error that the server is not responding. (I have had to reinstall my dialup to get online to type this message)

My modem diagnostics says the modem is OK. It also flashes at me when it tries to establish contact. Plus net must be OK as the dialup is working So is BT/broadband at fault? Or my setup??

Tried to phone PlusNet, but gave up after ten minutes waiting. Wonder if I will get any reply to support ticket (Never have done on the two times I've used it before!)
7 REPLIES
Ben_Brown
Grafter

This sort of error is normally related to the modem drivers.

Have you tried reinstalling them at all?
N/A

really, do I have to take that medal off you! He has said he has in his post!
N/A

hello, is it a speedtouch by any chance? I had one of those for 2 years from my last ISP and the modem totally died.

Yours could be on its way out. Mine just flashed all the time, I reinstalled drivers etc tried it on another computer and it did the same. Then no lights at all.

The modem is very poor as it doesnt last long at all (2 years isnt long imo)

Using an internal speed touch now I got for a tenner Tongue Will be getting a linksys adsl 2 modem soon... eithernet AND usb. Good for 40 quid.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Sorry, didn't notice that.

Do any of the test logins work?

bt_test_user@plusdsl.net
bt_test@startup_domain

use "test" as the password, or leave it blank.
N/A

really, do I have to take that medal off you! He has said he has in his post!

roflmao

see Ben was quick to offer more advice - he doesn't want to lose it
N/A

Horses for courses

pegasusvideo, there's a limited amount of power available on the USB bus, and ADSL modems have been found guilty many times for "browning out" the bus and losing synch.

May I suggest you get
    a router,
    an Ethernet NIC (that's a network interface card) if your system hasn't got a built in NIC,
    and a network cable?
Not that expensive, I use a Netgear DG834 (with supplied LAN cable) and an old branded 10/100 NIC. No more driver problems unless the NIC drivers are equally as problematic.

Why use a router instead of a USB modem? Same reason that a serial port analog modem is a better bet than a USB model. The USB modem requires some of the operating system resources to run it, some of the USB bus power (that may be in short supply from the system's Power Supply Unit (PSU)), and may even use the CPU to do much of the processing. A device that does more of its own processing leaves your computer resources available for applications. As a router is, in effect, a standalone computer dedicated to running a modem, Local Area Network, Network Address Translation and firewall, you get more of your actual computer system available to do what you want to do.

This is a long way of saying "stop faffing around with modems and get a router"!
N/A

Whoops

I'd downloaded a driver off a site (2346wXP) but it turned out the VCI was set to 36. (and with that driver, I couldn't access config either)

I then downloaded another (2346_XP) and that had drivers set to 38, and all is well with the World!!

Someone also asked what modem type: It's a ALCATEL PC, which is the PCI card type.

Thans to one and all for comments.