cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is P2P available on PAYG?

passer
Grafter

I have a friend on the BB+ product, which suits him just fine at the moment. He's a very light user, and is blissfully unaware of product limits, as he never approaches them. His daughter wishes to do some P2P, and he's asked me whether he should change from BB+. Well, with all the changes over the last few months, I confess I'm not sure.

This won't be a heavy P2P usage, and will be very intermittent. We aren't talking mass importation of movies here - just the odd bit of music. From a volume perspective, I reckon that PAYG would be best, as I suspect that the interest will wane fairly quickly, and she'll grow out of it....as they do. My query is whether P2P will:

a) work at all on BB+
b) be throttled back if it's used.

Also, would there be a charge to move from BB+ to PAYG?

Any advice will be appreciated.
Thanks.
7 REPLIES
Highlighted
N/A

BB+ is heavily throttled for use of p2p, but it does work to a fashion.

I would say no there shouldn't be a charge because according to this -

Changing to a product with a higher monthly subscription price than your existing product is normally free, unless a BT product change is required.
Changing to a product with a lower monthly subscription usually includes a one-off fee.
Changing to a product with the same monthly subscription may include a one-off fee - this depends on your existing product and the product you are changing to.
The monthly subscription of Broadband Pay As You Go and Broadband Home Lite products includes pre-paid data transfer, e.g. £14.99 (base monthly subscription) + £2 (pre-paid data transfer) = £16.99 (monthly subscription).

You would be moving to a product that would have a higher monthly fee £14.99 + £2

But they may say that doesn't count and charge you anyway.
N/A

I am on BB+ and to be honest p2p just doesn't seem to work at all for me , peak time or off peak . I have a son who ,15 yrs old , tries to download music files but he says it's just not worth it and goes round to a mates house and they do their thing from there.
Community Veteran

I'm on payg. p2p works fine for me, although I havent used it for about 3 months.

Chris
N/A

P2P and Usenet is throttled 24 x 7 on BB+, although less heavily off peak. PlusNet have not publicised the rate limits being applied though.

P2P will work fine on PAYG, and is not throttled at all on this product, but it would be advisable to use the data transfer watch facility to prevent any unexpected surprises when the next bill arrives!

Tim
passer
Grafter

Thanks for the replies Smiley

I shall recommend that he changes to PAYG, as that would seem the most appropriate to his requirements.

Cheers, all.
N/A

Hmmm...Sounds like my Premier 2Mb account is currently being treated as a BB+ account.
N/A

It appears that P2P doesnt work on ANY plus accounts (inc premier), neither does FTP, Usenet, VPN and alot of the time HTTP.

The service is now a joke !!!