cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is PN causing my Limewire Problem?

N/A

I recently (last week or so) have found a strange problem. If I run Limewire my entire internet connection goes down. That is everything, web, email, the lot. The lights on my router don't indicate anything is wrong but everything just stops.

It doesn't stop as soon as I open the program, it can take a few minutes but the connection will eventually drop. The only way I've found to solve the problem is reset the router, but if I keep Limewire open the connection will drop again. As soon as I close Limewire everything is fine again.

The question is then, is this being caused by something PN is doing with its traffic shaping not working right on my account or is it a software problem with Limewire.

I have tried a couple of other P2P programs and so far only Limewire seems to cause a problem, but I thought I'd just ask as it used to work fine and I haven't changed any of the settings or anything.

Can anyone shead any light on this?

Thanks
16 REPLIES
N/A

Try re-installing Limewire and make sure you only have Limewire open and no other P2P programs.

It sounds like more of a conflict than a forced reset by PlusNet.
N/A

Thanks. I'll try that.
N/A

V4.9.28, works fine here, just tried it today.
N/A

Don't know what version I'm on off the top of my head. I'll make sure I have the latest.

Thanks
ChrisR
Grafter

Limewire lags a lot for me too.
N/A

ahh

Are you runnning XP SP2 ?

If you are you might be hitting the 10 unconnected IP limit thingy..
fidgetingferdie
Grafter

Re: Is PN causing my Limewire Problem?

I recently (last week or so) have found a strange problem. If I run Limewire my entire internet connection goes down. That is everything, web, email, the lot. The lights on my router don't indicate anything is wrong but everything just stops.

Hello,

I am experiencing the same problem.

I thought it was due to the “stealth” setting on my router, so I tried altering those, as well as the tools>option>advanced>firewall config>Router Configuration Options, tried all 3 in there but the connection keeps choking.

Can I ask you if you had any chance to rectify the situation? And if so, would you mind share this information?
Also, if anyone has any other idea I would really appreciate any input.

Set up:
Mandriva 2005 LE
Limewire 4.9.37 (Java 1.5.0_4) RPM on company site
Solwise SAR110

Thanks.
Community Veteran

@bates1

Name and shame your router, and its firmware version.

This could be a problem with your router, have you check for a later version of firmware?

Chilly
N/A

Limewire working fine here...... downloading as I type
N/A

I got Limewire pro and Azureus Running at the same time with no problem at all.
fidgetingferdie
Grafter

@bates1

Name and shame your router, and its firmware version.

This could be a problem with your router, have you check for a later version of firmware?

Chilly

Umm... I got the suspicion you may be right.

Just for record the connection went kamikaze one more time while I was typing. I tried pinging the router and got no response, which is unusual, considering that I can ping it happily even when there is a problem with the connection.

The firmware on this relict is the one it came with, I have never felt the need to upgrade, and I don't really know if being able to run Limewire is reason enough to potentially “paperweight-ise” the router.

I was thinking of using LW to download images of buildings I could use as starting points for modelling in Blender, I suppose that Google will have to do instead.
fidgetingferdie
Grafter

To sunhouse and morpheus124,

May I ask what OS/router/LW version you are using?
N/A

May I ask what OS/router/LW version you are using?

OS=Mac OS 10.3.9
Router=D-Link DI-614+
Modem=D-Link DSL-300T
Limewire v4.9 (not Pro version)
fidgetingferdie
Grafter

Chilly,

An O/T question.

My “dmesg” shows a lot of “eth0: freeing mc frame.” messages.

I have researched the message and I am pretty sure that it has to do with the network adapter module the kernel is using.

The card is a HP NetServer 10/100TX and the module used is eepro100 whilst, according to what I have read, it should be e100.

Do you know of any “noob” reference on how to install and un-install a kernel module or this one in particular?
I have not yet found a tutorial which makes any sense, and, as things seem to work regardless of the message error, I don't want to mess things up too badly.

Thanks.