cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is F9/plusnet a bid target?

N/A

Did anyone see this

LONDON (Reuters) - Shares in telecoms provider PlusNet rose more than 4 percent on Thursday, lifted by speculation that a UK rival may be eyeing a takeover shortly, dealers said.

Dealers reported speculation that Pipex (PXC.L: Quote, Profile, Research) was a possible predator, while one dealer cited Carphone Warehouse (CPW.L: Quote, Profile, Research) as another.

Click here for the full text
7 REPLIES
N/A

:lol:
N/A

J,

How about Tiscarli all that LLU & partnering makes me wonder??

Ivan
N/A

J,

How about Tiscarli all that LLU & partnering makes me wonder??

Ivan

Thats what i was thinking! I'am i wee bit suprised plusnet's not be bought over sooner.

What i dont get is regarding this LLU stuff, were Plusnet not very close parnters with BT, for example, Trying new products etc before anyone else, etc - i would not be suprised if its bought over by BTopenworld!!!
N/A

J,

Absolutely NOTHING!! would suprise me if F9 PlusNet did get bought out by a competitor. As you say its abit suprising it hasnt happened yet but it soon could IMO.

**I think the main motive for F9 using Tiscarli as a partner & LLU is because F9 can then offer services which make ADSL2+ available & so speeds of 24Megs which it seems BT currently dont have any plans for in the short term.

BT are only going to provide DSL MAX 4/8megs in the short term to domestic customers so as to compete with the likes of Bulldog & NTL Telewest (as NTL now has a 10meg product currently available, so BT is trying to play catch up it would seem?) BT's next offering I have heard vague rumours of something called 21C network but I dont anything about it yet! My guess is that it will be 24megs or above?

**The LLU bit is only Tiscarli putting there own kit into a BT exchange used by F9 PN customers i.e. Tiscarli are only providing the higher speed access to ADSL2+ they are NOT managing the service to customers directly was my understanding. The service would still be managed by PN F9.

Ivan
David_W
Rising Star

From what I know of the 21CN (21st Century Network) its about changing the exchange/phones to be IP based instead of the current setup. So your phone number, for instance, whilst it will still be 01234 1234567 BT's system could register it as err, the 64bit one instead (not 111.111.111.111). Might be mistaken though, but thats pretty much all I know of 21CN.
astarsolutions
Grafter

That's what I understand it to be but I am sure it will bring an improved broadband connection as BT will almost certainly need to improve their existing IP network to support the increased traffic.

I wonder if they will be using IPv6 addresses as BT taking up several million new IP addresses will have to affect the global supply
David_W
Rising Star

Thats the one, IPV6, normal IP's are restricted pretty much, but I think BT envisions a future where everything that uses a phone line, from your phone, to your sky box to your fridge has its own IP address, or something, so only IPV6 could manage such a huge amount of numbers.

Should be an upgrade to the exchanges, not sure what it would mean to DSL though, would most likely still use the same copper wires?