Is It Fair

Please answer honestly to the above questions

regards
mike
17 REPLIES
ukbrown
Grafter

Fairness

IF F9 had told us all the policy was being introduced then it is fair.
If F9 had introduced it and sent out warning e-mails instead of imposing limits then it would be fair.

They have done neither, it is just a joke.

I thought the FUP was great, announced with a huge fanfare then it just disappeared, then we had contention, this was announced as well. then we had SUP, Stealth User P*&&£ng off scheme, only mentioned when you go over the limit and have a cap forced on you, no warnings, noting, zip

They cannot provide peak time stats and tell you to monitor it youself, JOKE

F9, home of the humourless comedians
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Is It Fair

Is it fair for a small group of customers to continually use their connections in a way that impacts on other customer's connections?

I don't think it is.

With the SUP we have made it very clear to our customers what we consider to be appropriate levels of usage for the packages we offer. The vast majority of our customers will never need to even know about as they will never use anything like the levels of usage detailed in the SUP.

In order for us to make sure that the majority of our customers can use the services they want to use even at busy times we need to make sure we manage our network properly and ensure that no-one is using a disproportionate amount of the capacity that everyone has to share.
ukbrown
Grafter

Is It Fair

Totally agree. We all want the best service for the best price. I voted accordingly.

If F9 were upfront about the changes actually e-mailed the affected people without sending draconian e-mails and then speed limiting their account, no one would have any cause to complain.

As it is you have teed me off, I have made several referrals on the basis of good service and F9 being up front and honest.

Someone high up needs to say, "we screwed up, we have no idea what we were doing with this SUP policy, it was rubbish", then mail the high bandwidth users of your ntentions. Give them a month to change if they don't kick them out or take the prescribed action in the SUP.

Get your act together, remove limitations on peoples accounts, give them a month to conform and then take the action.

Reading between the lines though it would appear that you want to make as many high bandwidth users leave f9 as possible. No one in any of the posts so far has acknowledged the stupisity of having a peak time limit when the user cannot see how much he has used.
N/A

Is It Fair

Ben,

it's the way it's been introduced and handled by F9 that is the problem. I have no problem with the SUP as long as it is handled and monitored correctly.

I think that 100gb a month is more than ample for me, but I can't tell what I've used peak-time and what I've used off-peak. This is the actual issue, you ask us to monitor our usage, but how can we if you don't have the facility it place yet for us to check.

Yes, there are many programs out there that can monitor network activity, I for one use Konfabulator with the 'Network Bandwidth Widget', but that only shows my activity from my pc.

I like a few of the other users have a network at home, so the network monitors are no good, as they also monitor traffic across network to your local pc's, and as one pc is used for streaming mp3 tracks to 2 other pc's and an iplayer (freeview box), the bandwidth on this is also included, so the network monitor is no good.

So please sort out the 'View My Usage' pages ASAP.

regards
mike
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Is It Fair

The new VMBU tool is a high priority project and we are hoping to make it available as soon as possible. We know it's not ideal at the moment but that should soon be cleared up.
N/A

Is It Fair

why can't f9 be a bit lax on SUP until the VMU is actually up and running.

ie send customers the mail that they have gone over the limit, and that you will be monitoring them, and if they continue to use excessive bandwidth then advise them you are going to throttle them, instead of actually doing it straigth away.

once the VMU is oeprational then enforce the SUP properly, as customers would be able to monitor their own usage.

Is there a way that a customer can monitor the usage using an RSS feed, instead of actually having to log through the portal, then checking everything as even doing this uses part of your bandwidth.

Is the information stored anywhere for us to have access as an xml page or something.

regards
mike
ukbrown
Grafter

Is It Fair

woodviews,

exactly.
N/A

Is It Fair

I must admit, i have to argee with most people on here, that the SUP was not brought in a great way.

I voted Yes - Becuase i want a fair and balanced service for all, if you are over the limit by miles, then yes, place limits on the connection, or make the customer upgrade to a higher package.

However, if the customer is only over, lets say, by 2/3 gb, then a email or phone call could be made to the customer.
ukbrown
Grafter

Is It Fair

I voted yes as well.

If there is a clearly defined rule and users have the opputunity to change theior usage patterns before or while it is in effect all well and good.

That is what the SUP guidelines say. F9 have altered the speed of my account for a first time offence. The first time they told me about it they have capped my account.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Is It Fair

If it's the first time you can raise a ticket and we can remove the management.
N/A

Is It Fair

mine was the first vote of course,

and yes, i did say yes as long as it was fair and implemented correctly.

like i've said in other posts, i don't think i would ever use 100gb in a month, but i may 30gb+, but I want to know what was used off-peak against peak
so i can monitor my usage and adjust where need be..

regards
mike
ukbrown
Grafter

Is It Fair

I have asked to have the restriction lifted and now F9 want to know what action I will take to remedy the situation

I can only think of one answer maybe somone at F9 has an alternative.

I will simply download less, is there another answer.
N/A

Is It Fair

I can only think of one answer maybe somone at F9 has an alternative.

I will simply download less, is there another answer.

I think what they really want to hear is the magic words "I promise not to ever use p2p or usenet ever again, the evil protocols of the internet"

or better still: "I promise to pay you all this money and never use the service, maybe download a few text emails once a week"... they'd love that :-) - that's the usage profile of their favorite customers!
N/A

Is It Fair

Is it fair for a small group of customers to continually use their connections in a way that impacts on other customer's connections?

Is it fair that F9 penalise a larger group of customers with low/ modest (myself, never more than 2.5gb in a month) usage in as savage a way as the big boys? Those of us who would NEVER get anywhere near the SUP usage, even on + accounts have been treated unfairly and with complete contempt.

I don't think it is.

I dpn't think it is right either, but for different reasons.

In order for us to make sure that the majority of our customers can use the services they want to use even at busy times we need to make sure we manage our network properly and ensure that no-one is using a disproportionate amount of the capacity that everyone has to share.

But you haven't/ didn't. You just threw everyone/ everything into the "bronze" queue and let us stew for a week before doing anything about it.

Mark