cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is P2P throttled?

N/A

Is P2P throttled?

Hi,

Im a light user, but because I like to download a few songs without having to wait until the end of time, I chose to upgrade to Premier 10 days ago. Sure enough my P2P speed jumped up to 200K but now I cant get any more than 15 K again. I'm talking about these speeds being off peak times as well.

Is P2P being throttled even on premier? If it is, will someone tell me why I have upgraded, cos in that case I wouldnt see a good reason. Cry
40 REPLIES
Saturn
Grafter

Is P2P throttled?

Check your connection settings in the Member Centre (My Account>Connection Settings>Surf). Maybe you have Surf set to restricted.
Community Veteran

Is P2P throttled?

p2p is throttled on premier but not my as much as you are reporting you should only see a maximum of 10% reduction when everything is normal on the network. It may be worth checking with CS that they haven't put you back on the BB+ profile for some reason as this used to happen every now and then.
N/A

Is P2P throttled?

For me P2P (on premier) seems to be hard capped to 32K/sec download, doesn't matter what time of day in fact it goes a lot slower than that during peak times. I thought there were no hard caps, just shaping depending on what was happening on the whole network? Thats a limit of nearly 90%. seems a lot of people are coming up with that same number from reading the recent threads.
channel
Grafter

Is P2P throttled?

Is P2P throttled?

Do bears poo in the woods?
N/A

Is P2P throttled?

Yeahhhhhhhh, its all capped,we're only supposed to use 2mb connection for surfing and retrieving emails you know............. Oh and for using VOIP. lmfao
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Is P2P throttled?

The problem with p2p is that the speeds you get on p2p can be changed dramatically by many different factors.

My personal account is a Staff account, which is shaped to a greater extent than the Premier account, however I am still able to achieve speeds in excess of 200kB/s using bittorrent as long as the torrent is good.

If you can try using torrents from a private tracker that forces memebers to upload at least as much as they download, as public torrents will rarely perform well.
N/A

Is P2P throttled?

My personal account is a Staff account, which is shaped to a greater extent than the Premier account, however I am still able to achieve speeds in excess of 200kB/s using bittorrent as long as the torrent is good

Yeh what time was that at though? 1am? Wink Why is it whenever this issue comes up, the alledged staff shaped accounts always achieve better speeds than any1 else on a Premier account?? It's common knowledge that we can't get more than 30-100KB/s at peak time, regardless of how good the torrent is. 200+KB/s is dreamland.

Did of any of those users who asked to try a staff account profile on the AG forums see any improvement?
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Is P2P throttled?

At peak time it is a little slower, but TBH I do most of my torrent downloading overnight so It makes little difference to me if it takes one hour or seven hours to download.
N/A

Is P2P throttled?

Well there you go, please could you test these good torrents at peaktime? As the main issue is there is not a small decrease in speed, its more like a 80-90% decrease. But I'm sure you are aware of this.
N/A

Is P2P throttled?

What about other apps apart from torrent? I use emule quite a lot and just can't get above 32k apart from the odd spike (of a second or so) but thats probably just a calculation error. I've even run emule on one pc and amule (the linux client on another) and their combined speeds wouldn't go above 32k (emule speed dropped as soon as amule started to download). I've even got a few people to force their upload to come to me and still don't get over 32k, so......

At first I thought it was my fault but having checked every part of my systems, reverted any changes I made last week there is no difference and the start of the problem coincided with the recent changes to the ellacoya system.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Is P2P throttled?

When I've tried at peak times recently it has slowed a little, but nothing dramatic. It depends on the torrents I'm using. If I remember I'll try some when I get home tonight and report back tommorrow.
N/A

Is P2P throttled?

What about other apps apart from torrent? I use emule quite a lot

Hi, its any app that falls under the P2P bracket that is shaped into their bronze queue. So any file sharing type app will be affected.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Is P2P throttled?

Any p2p app, regardless of the port it uses etc will be placed in the bronze queue.
N/A

Is P2P throttled?

The problem with p2p is that the speeds you get on p2p can be changed dramatically by many different factors.

My personal account is a Staff account, which is shaped to a greater extent than the Premier account, however I am still able to achieve speeds in excess of 200kB/s using bittorrent as long as the torrent is good.

If you can try using torrents from a private tracker that forces memebers to upload at least as much as they download, as public torrents will rarely perform well.

I do understand that speeds can vary depending on the source its uploaded from and the torrent used. I use Limewire, which has always been a reliable source for me, with respectable speeds in excess of 100k, when I was with another ISP. Part of my arguement is why was my speed good only for the first 3 days? only to slow down so much.

Lets suppose it is Limewire. What other source can you reccomend Mr bbrown?